Open app in cmd in specific task view


  1. Posts : 4
    Windows 10
       #1

    Open app in cmd in specific task view


    I am trying to open apps in command line and I want it to open in a specific task view.
    Is this possible?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 8,755
    Mac OS Catalina
       #2

    kimondoe said:
    I am trying to open apps in command line and I want it to open in a specific task view.
    Is this possible?
    Why go to all of that work.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 4
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    bro67 said:
    Why go to all of that work.
    I have this .bat file that opens up apps and that .bat file is run on startup
    I also want the apps to be opened in a specific task view.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 8,755
    Mac OS Catalina
       #4

    kimondoe said:
    I have this .bat file that opens up apps and that .bat file is run on startup
    I also want the apps to be opened in a specific task view.
    It depends on if the app allows for flags. Windows Apps are not designed to be really user friendly by design. Placing shortcuts in the Start folder will allow them to run, vs one huge bat file that you could end up having programs not always run if there is not a delay or specified to have the batch file go back and attempt to run the program if it will not on first start.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 4
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    bro67 said:
    It depends on if the app allows for flags. Windows Apps are not designed to be really user friendly by design. Placing shortcuts in the Start folder will allow them to run, vs one huge bat file that you could end up having programs not always run if there is not a delay or specified to have the batch file go back and attempt to run the program if it will not on first start.
    hmm.. let's just assume the app runs successfully using the .bat file and want to transfer the app to another task view. Is there a command in command line that transfers an app to a specific task view?
    and I am not talking about command line options of a windows app.
    Just plain command in command line.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 12,590
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #6

    Instead of the Command Prompt maybe a script in PowerShell would work? I think there's a several-part of a Tutorial about PowerShell uses.
      My Computers



  7. Posts : 152
    Windows 10 Pro/Education x64
       #7

    I'm not sure I understand the OP's query. Does the OP want the apps to open on one virtual desktop and not the other provided the OP has at least two virtual desktops running? Or is the OP trying to have task view open upon startup so he can view the open apps that also run from the .bat file?
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 3,155
    Win10
       #8

    Berton said:
    Instead of the Command Prompt maybe a script in PowerShell would work? I think there's a several-part of a Tutorial about PowerShell uses.
    As Berton said, to get you started have a look here;
    Script Powershell commands to manage virtual desktops of Windows 10
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 4
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    titetanium said:
    I'm not sure I understand the OP's query. Does the OP want the apps to open on one virtual desktop and not the other provided the OP has at least two virtual desktops running? Or is the OP trying to have task view open upon startup so he can view the open apps that also run from the .bat file?
    At startup, I already have 3 task views opened.
    So I want .bat file to start my apps and I want it to be opened on a specific task view.

    But if it is not possible on .bat, I'll look into powershell as suggested.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums