Windows 10: Microsofts Ever Increasing Data Collection

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    29 Jun 2018 #11

    davefaz said: View Post
    It's not a good idea to get me started on the subject of data collection.

    I absolutely do not care what Microsoft thinks it needs or wants. I paid for my operating system and I do not expect it to spy on me, for whatever reason, unless I give them permission, and the fact that they don't ask for permission makes me very angry indeed. The problem is that you really don't have any choice in the matter other than not installing windows, which for most people is not a choice at all.
    The simple fact is that 1984 has actually come true. The only real difference is that people allowed it to happen rather than being forced.
    I am very concerned about the way companies just seem to think they have a right to know everything about you.
    Secondly I absolute hate targetted advertising! I noticed this with games in particular on Steam. It keeps trying to sell me games based on the results of various algorithms. The problem I have with this is that it ONLY presents me with those games, so it is in effect guiding down a path of it's own choosing. Youtube does the same. You watch one video about this and that and it stereotypes you and presents you with only what it thinks you will like. And sometimes I find that disturbingly wrong. Watch a particular news channel and you are suddenly present with nothing but far right wing videos. Watch a video about space and you are suddenly find yourself wandering in to alien conspiracy theories. I really just wish they would offer the option to opt out of this force-feeding. I mean this is a cross between 1984 and The Minority Report. How much longer before computers decide you need to be monitored in case you are a terrorist? Well, actually, in some countries that's not that far away. Let's hope their algorithms are better than Amazons.
    Suggest you move to Linux then. This sort of uninformed rant is tiresome and after three years, we are really BORED at this garbage.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 448
    Ubuntu 18.04, win 8.1 pro
       29 Jun 2018 #12

    davefaz said: View Post
    It's not a good idea to get me started on the subject of data collection.

    I absolutely do not care what Microsoft thinks it needs or wants. I paid for my operating system and I do not expect it to spy on me, for whatever reason, unless I give them permission, and the fact that they don't ask for permission makes me very angry indeed. The problem is that you really don't have any choice in the matter other than not installing windows, which for most people is not a choice at all.
    The simple fact is that 1984 has actually come true. The only real difference is that people allowed it to happen rather than being forced.
    I am very concerned about the way companies just seem to think they have a right to know everything about you.
    Secondly I absolute hate targetted advertising! I noticed this with games in particular on Steam. It keeps trying to sell me games based on the results of various algorithms. The problem I have with this is that it ONLY presents me with those games, so it is in effect guiding down a path of it's own choosing. Youtube does the same. You watch one video about this and that and it stereotypes you and presents you with only what it thinks you will like. And sometimes I find that disturbingly wrong. Watch a particular news channel and you are suddenly present with nothing but far right wing videos. Watch a video about space and you are suddenly find yourself wandering in to alien conspiracy theories. I really just wish they would offer the option to opt out of this force-feeding. I mean this is a cross between 1984 and The Minority Report. How much longer before computers decide you need to be monitored in case you are a terrorist? Well, actually, in some countries that's not that far away. Let's hope their algorithms are better than Amazons.
    It is a breath of fresh air and a pleasure to discover there is actually people that can still use the brain, i found your post quite informative and interesting, thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    29 Jun 2018 #13

    davefaz said: View Post
    It's not a good idea to get me started on the subject of data collection.

    I absolutely do not care what Microsoft thinks it needs or wants. I paid for my operating system and I do not expect it to spy on me, for whatever reason, unless I give them permission, and the fact that they don't ask for permission makes me very angry indeed. The problem is that you really don't have any choice in the matter other than not installing windows, which for most people is not a choice at all.
    The simple fact is that 1984 has actually come true. The only real difference is that people allowed it to happen rather than being forced.
    I am very concerned about the way companies just seem to think they have a right to know everything about you.
    Secondly I absolute hate targetted advertising! I noticed this with games in particular on Steam. It keeps trying to sell me games based on the results of various algorithms. The problem I have with this is that it ONLY presents me with those games, so it is in effect guiding down a path of it's own choosing. Youtube does the same. You watch one video about this and that and it stereotypes you and presents you with only what it thinks you will like. And sometimes I find that disturbingly wrong. Watch a particular news channel and you are suddenly present with nothing but far right wing videos. Watch a video about space and you are suddenly find yourself wandering in to alien conspiracy theories. I really just wish they would offer the option to opt out of this force-feeding. I mean this is a cross between 1984 and The Minority Report. How much longer before computers decide you need to be monitored in case you are a terrorist? Well, actually, in some countries that's not that far away. Let's hope their algorithms are better than Amazons.
    Do some research on what the various intelligence agencies can gather from you. That should make you really really angry
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    29 Jun 2018 #14

    roy111 said: View Post
    It is a breath of fresh air and a pleasure to discover there is actually people that can still use the brain, i found your post quite informative and interesting, thanks.
    I assume you are being sarcastic, as I did not see one iota of factual information, and I had to prop my eyelids open with matches to get to the end of the rambling diatribe without falling asleep.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 448
    Ubuntu 18.04, win 8.1 pro
       29 Jun 2018 #15

    cereberus said: View Post
    I assume you are being sarcastic, as I did not see one iota of factual information, and I had to prop my eyelids open with matches to get to the end of the rambling diatribe without falling asleep.
    Hi Cereberus, I was surely a bit hyperbolic, to stress the concept that there are different opinions, but not sarcastic at all.

    Have a good nap
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    29 Jun 2018 #16

    cereberus said: View Post
    Suggest you move to Linux then. This sort of uninformed rant is tiresome and after three years, we are really BORED at this garbage.
    That's not going to save anybody from that problem. Microsoft is at least under great scrutiny from many places and organizations but who's watching Linux ? Open source, everybody's welcome to modify in any way and use any information any way they please and with so many distros and their modifications that it's practically impossible to keep tabs on them. Some distros I installed had me pinpointed on the map without me entering anything or signing in anywhere.
    To say nothing about Google (and their OSs), Facebook etc. Don't even get me started on phones, smart and dumb alike !!!
    As for W10, no it's not "It's mine, I payed for it", anybody using it had EULA to read and much to read about, it's practically rented, not owned and moment it's used you agreed to all in the contract.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    29 Jun 2018 #17

    CountMike said: View Post
    anybody using it had EULA to read
    Oh come on, no-one reads EULA - be sensible! I'd probably fall asleep if I read one but in any case they (MS, Google, whatever) can and will do whatever they want.

    I think privacy really is a valid concern (and why the OP was attacked for this idk) but it is terribly hard to deal with.

    On my Android phone I only allow Signal through the firewall - nothing else at all. I usually use TOR for sites I don't want recorded. I usually encrypt my email. Is that enough? Almost certainly not but one can try.

    Anyway I think @Brink answered the question in the second post.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    29 Jun 2018 #18

    lx07 said: View Post
    Oh come on, no-one reads EULA - be sensible! I'd probably fall asleep if I read one but in any case they (MS, Google, whatever) can and will do whatever they want.

    I think privacy really is a valid concern (and why the OP was attacked for this idk) but it is terribly hard to deal with.

    On my Android phone I only allow Signal through the firewall - nothing else at all. I usually use TOR for sites I don't want recorded. I usually encrypt my email. Is that enough? Almost certainly not but one can try.

    Anyway I think @Brink answered the question in the second post.
    Nobody reads manuals and instructions either, men don't like asking for directions but options are there for a reason. Just try pleading not guilty because you didn't know about a low, see how far that get's you !!!
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    29 Jun 2018 #19

    The issue is not that Microsoft is collecting data; the issue is that no one really knows what kind of data is being collected. This is one of the downsides of Windows not being open source.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. lehnerus2000's Avatar
    Posts : 1,784
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.3 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home 1703 (64 bit), W10 Pro 1703 (64 bit) VM
       29 Jun 2018 #20

    cereberus said: View Post
    I assume you are being sarcastic, as I did not see one iota of factual information, and I had to prop my eyelids open with matches to get to the end of the rambling diatribe without falling asleep.
    Good to hear that there is no Telemetry in W10 and that the altruistic Corporations (Facebook, Google, MS, etc.) aren't sucking up everyone's personal Intellectual Property to boost profits, but they are only concerned about people's welfare and universal peace.


    lx07 said: View Post
    I think privacy really is a valid concern (and why the OP was attacked for this idk) but it is terribly hard to deal with.
    The greatest success of W8 (and now W10) was to create a group of rabid Windows fanboys (just like Apple has).

    The irony is that back in the days of W7, a lot of these jokers used to rail against companies that did this sort of stuff.
    Last edited by lehnerus2000; 29 Jun 2018 at 22:11.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Threads
Hi all. Just done a clean install of 1709. I see there's no HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection directory. Does this mean they've hidden it away elsewhere and there's something else we need to alter to stop...
Microsoft Silently Renames Data Collection Service in Windows 10, Causes More Confusion 49488 Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-silently-renames-data-collection-service-in-windows-10-causes-more-confusion-496481.shtml
Microsoft CEO on Windows 10 Data Collection: We Spent Billions to Keep Your Info Secure Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/microsoft-ceo-on-windows-10-data-collection-we-spent-billions-to-keep-your-info-secure-496350.shtml
How to disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10 Windows 10 now comes with the telemetry feature enabled by default which collects all sorts of user activity and sends it to Microsoft. Unfortunately, Microsoft has provided no way to...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:15.
Find Us