W10 Spring Creators Update 2018 (1803) Bricked my PC Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    11 Apr 2018 #1

    W10 Spring Creators Update 2018 (1803) Bricked my PC


    Basically, I am unable to access anything except settings. All my files icons are locked and just opening up the File Explorer makes it go "Not Responding".

    I would take a screenshot and post it here, but that is impossible because I can't open up anything except settings. Before I attempt a rollback, is there anything I could do?

    Specs: AMD FX 8320
    R9 270X
    8 GB RAM
    1 TB HDD
    256 GB SSD <- Windows 10 is installed here
    128 GB SSD

    Everything worked perfectly before this update.


    The interesting thing is that I did the exact update on my laptop, went through the exact same procedures, yet there are no perceivable issues on my laptop. So why is it broken on my desktop?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    11 Apr 2018 #2

    Hi there

    can you open Windows (reboot) in SAFE MODE or "Repair system"

    That often works.

    Otherwise quickest way is to perform an Image restore (you DID take one before a major update didn't you !!!!).

    Free macrium etc make this job simple so there shouldn't be any reason for NOT having a backup.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. sgage's Avatar
    Posts : 834
    Windows 10 Home (Build 17134.320)
       11 Apr 2018 #3

    If you can boot at all, your computer is not 'bricked'. Broken, but not bricked.

    ThatOthell said: View Post
    Basically, I am unable to access anything except settings. All my files icons are locked and just opening up the File Explorer makes it go "Not Responding".

    I would take a screenshot and post it here, but that is impossible because I can't open up anything except settings. Before I attempt a rollback, is there anything I could do?

    Specs: AMD FX 8320
    R9 270X
    8 GB RAM
    1 TB HDD
    256 GB SSD <- Windows 10 is installed here
    128 GB SSD

    Everything worked perfectly before this update.


    The interesting thing is that I did the exact update on my laptop, went through the exact same procedures, yet there are no perceivable issues on my laptop. So why is it broken on my desktop?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 168
    Windows 10 Pro, Version 1809, Build 17763.1
       11 Apr 2018 #4

    Hi All,
    As jimbo stated "Free macrium etc make this job simple so there shouldn't be any reason for NOT having a backup." , that's saved me more than once ! I also have used a 'rescue disc', to get my system functioning properly once again...also a 'system disc' has helped me previously. ThatOthell, I know how you feel..it's rather frustrating when our system's act up on us, but at least for me..that's how we learn.
    David
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    11 Apr 2018 #5

    ThatOthell said: View Post
    So why is it broken on my desktop?
    There are literally thousands of variables that would differ from your laptop to the desktop. It's impossible to test for every setup, which is why Microsoft is asking the community to do some of that testing and report back what doesn't work.

    That all being said, you quickly realize how embarrassing and ridiculous it is that Apple has so many issues with phone and OSX updates.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 168
    Windows 10 Pro, Version 1809, Build 17763.1
       11 Apr 2018 #6

    I'd STILL rather have windows any day than an apple product !!
    David
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. ThrashZone's Avatar
    Posts : 4,192
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64
       11 Apr 2018 #7

    DeaconFrost said: View Post
    There are literally thousands of variables that would differ from your laptop to the desktop. It's impossible to test for every setup, which is why Microsoft is asking the community to do some of that testing and report back what doesn't work.

    That all being said, you quickly realize how embarrassing and ridiculous it is that Apple has so many issues with phone and OSX updates.
    Hi,
    Besides you who the heck brought up Apple and why would you lol
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    11 Apr 2018 #8

    Seemed relevant at the time, given another prominent thread on this subsection.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. ThrashZone's Avatar
    Posts : 4,192
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64
       11 Apr 2018 #9

    DeaconFrost said: View Post
    Seemed relevant at the time, given another prominent thread on this subsection.
    Hi,
    Not so much to me but seems you want the flame to continue in other threads
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 168
    Windows 10 Pro, Version 1809, Build 17763.1
       11 Apr 2018 #10

    I won't mention apple again..but maybe banana..
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
So I "upgraded" to this. They added the nifty feature (not) of web search in the Start Menu. You cannot just disable it with the remove Cortana registry key. That disables Cortana, but not the Web Search. I believe I found all the settings to...
I read that it was going to some users the other day and wanna know if people have gotten it yet. As well as want to know what Microsoft borked this time. See: Windows 10 April 2018 Update will be available Monday, April 30 - Windows 10 Forums
I updated to the Springs Creators Update Version 1803. I have about 6 email registered on the Windows Mail App, but only 3 are showing on the left side under accounts. If I go to Manage Accounts all emails show up. I have done a Reset on the Windows...
Read more: Windows 10 'Redstone 4' official name looks to be Spring Creators Update | ZDNet See also: Another Windows 10 version overview Red Pill BLOGS UPDATE: Rumor: Next Windows 10 feature update to be called “Windows 10 April update” ...
Source: The Xbox Spring Update Begins Rolling Out to Insiders Today - Xbox Wire See also: New Xbox One Preview Alpha System Update (1804.180227-1801) - Mar. 1 Xbox - Windows 10 Forums 969337774619860992
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:06.
Find Us