How to Hide Fonts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1

    How to Hide Fonts


    Microsoft help documents state that if you hide installed fonts, they won't show up in programs anymore. However, I have hid many of the fonts, especially the foreign language fonts and they still show up in programs like Microsoft Word.

    How do I get them to stop showing up in these programs. They are extremely annoying?

    Also, is there a way to categorize them besides alphabetically? Like group them via Body Text, Titles, Headers, etc.?

    Thanks for any help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 26,439
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #2

    Fonts and languages are installed during a clean install of Windows.
    The end user can decide which language to use along with the default fonts.
    Sometimes the unused languages and fonts take up needed space in the partition.
    The languages an fonts can be uninstalled but this is not using control panel.
    If you are comfortable using command line the unneeded languages and fonts can be uninstalled.
    If you are not comfortable using command line then others may come up with another strategy for troubleshooting the unwanted fonts.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    #3

    The problem with uninstalling fonts is that I might need them later. I just want to hide them so they don't annoy me so much when I look through my list of fonts that I use regularly, a list that's very small.

    zbook said: View Post
    Fonts and languages are installed during a clean install of Windows.
    The end user can decide which language to use along with the default fonts.
    Sometimes the unused languages and fonts take up needed space in the partition.
    The languages an fonts can be uninstalled but this is not using control panel.
    If you are comfortable using command line the unneeded languages and fonts can be uninstalled.
    If you are not comfortable using command line then others may come up with another strategy for troubleshooting the unwanted fonts.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    #4

    Copy the unwanted font files to a save location.
    Then uninstall them.
    Then, later, when you think you need them you can reinstall them. But that will likely be never.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    #5

    I guess I'll do that.

    But, why doesn't hiding work? Isn't that the entire purpose of the "hide" function on the font page?

    Why is the Windows OS so buggy?

    margrave55 said: View Post
    Copy the unwanted font files to a save location.
    Then uninstall them.
    Then, later, when you think you need them you can reinstall them. But that will likely be never.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 5,826
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, WinXP Home Premium, Linux Mint
       #6

    You can use Fonts that have not actually been installed yet, just tried it with a .ttf Font by copying and pasting in the Fonts Folder. I was using WordPerfect. When done I just deleted it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7.    #7

    For me, Fonts that are hidden in Control Panel...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000157.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	196565

    ... do not show in Win32 apps such as Paint and Notepad;

    but they don't show as hidden in Settings...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000158.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	196566

    and remain visible in UWP apps and Word and the like.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    #8

    What a useless feature then if "hiding" only works in Paint or Notepad. Why create the feature at all?

    Edwin said: View Post
    For me, Fonts that are hidden in Control Panel...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000157.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	196565

    ... do not show in Win32 apps such as Paint and Notepad;

    but they don't show as hidden in Settings...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000158.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	196566

    and remain visible in UWP apps and Word and the like.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    #9

    It will probably work in any application ... if the app obeys the API rules.
    I guess Paint does. And Notepad does. Others don't?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. Barman58's Avatar
    Posts : 3,029
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1903 - 18362.53 XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing
       #10

    There are third party solutions to control the Fonts "situation" on Windows - It appears that every single application loads some form of font collection from a few to a lot. One application I've been using for a long time Is the Totally Free Nexus Font from Xiles

    The application allows you to build a set of your "essential Files" which are kept as always in the Fonts folder, you can then create collections, based on Font type, Italic, Regular, Fancy, Headline and /or final usage, Letters, Advertisement, greeting Cards Etc which are stored in another folder or folder tree. This folder be stored at another location and add and remove them quickly, as you need to.

    When you add a font or collection it is copied into the fonts folder so become available to applications, if you then remove a font or collection the fonts are not available
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
I had not realized it until I tried to use some fonts on Photoshop. The fonts are shown on the fonts menu but they don´t seem to be available. In the folder C:\Windows\Fonts such fonts that were previously installed are no longer available. ...
Hi guys. All my browsers (Edge, Firefox, Chrome) show blurry fonts on certain websites (see image below). I noticed I have this issue after I installed some OTF fonts. Is there a way to fix it? Many thanks in advance 123156 123158
When I connect to an external monitor (LG 34 inch Ultra via HDMI), my laptop folder fonts (only when attaching a file to email, uploading files etc.) are VERY small. To get them the right size, I have to make the laptop the main monitor and that...
Auto-Hide doesn't hide taskbar in General Support
I have Windows10 with dual monitors. When I start Windows the taskbar on Monitor 2 is visible and won't move. If I turn Cortana on and off it resumes auto-hiding but I have to do this every time I start Windows 10. Any ideas?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:51.
Find Us