Windows 10: What should I set my pagefile to after upgrading my ram?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.   My ComputersSystem Spec

  2. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 5,274
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint
       6 Days Ago #12

    The written recommendation in Windows 7 Help about virtual memory/paging file was for 1.5 times the physical RAM. I always found that turning it off, rebooting to delete the file then setting the Max and Min to the same number kept the paging file from being fragmented. Also always found a processing speed improvement when having 2GB on the Windows drive [for those programs that looked for it during their installing] and the balance on a second physical drive in the computer.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...it-versions-of
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 62
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       6 Days Ago #13

    Ok, updated to the most recent version will try it now see if the benchmark is better, I also checked in Bios and it is in AHCI Mode as well. Still about the same, its a bit faster but no where near where it should be. Hit about 28 mb/s write on the sequental.

    I seem to be missing a motherboard driver, Intel Software Guard Extensions. Is this needed? Doesn't seem to be anything to do with the HDD or SSD's its never been installed apparently.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    6 Days Ago #14

    I've got 32 GB RAM on my i7-6700 Z170 mobo (Asrock Extreme7+). By default, Windows sets my paging file to 2 GB.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	203921

    With your memory configuration, you shouldn't need more than 4GB. But as other, wiser heads have said before me: "Let Windows do it!" That's what I did with my PC, too.
    HTH,
    --Ed--
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    5 Days Ago #15

    Berton said: View Post
    The written recommendation in Windows 7 Help about virtual memory/paging file was for 1.5 times the physical RAM. I always found that turning it off, rebooting to delete the file then setting the Max and Min to the same number kept the paging file from being fragmented. Also always found a processing speed improvement when having 2GB on the Windows drive [for those programs that looked for it during their installing] and the balance on a second physical drive in the computer.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...it-versions-of
    Not really applicable to an SSD. Especially if the second drive in the computer is a spinner HDD.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. ThrashZone's Avatar
    Posts : 3,626
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64
       5 Days Ago #16

    Hi,
    Open device manager and see if there is a listing for Other devices
    Right click any of them and click on update driver
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	203942
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7. ThrashZone's Avatar
    Posts : 3,626
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64
       5 Days Ago #17

    EdTittel said: View Post
    I've got 32 GB RAM on my i7-6700 Z170 mobo (Asrock Extreme7+). By default, Windows sets my paging file to 2 GB.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	203921

    With your memory configuration, you shouldn't need more than 4GB. But as other, wiser heads have said before me: "Let Windows do it!" That's what I did with my PC, too.
    HTH,
    --Ed--
    Hi,
    I believe the minimum is 200mb
    Any lower and there won't be any crash dumps.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 62
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       5 Days Ago #18

    ThrashZone said: View Post
    Hi,
    Open device manager and see if there is a listing for Other devices
    Right click any of them and click on update driver
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	203942
    Here is what mine says and there isin't a updated driver for either. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02496508114c1dc14c45fbe1ce6394bb.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	203948

    Maybe I should make this as solved and make a new thread for the ssd specifically.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. ThrashZone's Avatar
    Posts : 3,626
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64
       5 Days Ago #19

    Hi,
    You're not even using the manufactures chipset driver
    You have a standard MS crap driver sometimes a large difference.
    You'll have to manually install the chipset driver from the manufactures website of the mother board or oem like dell/....
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    19 Hours Ago #20

    Scyris said: View Post
    How would I go about checking that? If it helps its a MSI b250 Pc Mate motherboard.
    Also check if the drive is encrypted, its OK to do a document folder, DON"T do the whole drive, it slows down considerably.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Related Threads
pagefile.sys: 20 GB - reduce? in General Support
My pagefile.sys on an Acer Aspire E 15 (Acer E5-573) is 20 GB big. Could / should one resize it? If yes, how? swapfile.sys is only 16 MB big. Is it OK?
Pagefile on SD card in Performance & Maintenance
Hi I have an Acer One 10 2-in-1 with 32 GB storage and 32GB SD card, and I am trying to move the pagefile to the SD to free up space on the main storage. So I went to Advanced system settings Virtual Memory and disabled page file on C, and set...
Hi All, I am trying to determine the Proper Size for my Pagefile.. I have seen numerous posts and lots of different info.. Ithink I am supposed to et it at 1.5 to 2.0 times my Ram amount.. I was wondering what the experts had to say about...
Pagefile question in Performance & Maintenance
Older Dell XPS - W10, 8G RAM, 1TB HDD, i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67 GHz. I have constant crushes after waking up from the sleep mode - "Page Fault in Non Paged Area". I saw a recommendation to disable "Automatically manage paging......." Currently...
Should I disable the pagefile? in Performance & Maintenance
Just curious if I have enough memory to disable the pagefile without causing any harm?? 91117 I have no idea how this happened! It's an older laptop that hasn't been booted in a year or so. It really has 8 GB of system memory, but...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53.
Find Us