Windows 10: Help to stop windows 10 search box constantly popping up
Stopping the New-And-Improved Cortana
I had the same problem and none of the suggestions worked so I came up with this solution: Use Safe Mode to allow you to rename the folder containing this malfunctioning application, "Cortana". I posted the solution. Now with a new Windows 10 update, THE PROBLEM HAS RETURNED AND MY PREVIOUS SOLUTION NO LONGER WORKS.
Now, a "Cortana" process prevents renaming the offending folder, and if you end the process, it comes back from the dead in a few seconds! (&^@! Microsoft!). So the revised solution times the rename within the few seconds it takes Windows to restart Cortana after you end the previous incarnation. The details:
1. Click the Start button (lower left).
2. Select "Power".
3. Hold down the Shift key, and click "Restart".
4. Select "Troubleshoot", then "Advanced Options", then "Startup Settings".
5. Click "Restart".
6. Press "4" to enable Safe Mode on the next startup.
7. Restart and log in.
8. Start Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\SystemApps
9. Rename the folder with "Cortana" in the name. (The convention I use is to put an "x" before the original name, so it's obvious it's been renamed, and can be restored.) It will prompt you for the Administrator password. Then it will tell you it can't rename because another program is using the folder. There will be a "Retry" button. Just leave this dialog for now.
10. Start Task Manager and end the "Cortana" task that's locking the folder. Then QUICKLY click the Retry button (in the previous dialog) to rename the folder. (You have to do this before Cortana restarts in a few seconds.)
11. Restart normally. Cortana will never bother you again!
Last edited by Alan Balkany; 17 Sep 2016 at 15:42.
Reason: Spelling mistrake
I just got my new Dell Inspirion laptop yesterday and the pop up just started this morning for me. I tried some off these options and then restarted. I'm now on the getting Windows ready screen. I can't seem to find the touch pad settings
You are a genius...Thankyou. Death to Cortana...
the simple fix, just switching off Cortana titbits, has (so far) worked for me , thanks
Cortana Taskbar Tidbits - Turn On or Off in Windows 10
Last edited by Brink; 07 Nov 2016 at 09:54.
Reason: added tutorial link for more info
I had the same infuriating problem, Your solution sorted it, MANY THANKS!!
So the problem I've been having with Windows 10 is that it is constantly freezing on me and loops the sound over and over until it unfreezes. The computer is unresponsive and acts like it is about to bluescreen but it doesn't. After it unfreezes, it...
Yesterday I upgraded my PC from Windows 7 to windows 10, and today I started having problems running games where everything was getting very hitchy. I checked my memory and CPU usage and noticed that my memory is now constantly at 90% or greater....
I have my personal laptop with me at work today. It is now downloading Win10 10166, but its at about 30% and I don't think it will finish by the time I get out of work (in about 30 minutes). Can I just shut down Windows in the middle of the download...
Hope this is the right forum.
Has anyone else been experiencing multiple windows popping up when clicking links in settings windows? Its not every link, but its a lot of them, too many to list.
When I click the start button and start typing to search for something, I want it to search on my computer, not internet too. Can this be changed to do that?
If I want to search the web I'll open Google.