Windows 10: Is It Worth Reinstalling 10 Pro On This Laptop?

  1.    07 May 2018 #1

    Is It Worth Reinstalling 10 Pro On This Laptop?


    I have a 2013 Toshiba Satellite S50 (specs below) that I only use for traveling (3-4 months/year.) Originally a Win 7 Pro, it was upgraded to 10 Pro. It's painfully sluggish but before I shell out $$$ for a new laptop I'd like to ask if reinstalling or formatting and installing 10 Pro fresh then only putting core programs (Office, browsers, Photoshop, etc.) could make a big difference.

    I'm guessing that no one can tell me for sure, and big difference is relative to each of us. Can you look at these specs and guide me as to whether this level of hardware should zip right along with a clean install? Thanks!

    CONFIGURATION
    Custom built computer 1 $649.98
    BASE0253 Satellite S50 customized 1
    BAT0032 4 cell lithium-ion Battery 1
    CAM0019 HD webcam and microphone 1
    CPU0412 Intel Core i5-4200U dual core processor 1
    GFX0004 Integrated Graphics 1
    HDD0087 500GB 5400RPM SATA hard drive 1
    LAN0002 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN 1
    LCD0096 15.6" 1366X768 TruBrite LED backlit LCD 1
    MEM0136 12GB (8GB+4GB) 1600MHz DDR3L memory 1
    ODD0004 DVD Supermulti drive +/- double layer 1
    OS0131 Windows 7 Professional with Windows 8.1 Pro recove 1
    PCB0109 Motherboard type 1 1
    SEGM0002 Segment 2 1
    WLAN0006 Wireless b/g/n Wi-Fi 1
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    07 May 2018 #2

    All your specs are good except for the Hard Drive. the 5400 RPM mechanical HDD is the bottle neck. You can replace it with a 512 GB SSD drive for less then a new computer, and doing a fresh clean install of Windows 10 etc would make it a nice computer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    07 May 2018 #3

    spunk said: View Post
    All your specs are good except for the Hard Drive. the 5400 RPM mechanical HDD is the bottle neck. You can replace it with a 512 GB SSD drive for less then a new computer, and doing a fresh clean install of Windows 10 etc would make it a nice computer.
    Yes, thanks, I was just considering that.

    Can you point this relative novice to the best option and instructions for reinstalling on the new hard drive? And for the specs above, will a 2.5 inch SATA III work in this laptop?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    07 May 2018 #4

    Installing a SSD will make a drastic improvement to your laptop's performance. First try to upgrade your current PC to Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool since you might still be lucky to get the free upgrade to Windows 10 and your digital licence.

    You can then either transfer your current installation to the new SSD using the excellent Macrium Reflect Free or do a clean install on the new SSD. My enclosed guide gives some useful tips for the Reflect transfer option.
    SSD Transfer.pdf
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    07 May 2018 #5

    Steve C said: View Post
    Installing a SSD will make a drastic improvement to your laptop's performance. First try to upgrade your current PC to Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool since you might still be lucky to get the free upgrade to Windows 10 and your digital licence.

    You can then either transfer your current installation to the new SSD using the excellent Macrium Reflect Free or do a clean install on the new SSD. My enclosed guide gives some useful tips for the Reflect transfer option.
    SSD Transfer.pdf
    Thanks, Steve. The laptop has been upgraded to 10 Pro for a while now, with updates. So the move seems to be replace the drive with an SSD. When replacing the drive, how important is the thickness of the SSD? I don't know how thick my old HDD one is. And do happen to have a tutorial on how to do a fresh reinstall? Thanks!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    07 May 2018 #6

    chamlin said: View Post
    Thanks, Steve. The laptop has been upgraded to 10 Pro for a while now, with updates. So the move seems to be replace the drive with an SSD. When replacing the drive, how important is the thickness of the SSD? I don't know how thick my old HDD one is. And do happen to have a tutorial on how to do a fresh reinstall? Thanks!
    In my experience SSDs tend to be much thinner than HDDs - check the manufacturer's web site to be sure.

    See this clean install guide on the forum Clean Install Windows 10

    I would make a Reflect image after the clean install and archive it. Also download any drivers you might need from your laptop manufacturer's site.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    07 May 2018 #7

    Thanks Steve. Will do!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    07 May 2018 #8

    You say that it's painfully sluggish with Windows 10. But, was it painfully sluggish with Windows 7?

    This is a low-end laptop. It's interesting that it has 12 GB of RAM, yet has only a feeble 5400 RPM disk drive.
    But if it performed well with Windows 7 then I suspect that Windows 10 ought not be a problem.

    Perhaps there are driver problems? The SSD drive replacement will help, but I don't think that will be the fix-all.

    If this were your main, go-to PC I suggest replacing it. Old computers (especially old laptops) just aren't worth the trouble to fix or to upgrade.
    But if it's only for occasional use that's a tough call.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    07 May 2018 #9

    margrave55 said: View Post
    You say that it's painfully sluggish with Windows 10. But, was it painfully sluggish with Windows 7?

    This is a low-end laptop. It's interesting that it has 12 GB of RAM, yet has only a feeble 5400 RPM disk drive.
    But if it performed well with Windows 7 then I suspect that Windows 10 ought not be a problem.

    Perhaps there are driver problems? The SSD drive replacement will help, but I don't think that will be the fix-all.

    If this were your main, go-to PC I suggest replacing it. Old computers (especially old laptops) just aren't worth the trouble to fix or to upgrade.
    But if it's only for occasional use that's a tough call.
    Good question. It was my late wife's laptop so I don't really know how it was on Win 7. From a Specs perspective, what specs would be required in a new laptop, with an SSD and Windows 10 Pro need to have to ensure health speed. I'm not gaming or anything, but browsing, Office, and Photoshop photo and video editing (not hardcore stuff, basic.) Thanks!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Acer laptop: BIOS update, worth it? in Drivers and Hardware
Hello, I own an Acer E5 575G-5622 laptop. Recently bought this machine, it came with 1.12 BIOS version. If I see drivers for my laptop, it also shows me BIOS updates. Currently v1.29 BIOS update is available for this machine. My question is that...
I am going to sell a laptop which currently has Win 10 installed (originally the laptop shipped with Win 8, I opted for the free upgrade). It is the only drive in the laptop and has Win 10 on it, so to be on the safe side I would prefer to do a full...
Hi all I have recently bought a laptop, i7 with 2 HDs (128GB SSD and a 1TB HD). I bought it from Computer Exchange (CEX), a UK second-hand electrical store that I have been using for about 20 years. So my question is, how would I do a...
Solved 4k worth it or is it me in Graphic Cards
A general query or is it observation. Running an UltraHD/4k 27" LG HD IPS monitor at 1920x1080 using display port. Recently updated to x64 CU and made the resolution adjustments to 3840x2160 - 200% scaling. Personally I cannot see the point....
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16.
Find Us