Took comp. for diagnosis...back, I can't open my files!!!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

  1. Posts : 142
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #51

    Bat 1 said:
    I only suggested just "letting it go" since you're uncomfortable trying to change the HDD yourself, and not able to find someone trustworthy that could help you for free or on the cheap. It's really no use to keep trying to get activation on a corrupted OS on a bad hard drive, You could get a 1TB 7200 RPM mechanical drive or small SSD for under 60 Bucks and the Dell would still be very usable for web surfing or as a backup for the new laptop if there's nothing else wrong with it. Before you make the purchase I'd suggest running MemTest on the RAM from a USB boot. Even though the "cheapo capacitor" problem had been solved by the time the desktop was manufactured, I'd still suggest someone with a magnifying glass take a close look at the capacitors surrounding the CPU given that the airflow in some SFF Cases can lead to overheating problems. With all that said, You'll still Need to do a Fresh Install of a Operating System on the new HDD. It would then be your choice whether to install Win 7 and re-do the Free upgrade or Win 10 and call M$ support to get activation, The Win 10 may activate itself if only the HDD was changed.
    I understand what you say Bat. I like the idea of a mechanical drive for around $60. Is this like an extension drive? Would it replace the corrupted HDD without having to remove it? just ignore it? But...what about the Windows? That techie's diagnosis was that my computer was in pretty good condition, except the HDD "seemed a little old". Another reason why I pursued trying to fix it.

    As mentioned earlier, I intend to keep this thread that's filled with valuable possibilities to get a bad computer going again. Of course if I had a friend who could do all those things (and not only for me) it would be ideal but it so happens they know even less than I!!! Can you imagine??? LOL!

    Anyway, as mentioned, I'll try the MS store and THAT will decide my old friend's destiny! However, if I have the time (and the guts) I'll try to change the HDD. Or...donate it to some homeless organization or something. Thanks again! :)
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1,339
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #52

    You mention the "1809 update" in post #45.
    Is it possible to revert back to 1803?
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1,339
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #53

    Adela said:
    I understand what you say Bat. I like the idea of a mechanical drive for around $60. Is this like an extension drive? Would it replace the corrupted HDD without having to remove it? just ignore it? But...what about the Windows? That techie's diagnosis was that my computer was in pretty good condition, except the HDD "seemed a little old". Another reason why I pursued trying to fix it.

    As mentioned earlier, I intend to keep this thread that's filled with valuable possibilities to get a bad computer going again. Of course if I had a friend who could do all those things (and not only for me) it would be ideal but it so happens they know even less than I!!! Can you imagine??? LOL!

    Anyway, as mentioned, I'll try the MS store and THAT will decide my old friend's destiny! However, if I have the time (and the guts) I'll try to change the HDD. Or...donate it to some homeless organization or something. Thanks again! :)
    This is the hard drive I installed on my Dell Inspiron 580
    ST1000DM010-2EP102 1TB 7200 RPM
    Here is one on Amazon's site
    Amazon.com: Seagate 1TB BarraCuda SATA 6Gb/s 32MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive (ST1000DM010): Computers Accessories
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 934
    xp
       #54

    MeAndMyComputer said:
    Adela, since you like to think out loud that's a good thing.

    You could run Dell's built in pre-boot diagnostics. Upon startup, press F12 repeatedly or hold the key in immediately: you will see F12 Boot Options in the lower right corner of the screen: let it boot into the next screen and use the down arrow to select Diagnostics. Press Enter.
    Let it run
    It goes by pretty quickly but at the top of the page it will check for some time checks (I don't remember the exact wording)
    but then it moves on and checks for system tests, hard drive -DST Short Test I believe, the Optical drive, Video card & Memory. The nice thing about this process is you don't have to touch anything, just let it run. On my computer it takes 5 minutes.
    --- Yours might take longer but let us know if it reports any issues.
    You will get an option to some remaining memory tests but unless you want to select No followed by selecting OK to reboot the computer.

    BTW, did that person state your computer ran Windows 10 on their computer or mention anything about issues when using your hard drive?
    Embarrassed to say I never thought about that, but with the early onset old-timers I forget a lot I'm still quite sure that the Hard Drive will show it's pretty much gone. While external booting though a USB2 port is possible I really wouldn't recommend it. I have a good friend that's a Mod on another Forum that Boots all his computers (except his newest one) from external drives. One (I Think) is the same model as yours. It'd be an extra expense and would require you still go into "the belly of the beast" to install a eSata controller card. Cost of that added to the new Hard Drive and a Hard Drive Enclosure adds up fairly quickly.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 142
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #55

    MeAndMyComputer said:
    You mention the "1809 update" in post #45.
    Is it possible to revert back to 1803?
    I don't know, MeAnd,I was asking Bat 1 whether my computer malady could be due to the update 1809 which I believe you said it was pulled out because of issues. Or did I cite the wrong number by mistake?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 142
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #56

    MeAndMyComputer said:
    This is the hard drive I installed on my Dell Inspiron 580
    ST1000DM010-2EP102 1TB 7200 RPM
    Here is one on Amazon's site
    Amazon.com: Seagate 1TB BarraCuda SATA 6Gb/s 32MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive (ST1000DM010): Computers Accessories
    Thanks so much, if I do change it myself, I'll know where to buy it. Since we both have the same computer then I'll just buy the same HDD. Price is reasonable. Thanks again. :)
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 376
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit Edition
       #57

    If you updated to the 1809, you had 10 days to revert back to 1803..
    I asked on another site if those who lost their files if they made changes in the variables on their PC's and never got an answer.
    I haven't lost any of my files, after rebooting when it installed it had me turn on something for back up on the One Drive.
    only problem I am facing with this 1809 is, App in store some wont update, Edge browser comes up a blank page, and its freezes/locks up more often than it use too. I suspect HP will be updating the BIOS since they shut down their website yesterday for upgrades.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 142
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #58

    Bat 1 said:
    Embarrassed to say I never thought about that, but with the early onset old-timers I forget a lot I'm still quite sure that the Hard Drive will show it's pretty much gone. While external booting though a USB2 port is possible I really wouldn't recommend it. I have a good friend that's a Mod on another Forum that Boots all his computers (except his newest one) from external drives. One (I Think) is the same model as yours. It'd be an extra expense and would require you still go into "the belly of the beast" to install a eSata controller card. Cost of that added to the new Hard Drive and a Hard Drive Enclosure adds up fairly quickly.
    Hey you shouldn't be embarrassed, you're trying to help me and I appreciate it a whole lot! :) It sounds awfully complicated for someone like I, lol! But I should make a book out of this thread called "A SPECIAL TECH DIY" or something and give it to all those amateur techies who are also sweating to fix their monsters! And...you're so right costs would add up quickly, so it wouldn't pay unless it were a newer computer. Thanks again.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 142
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #59

    MrHudson said:
    If you updated to the 1809, you had 10 days to revert back to 1803..
    I asked on another site if those who lost their files if they made changes in the variables on their PC's and never got an answer.
    I haven't lost any of my files, after rebooting when it installed it had me turn on something for back up on the One Drive.
    only problem I am facing with this 1809 is, App in store some wont update, Edge browser comes up a blank page, and its freezes/locks up more often than it use too. I suspect HP will be updating the BIOS since they shut down their website yesterday for upgrades.
    Hello Mr. Hudson and thank you, but I don't know about the updates as they come automatically to me, so I imagine that bad one was also updated. That's the reason I said to Bat 1 that I wondered whether my computer was affected by this bad update and we all think it was the techie who tested it on someone else HDD or something (I really don't know what he did)...

    I'm glad that you survived the bad update so nicely though. :)
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 376
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit Edition
       #60

    I still have the 1803 on a USB.
    Even have the Fall Creators Update on USB.
    Problem I found with the 1803 & 1809, was it doesn't fully shut down. in Task Manager under CPU shows a Up Time, showing the amount of time computer has been on, up and running.
    I can shut mine down for 24hrs, power it back on, open Task Manager and it will show in the CPU (Up Time) that its been on, up and running for 24hrs.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums