Took comp. for diagnosis...back, I can't open my files!!!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 142
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #21

    THANKS AGAIN TO ALL who've given of their precious time to help me so thoroughly! Honestly I'll keep all of this valuable info in a secure folder for any future problems, and I'll print it when I replace my (also kaput) printer, lol! However I'm scared to death to enter a computer's "entrails" :)

    But, due to this and a few other dilemmas in my mind to be resolved, I had forgotten that I still have some time before my Carbonate subscription ends, as they have all of my files and (hopefully) all apps, etc.? I'll have to ask them how to do this next Monday. So I'll be abandoning the desktop and with it all my real headaches! I'll also get rid of gmail which has been making me sick!

    I would've liked to keep the old desktop as a testing tool for if/when my new laptop gets old or with problems. But it really is better to put it out of its misery once and for all.

    But if I'm lucky to find a competent techie (as any of you are) in NYC, then I'll tell him to follow your great advices so I can keep it as a test tool.

    THANK YOU ALL MILLIONS AGAIN. YOU'RE ALL REAL FRIENDS!!!
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 142
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #22

    Hello again, I thought you'd all be interested to know that thanks to your diverse recommendations, I learned that I can only get back my W10 by either reactivating it or phoning Windows. The former: I can't get to the Activation page since it doesn't let me do ANYTHING AT ALL on its blue screen, and the latter: the man got me the Windows phone #. But when I called, first thing it said: "You must be at the Activation Page", so that's that. I asked the techie to phone me step by step in front of my computer to find that blessed Activation Page, that as a techie he should know how. Haven't heard from him yet.

    Meanwhile I'm miserable trying to sort out all the data transferred to my new computer by Carbonite. I didn't know they just dumped all files spread out in any old way and that I had to reinstall my email program and put the files where they belonged!!! They also don't do Gmail(?) and said 114 files had errors while transferring so those aren't saved either!!! At my screaming they offered to do it for me for $50 and I took it. I'm sort of working on both computers now at the same time. I'm finished using Carbonite or any other site and will explore to use an HDD extension. (BTW, the customer service doing this is a separate site hired by Carbonite).

    In rereading all your answers, I can't believe how wonderfully knowledgeable you all seem to be on computers! And how kind too! I take my hat to you!!! However...I'm up to here with computers. I should've been born in the 1900s or earlier, lol!
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1,339
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #23

    Hello Adele It would be good to identify your computers

    Computer #1: Dell: Please post the model including the Service Tag
    --- If you are able to go on-line, contact Microsoft to access their Virtual agent
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/
    Tell them something like this
    I had my Windows 10 computer serviced but now I cannot activate it.
    --- Include how long you had been successfully using Windows 10 so that they’ll know you did have a legally activated Windows 10.
    --- Let them know you had called a Microsoft phone number you were given but have not heard back.
    Can you help me?
    --- Earlier this year one of my friends had some issues on his Windows 10 and contacted Microsoft by telephone: at first they hesitated to help him but he politely but vehemently told whoever he was speaking with that he had Windows 10 because he wants it and he’s under the impression Microsoft wants us to be able to be on Windows 10 so he expects them to address his Windows 10 situation.
    --- They took control of his computer: it took a couple of hours but his computer has been as good as new since then.
    --- Be ready to provide whatever information they need.

    Computer #2: New computer: Please post the Make/model
    --- This is so we can relate to what you are looking to do on this computer.

    Consider filling in your system specs
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums | Windows 10 Tutorials
    Last edited by MeAndMyComputer; 18 Oct 2018 at 13:12.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,339
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #24

    You might find this article interesting and you can access the Virtual Agent from here also.
    Why can't I activate Windows?
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...s-why-activate

    These were interesting to me
    “If your PC was repaired or rebuilt, it's possible that a different version of Windows was installed. Or, if a different product key was used for your PC during repair, that key might be blocked if it was used on more PCs than allowed by the Microsoft Software License Terms.”

    EDIT: It would be nice if a re-install as has been recommend would work and I would prefer a re-install to be attempted first but the above comment about the possibility of a different product key being used is concerning to me.
    Last edited by MeAndMyComputer; 18 Oct 2018 at 13:17.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 142
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #25

    MeAndMyComputer said:
    Hello Adele It would be good to identify your computers

    Computer #1: Dell: Please post the model including the Service Tag
    --- If you are able to go on-line, contact Microsoft to access their Virtual agent
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/
    Tell them something like this
    I had my Windows 10 computer serviced but now I cannot activate it.
    --- Include how long you had been successfully using Windows 10 so that they’ll know you did have a legally activated Windows 10.
    --- Let them know you had called a Microsoft phone number you were given but have not heard back.
    Can you help me?
    --- Earlier this year one of my friends had some issues on his Windows 10 and contacted Microsoft by telephone: at first they hesitated to help him but he politely but vehemently told whoever he was speaking with that he had Windows 10 because he wants it and he’s under the impression Microsoft wants us to be able to be on Windows 10 so he expects them to address his Windows 10 situation.
    --- They took control of his computer: it took a couple of hours but his computer has been as good as new since then.
    --- Be ready to provide whatever information they need.

    Computer #2: New computer: Please post the Make/model
    --- This is so we can relate to what you are looking to do on this computer.

    Consider filling in your system specs
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums | Windows 10 Tutorials
    Oh I'm sorry MeAndMyComputerI guess I got carried away with my computeritis and forgot to clarify things. Thanks so much for your additional help!!!

    Computer #1: Dell desktop; Model Inspiron Slim Tower Intel Pentium dual-core E5500 (2.80GHz, 2MB); Tag # 3ZDRKN1.

    Computer #2 (around 2 months old): Lenovo Laptop; Model 81DN001UUS; Description: 17" 15 Small Buy - 15 8250U/8GB (DDR4). I don't think they have a tag #).

    What a wonderful luck your friend had in getting Windows back! I immediately went to the MS agent but though it offered the space and invitation to write I wasn't able to type I don't know why. My MS loggin? If I remember when I tried yesterday to log into MS, it didn't recognize it so I tried to change it and perhaps that's the problem. I'll attempt to get rid of any loggins and start anew. I really must try your great advice and hope I find out why it doesn't let me type... It seems each step I take to fix hese 2 monsters it comes with some obstacle which makes it more complicated.

    As soon as I find a file where I copied all specs of at least the desktop (Comp. #1), since the Lenovo didn't describe it so well, I'll fill it in tenforums.com (right now I'm between 2 "half-done" computers and it's difficult to find things)... :)
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,339
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #26

    I have used these phone numbers when I helped some of my friends
    Customer service: 800-936-5700 Microsoft 800-642-7676
    --- I believe the customer service number led me to the correct department but in both cases the person I spoke with was very professional and helpful.
    --- Maybe one of them or both will be helpful for you to know.

    EDIT: I just called both numbers to verify that they are still in use and they are.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 142
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #27

    MeAndMyComputer said:
    I have used these phone numbers when I helped some of my friends
    Customer service: 800-936-5700 Microsoft 800-642-7676
    --- I believe the customer service number led me to the correct department but in both cases the person I spoke with was very professional and helpful.
    --- Maybe one of them or both will be helpful for you to know.

    EDIT: I just called both numbers to verify that they are still in use and they are.

    THANK YOU so much! I'll try them now, or tomorrow morning if they're closed. Great that they have a human answering as the one the techie gave me for Windows: 888-725-1047 is all strictly automated, you can't put in one word, but maybe others with the "right" problems could use it?

    I'll tell them what your friend told them which sounds good and concise, rather than telling my long, drawn out story, lol! and hopefully some good action will come out of it.

    I wish any of you, wonderful techies whether professionals or amateurs, lived in NYC so I could hire you to fix these 2 machines' maladies once and for all, and it would be very much worth the cost to me as opposed to not being able to use even the new laptop because of problems with my passwords in restoring (guess I'm the culprit here this time)...Plus trying to fix myself things of which I know NADA! Wishful thinking eh?
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,339
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #28

    On those phone numbers, you will have to go through a menu, but you will get to a live person.
    You might want to consider another thread for your Lenovo laptop.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 142
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #29

    MeAndMyComputer said:
    On those phone numbers, you will have to go through a menu, but you will get to a live person.
    You might want to consider another thread for your Lenovo laptop.
    Hi, I called the first (CS) number and talked with a lady. She tried several things and decided that, although not the best choice, I had to go with Reset which will remove apps and programs and change settings to their defaults plus reinstalling Windows (well...at least I'll finally get my Windows! lol. She suggested I could take it to the Microsoft store near where I live to see if they have other ideas. And yes, just as you said, she was very polite, patient and helpful. Maybe I will take it over there after all, despite having developed a rather dislike for techies like the one who caused me ALL this mess and didn't even offer to unmess it!

    Again, THANKS SO MUCH! You are a very kind and helpful soul! :) Adela
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,339
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #30

    When you bring the computer to the Microsoft store, point out the following items along with the information you already have.

    In post #5, Mooly mentions “There may well be a sticker on the PC somewhere (underneath ?) showing the original W7 license”.
    --- Please double check and see if there is one: it can be used to install your Windows 10.

    Also ask about this for version 1803.
    Windows 10 April 2018 Update now available
    Download Windows 10

    The goal is to get the correct activation back.
    --- I believe if you let them know you have a Microsoft account it will be helpful.

    Go to Windows PowerShell (admin), copy and paste slmgr.vbs /dli and see what it reports.
    --- I don’t know how helpful the information will be but it will be interesting to see what it reports.
    --- In your start page, right click on the Windows icon and left click on Windows PowerShell (admin).

    Mine looks like this.
    Took comp. for diagnosis...back, I can't open my files!!!-slmgr.jpg
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums