Windows 10: How to Disable auto Shortcut Creation Solved

  1.    05 Jul 2018 #1

    How to Disable auto Shortcut Creation


    Windows is creating shortcuts on my desktop to removable drives. I deleted them several times but it keeps recreating this shortcuts. I looked a bit on google and have seen that some programs are able to create shortcuts to removable drives on your deskop automatically but I never downloaded or installed such programs.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	desktop.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	194665
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 37,033
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       05 Jul 2018 #2

    ricardobohner said: View Post
    Windows is creating shortcuts on my desktop to removable drives. I deleted them several times but it keeps recreating this shortcuts. I looked a bit on google and have seen that some programs are able to create shortcuts to removable drives on your deskop automatically but I never downloaded or installed such programs.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	desktop.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	194665
    You have "Hide Protected System Files" unchecked. I see the desktop,ini on your desktop. Go into folder view and check it to hide them.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-07-05_12h40_13.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	194666
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    05 Jul 2018 #3

    I disabled to show hidden files protected system files and the shortcuts are still there

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	still.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	194667
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 37,033
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       05 Jul 2018 #4

    ricardobohner said: View Post
    I disabled to show hidden files protected system files and the shortcuts are still there

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	still.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	194667
    try logging off and back on.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    05 Jul 2018 #5

    When I log out and back the shortcuts are not there but they quickly appear after a couple of seconds.

    Don`t know if this has something to do with it but they reappear shortly after I get this message:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finish installing Sync icons.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	194673
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 37,033
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       05 Jul 2018 #6

    ricardobohner said: View Post
    When I log out and back the shortcuts are not there but they quickly appear after a couple of seconds.

    Don`t know if this has something to do with it but they reappear shortly after I get this message:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finish installing Sync icons.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	194673
    That's a new one on me. Never seen that before.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 37,033
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       05 Jul 2018 #7

    You have Desktop Folder in your OneDrive? Check there to see if those links are there. If so, delete them. They may be coming back from the "Cloud".
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    05 Jul 2018 #8

    I think I figured it out now.

    I right clicked on one of the shortcuts, Proprieties, Shortcut and the "Comment" part there was something interesting:

    "Created by Virtual CD 10"

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (1).png 
Views:	17 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	194677

    So I went to the Virtual CD settings, "Display of Drives" and unchecked the "Removable media (such as USB flash drives)" option. It looks like the shortcuts are gone for good now.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (2).png 
Views:	16 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	194678

    Thanks for the help @f14tomcat
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 37,033
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       05 Jul 2018 #9

    ricardobohner said: View Post
    I think I figured it out now.

    I right clicked on one of the shortcuts, Proprieties, Shortcut and the "Comment" part there was something interesting:

    "Created by Virtual CD 10"

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (1).png 
Views:	17 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	194677

    So I went to the Virtual CD settings, "Display of Drives" and unchecked the "Removable media (such as USB flash drives)" option. It looks like the shortcuts are gone for good now.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (2).png 
Views:	16 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	194678

    Thanks for the help @f14tomcat
    Hah! A hiding culprit! Glad you got it worked out!
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Solved Disable auto save? in General Support
Okay so when i shut down my pc directly and close a specific app like discord. then shutting down immediatly using the start button when i turn on my pc again chrome automatically opens with that tabs last night and discord which i exited didnt...
Hi, first, I want you to try an example of what I am talking about, then see if you know how to fix this problem on your end. Right click on your Desktop and create a new folder. Inside that folder, right click New > Bitmap image. Do the same...
Hello, there's this annoying setting that causes Windows 10 to automatically create a desktop.ini file into a folder when I move only pictures in there. I was able to disable this in Windows 8.1 somehow, but it doesn't seem to work in Windows 10....
Every time I create a new file, regardless of file type, Win 10 automatically creates a link in C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windoes\Recent. How can I disable the automatic creation of such links? Win10 Home 64-bit
How do I disable auto-login on W10 in User Accounts and Family Safety
I've tried http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disable-automatic-logon-of-last-user-in-window-8/ which some say work for 10 but it doesn't for me. I'm on x64 up to date. One account has a password the other doesn't, and every time I boot it it auto...

Tags for this Thread

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09.
Find Us