Accidentally disabled MS services, nothing works to get back in

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1

    Accidentally disabled MS services, nothing works to get back in


    Hi all. I couldn't install a program and someone recommended I perform a clean boot. I disabled MS services instead of deselecting them and now my password to Windows is not accepted.

    I created an ISO file from another computer and tried to boot from that (on a USB hard drive). I opened the troubleshooting with shift-click and tried to run msconfig from a command prompt, but it wasn't found. The startup settings button is not present booting from the USB either. Have had no luck getting into safe mode. Now I simply tried to reinstall Windows from that ISO (my important files are on Dropbox) but the program is saying I cannot install on that drive because of BitLocker.

    What should I do?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    #2

    Dumbdumbhead said: View Post
    Hi all. I couldn't install a program and someone recommended I perform a clean boot. I disabled MS services instead of deselecting them and now my password to Windows is not accepted.

    I created an ISO file from another computer and tried to boot from that (on a USB hard drive). I opened the troubleshooting with shift-click and tried to run msconfig from a command prompt, but it wasn't found. The startup settings button is not present booting from the USB either. Have had no luck getting into safe mode. Now I simply tried to reinstall Windows from that ISO (my important files are on Dropbox) but the program is saying I cannot install on that drive because of BitLocker.

    What should I do?
    See this thread:

    Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    #3

    Thank you for responding. As far as I can tell, that thread has all of the things I've tried that haven't been working. In particular, I haven't gotten anything out of the "repair your computer" option after booting from the USB drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    #4

    Dumbdumbhead said: View Post
    Thank you for responding. As far as I can tell, that thread has all of the things I've tried that haven't been working. In particular, I haven't gotten anything out of the "repair your computer" option after booting from the USB drive.
    Hmmm! this is weird. . . Never had this problem on my end. I do disable services in services.msc, but I go by a list on another website that tells me if it's safe to disable or not. . .

    http://www.blackviper.com/service-co...onfigurations/


    Can you somehow perform a clean install from the Bootable USB Drive? You'll lose everything, but it MIGHT be your only option.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    #5

    No, the installer says I don't have access to any of the partitions on my actual hard drive. I can take a picture if that might help.

    I guess there is the option of calling the manufacturer for advice on how to do a factory restore.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    #6

    Dumbdumbhead said: View Post
    No, the installer says I don't have access to any of the partitions on my actual hard drive. I can take a picture if that might help.

    I guess there is the option of calling the manufacturer for advice on how to do a factory restore.
    Take a picture and post it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7.   My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 42,428
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       #8

    Suggestion:

    When you get to that screen with all the partitions listed, like in your pics, just delete all the partitions, all of them, one by one. You will end up with 1 big unallocated partition. That's where you want to install to. Windows will make all the partitions it needs.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    #9

    Can you clone the other computer to your problem HDD,Macrium is recommended and then do a clean install?Temporarily moving a HDD is fiddly but uncomplicated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    #10

    Try shutting the PC down and logging IN using the local Administrator account.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
I am running a host with Windows 10 Pro and multiple VMs (I am no longer using HyperV, that's a disaster, I'll save that discussion for another thread). Because it's a host, I want as few running bits as possible. I disabled a week ago all...
I was attempting to figure out how to fix my internet connection, and there was an option which said disable, which i thought would temporarily disable my connection and allow me to simply reconnect. i hit that disable button, and all of the wifi...
Can anybody tell me what this service is and why i cant disable it? I cant find anything on Google about it? I can stop the service....but I cant choose any other option that AUTOMATIC. Thanks in advance 118703
Does anyone have a list with the services that can be disabled in W10? Without affecting functions like Wi-Fi or using wireless mouse, USB.
Hi guys today I made a mistake in the start-up services tab and I put disable all services, so when i start windows 10 it stays in the "photo" screen like it when you power up after suspending windows. Basically here is the process I followed...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:01.
Find Us