Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
  1.    09 Aug 2015 #141
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    I'm in the ghetto
    Posts : 705
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    There already is. When you enter a new retail windows 10 key, and activate, the hardware hash is sent to Microsoft's servers, and you can then re-activate your new full retail copy without having to re-enter it on subsequent reinstalls.
    But...I don't understand...how can license misuse be so problematic then?? Are MS really that useless on enforcement??

    Edit: I mean, if they can't be bothered to enforce then why bother with the EULA at all? It just doesn't make sense...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    09 Aug 2015 #142
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyMe View Post
    But...I don't understand...how can license misuse be so problematic then?? Are MS really that useless on enforcement??

    Edit: I mean, if they can't be bothered to enforce then why bother with the EULA at all? It just doesn't make sense...
    Licenses are legal documents. Suppose they find a major corporation that is pirating their software. If they stand to make millions off of suing them, they will have the license to fall back on.

    Activation is one of those "keeping honest people honest" things. It's there to make it annoying enough that most people will just do the right thing, rather than waste a lot of effort on doing the wrong thing. It's in lieu of enforcement.

    Tell me, how many individual people get sued over pirating a personal copy of Photoshop? I've never heard of any.

    Again, this is not advocating it, not by any means. I'm just explaining why there is a license, and why most people get away with it if they choose to violate it, and why such a license is not futile.

    A license is the equivalent of a "No Trespassing" sign. You might cut through a yard with a no-trespassing sign every day of your life, but if someone starts throwing a party on the property, you can bet the cops will get called.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    09 Aug 2015 #143
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyMe View Post
    But...I don't understand...how can license misuse be so problematic then?? Are MS really that useless on enforcement??

    Edit: I mean, if they can't be bothered to enforce then why bother with the EULA at all? It just doesn't make sense...
    The same retail license is activated on ten different machines in one month. It is perfectly legal for a person to do that so long as they uninstall it from the previous machine first. How is Microsoft going to prove that the user didn't uninstall it from the previous machine before installing it on the next? And don't forget, the American legal system is likely different than yours. Convictions in our legal system are based upon the presentation of lawfully obtained physical evidence.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    09 Aug 2015 #144
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    I'm in the ghetto
    Posts : 705
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The same retail license is activated on ten different machines in one month. It is perfectly legal for a person to do that so long as they uninstall it from the previous machine first. How is Microsoft going to prove that the user didn't uninstall it from the previous machine before installing it on the next? And don't forget, the American legal system is likely different than yours. Convictions in our legal system are based upon the presentation of lawfully obtained physical evidence.
    See earlier posts above. Because the checksum on the license key would identify the misuse. It is up to MS whether they choose to enforce or not. I'm guessing the reason they do not, is no doubt because enforcement against each individual home user would be financially restrictive. Still makes a mockery of the whole EULA. They may as well do away with it completely for retail home users and just hammer the corporates. Then their servers wouldn't currently be so overwhelmed, with countless folks worldwide unable to activate for possibly many more weeks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    09 Aug 2015 #145
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyMe View Post
    See earlier posts above. Because the checksum on the license key would identify the misuse.
    But, again.....it is not a matter of Microsoft proving the same key was activated on 10 different computers. Because that is legal to do. It is a matter of Microsoft proving that it was not uninstalled on previous computers first.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    09 Aug 2015 #146
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    I'm in the ghetto
    Posts : 705
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    But, again.....it is not a matter of Microsoft proving the same key was activated on 10 different computers. Because that is legal to do. It is a matter of Microsoft proving that it was not uninstalled on previous computers first.
    That's what I'm saying. If a retail EULA is totally unenforceable then it may as well be done away with for retail licenses. It becomes redundant. It serves no purpose. The only people who lose out on the whole thing as it stands, are MS and their honest customers.

    It would be like bringing in prohibition for alcohol and tobacco. The only people who would lose out in that scenario are honest people who happen to enjoy a drink and a smoke. The only people who would gain are those that run their operations outside the law. Again the whole thing would be and has historically been unenforceable and is the reason why prohibition, regardless of the health impacts, does not exist.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    09 Aug 2015 #147
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyMe View Post
    That's what I'm saying. If a retail EULA is totally unenforceable then it may as well be done away with for retail licenses. It becomes redundant. It serves no purpose. The only people who lose out on the whole thing as it stands, are MS and their honest customers.

    It would be like bringing in prohibition for alcohol and tobacco. The only people who would lose out in that scenario are honest people who happen to enjoy a drink and a smoke. The only people who would gain are those that run their operations outside the law. Again the whole thing would be and has historically been unenforceable and is the reason why prohibition, regardless of the health impacts, does not exist.
    Corporations are still the largest purchaser of consumer licenses. Most PC's come with a standard consumer EULA, even those sold to corporations. Only large corporations tend to use site-licensed corporate editions. I've worked in companies with 500-1000 users who still rely on standard consumer OEM licensing.

    The part you aren't quite getting is that you don't really understand what a license is. If there is no license, then a user has no rights to copy or use the software. This is the default behavior of copyright. A license gives a specific user the right to do things that are otherwise illegal for them to do (use the software, copy it under specific conditions, etc..), so a license must always exist or legally people would not be able to use it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    09 Aug 2015 #148
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    I'm in the ghetto
    Posts : 705
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    The part you aren't quite getting is that you don't really understand what a license is.
    I can assure that I do. Please see this thread that I began a couple of days ago regarding licensing as evidence of my total awareness of the applicable legalities.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    If there is no license, then a user has no rights to copy or use the software. This is the default behavior of copyright. A license gives a specific user the right to do things that are otherwise illegal for them to do (use the software, copy it under specific conditions, etc..), so a license must always exist or legally people would not be able to use it.
    You misunderstand me. I'm just saying there is no point having a retail license version available to purchase if no-one is going to enforce it and prevent the unlawful use of the software. If Microsoft don't enforce retail licenses then they may as well only sell OEM and corporate licenses. Or just go open source lol...

    imho
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    10 Aug 2015 #149
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 42
    Win10

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    So, when you install clean on a new PC, there is no way to get the OLD OS KEY sent to the activation servers, because your old OS no longer exists on the machine. All you have is the generic key, and there is no way to map it back to your original OS>
    It is very easy. They can store whatever they want along with your hardware id (the key you upgraded with).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    10 Aug 2015 #150
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 42
    Win10

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The same retail license is activated on ten different machines in one month. It is perfectly legal for a person to do that so long as they uninstall it from the previous machine first. How is Microsoft going to prove that the user didn't uninstall it from the previous machine before installing it on the next?
    They don't have to prove anything. They just have to invalidate the previous machine you installed it on. So when that machine talks to the activation server next time, it will no longer get status as activated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Does Win8 Pro Retail licence carry over to Win10 Pro upgrade?
Gday all Trying to get my situation sorted. I have just upgraded my Win 8 Pro Retail version. Everything has gone smooth touch wood. Being a retail license, I can use this copy on one machine at any time. ie I build a new machine I still...
Windows Updates and Activation
Will I be able to install Win10 upgrade on a new SSD?
My Win7.1-64 system is very old and I need to do a clean install of Win10. My current Win7 is installed on an old SSD so I decided to get a new one, which I now have. My plan was to create a Win10 ISO flash drive, replace my current SSD boot...
Installation and Upgrade
You Can Upgrade to Win10 Pro for a 1 Now
If you are running Windows 10 Home Edition and want to upgrade to Pro you can do it for about 1 English or 14:99 Swedish kroner. To do this click on Start then Settings. Now click on Update and Security then on Activation and you will see the...
General Support
Solved Running 8.1Pro RTM, will I get the win10 upgrade?
Right now I'm running an activated win8.1 pro RTM version of windows. Since I'm running RTM will I be able to upgrade to win10 for free? Thanks :)
Windows Updates and Activation
W10 Insider Prev upgrade to Win10 full vs of W7/8 upgrade to W10
Read somewhere that the latest Win 10 Insider Prev will be upgrades to Win 10 full when it is released. A good idea to install this sooner rather than upgrading Win 7 / 8.1 to 10?
Windows Insider
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums