Windows 10: Getting full access to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

  1.    30 May 2018 #1

    Getting full access to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps


    I just discovered that I can't open up the WindowsApps folder to view the subfolders AND the Advanced Security Settings greys out the check boxes for full access, etc. Weird part is this message in the yellow box. How can one delete this "corrrupt entry?"

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	190656
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    30 May 2018 #2

    Hey x509,
    IIRC ... it's not actually a corrupt entry, but a special permission/condition (Exists:WIN://SYSAPPID) for Users(Pc-Name\Users) and shouldn't be removed. If you must change permissions on the WindowsApps folder and/or sub folders/files .... I suggest you get familiar with ICACLS first and save the current WindowsApps Folder / Sub Folders / File permissions to a acl.txt file, so you can restore them in case you break something (which is very likely when messing with permissions)

    ICACLS - iCacls - Modify Access Control List - Windows CMD - SS64.com
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    31 May 2018 #3

    users are not supposed to have access to WindowsApps folder. only the windows store apps them self are allowed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 8,550
    10 Home x64 (1803) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       31 May 2018 #4

    x509 said: View Post
    ..Weird part is this message in the yellow box. How can one delete this "corrrupt entry?"
    Eagle51 said: View Post
    IIRC ... it's not actually a corrupt entry, but a special permission/condition (Exists:WIN://SYSAPPID) for Users(Pc-Name\Users) and shouldn't be removed...
    I've seen that misleading 'corrupt entry' before, but 1803 seems to have been fixed to show the special permissions correctly. Do not mess with the permissions, not if you want your apps to continue working...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WindowsApps permissions 1803.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	190706
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    31 May 2018 #5

    Bree said: View Post
    I've seen that misleading 'corrupt entry' before, but 1803 seems to have been fixed to show the special permissions correctly. Do not mess with the permissions, not if you want your apps to continue working...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WindowsApps permissions 1803.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	190706
    OK guys, you have convinced me to NOT mess with these permissions.

    By the way I'm still running 1709 because one of my key apps has a serious issue with 1803.

    x509
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 8,550
    10 Home x64 (1803) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       01 Jun 2018 #6

    x509 said: View Post
    OK guys, you have convinced me to NOT mess with these permissions.
    Why did you want to look in WindowsApps in the first place? There are ways, even without changing permissions. For example, TreeSize Free when run as administrator can look inside.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TreeSize - WindowsApps.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	190809

    I use the Portable Apps version. https://portableapps.com/apps/utilit...-free-portable
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    03 Jun 2018 #7

    Bree said: View Post
    Why did you want to look in WindowsApps in the first place? There are ways, even without changing permissions. For example, TreeSize Free when run as administrator can look inside.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TreeSize - WindowsApps.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	190809

    I use the Portable Apps version. https://portableapps.com/apps/utilit...-free-portable
    I keep track of all my software installs, including the installed directory. I maintain three different Win 10 systems, and this installs database helps me to better maintain installed apps.

    Thanks for the tip about TreeSize Free. I use that app, and it's a great tool.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Hi! I recently installed the SSD and Windows 10 on my device. I had Windows 7 on HDD and now I put this drive to external enclosure. Now I want to copy my data to my SSD on Windows 10 but I need to take ownership and get full access to files and...
Windowsapps access denied in Software and Apps
hello guys..I cannot gain access to WindowsApps folder on my secondary disk, even after giving myself permission in Windows 10..!!!!!
I already googled it and every tutorial is the same. When I go to do it, it doesn't work. I don't have a Microsoft account. I specified a local account user name. This is what I'm selecting as owner. The computer is not transferring access to the...
Hello guys. I followed this guide to gain access for WindowsApps folder, and it worked. Now, I changed default drive for WindowsApps, to install Gears of War and Quantum Break(in future) in a larger drive. But the method to gain access to the...
Finally in version 10565 you are able to move/install Apps to other location than C:\Program Files\WindowsApps To change permissions for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps to be able to see what was inside the folder was easy however to do the same on...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26.
Find Us