Windows 10: What Has My File Folder Open -- Not Me! Trying To Rename Folders Solved


  1. Posts : 7
    Windows 10 Home (64bit) English
       26 Mar 2018 #1

    What Has My File Folder Open -- Not Me! Trying To Rename Folders


    I am really new to 10 and am slowly trying to get it figured out!

    Today I'm attempting to rename some file folders and every time I try a message opens saying that file (folder) is open in another program. What program has it open, how do I find out or can I and why is this happening?

    Lastly, how do I rename the folders I want to rename?

    Thanx for any help! :)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    27 Mar 2018 #2

    rkclark said: View Post
    I am really new to 10 and am slowly trying to get it figured out!

    Today I'm attempting to rename some file folders and every time I try a message opens saying that file (folder) is open in another program. What program has it open, how do I find out or can I and why is this happening?

    Lastly, how do I rename the folders I want to rename?

    Thanx for any help! :)
    Hi rkclark and welcome to Tenforums.
    You can right-click any file or folder and select RENAME in the dialogue box that pops up. If you have something open, it can't perform the name change. Even if everything is closed, but you have a backup running, and the backup program may be accessing a file, and you will not be able to rename it. You can see what programs are running by right-clicking on an empty area in the taskbar, and selecting Task Manager.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 7
    Windows 10 Home (64bit) English
    Thread Starter
       27 Mar 2018 #3

    simrick said: View Post
    Hi rkclark and welcome to Tenforums.
    You can right-click any file or folder and select RENAME in the dialogue box that pops up. If you have something open, it can't perform the name change. Even if everything is closed, but you have a backup running, and the backup program may be accessing a file, and you will not be able to rename it. You can see what programs are running by right-clicking on an empty area in the taskbar, and selecting Task Manager.
    Right, I understand how to rename a file folder and files and I understand if that particular file or folder is open the renaming cannot be done. In the instances I talked about to my knowledge and after searching that or those particular files or folders were not open. I didn't open them so I didn't know where to look to see what had them open. I'd never encountered that, not being able to rename a file or folder because it was open elsewhere, in Windows 7.

    I did learn though that right-clicking on an empty space on the task bar it will bring up Task Manager. That's great to know!

    Thanks so much for your help!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    27 Mar 2018 #4

    Next time it happens, try signing out of your user account, and then signing back in - see if that doesn't release whatever it is that's got a hold of your file/folder.

    You can right-click the start button, and select Shutdown or Signout>Signout, then log back in and see if you can make the name change.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 7
    Windows 10 Home (64bit) English
    Thread Starter
       28 Mar 2018 #5

    simrick said: View Post
    Next time it happens, try signing out of your user account, and then signing back in - see if that doesn't release whatever it is that's got a hold of your file/folder.

    You can right-click the start button, and select Shutdown or Signout>Signout, then log back in and see if you can make the name change.
    Thank you again! :)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    28 Mar 2018 #6

    Get Lock Hunter. It's free. It will tell you what program is locking a file. (The result is often surprising.)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    28 Mar 2018 #7

    I agree with Margrave about LockHunter. And FWIW, File Assassin (from MalwareBytes) is also good as well. If you can figure out what's locking files or folders, you're one big step toward fixing the problem.
    HTH,
    --Ed--
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 7
    Windows 10 Home (64bit) English
    Thread Starter
       28 Mar 2018 #8

    margrave55 said: View Post
    Get Lock Hunter. It's free. It will tell you what program is locking a file. (The result is often surprising.)
    Thanx! I'll give it try!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 7
    Windows 10 Home (64bit) English
    Thread Starter
       28 Mar 2018 #9

    EdTittel said: View Post
    I agree with Margrave about LockHunter. And FWIW, File Assassin (from MalwareBytes) is also good as well. If you can figure out what's locking files or folders, you're one big step toward fixing the problem.
    HTH,
    --Ed--
    Thanx, so many choices!!

    Here's one I came across, Unlocker. It lets you rename files that are locked. I tried it and it unlocked all the files but one and said it would be unlocked or unblocked at next reboot and it was.

    I want to try the Lock Hunter one to see what's locking my files!

    Thanx again! :)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    03 Apr 2018 #10

    >>Edited: It turns out this didn't work. It did at first but the problem remains...
    I can't figure out how to delete this post, only edit.<<

    I have fixed this problem (finally!) ...I hope.Turn off Sharing.
    Go to Settings>Network and Internet. From here, under Settings, select "Sharing Options". Here you can "Turn Off Network Discovery."
    I think some little "piece" was being held on to in order to be ready to share.(My kindergarten level understanding and explanation)

    Btw, I used Lock Hunter and found that the folder(s) was(were) being locked by 'explorer.exe': That's fine and dandy...and it IS probably the program locking it, but the permission or whatever that instructs explorer to do this is the real problem, I think. Explorer.exe is not something for the novice (like me) to mess with.
    Last edited by Stanlish; 03 Apr 2018 at 00:54.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Hello, My windows 10 just got an update for v1709, after that, Got an issue , Rename folder/file command is not working in any drive (HDD also USB) , but on desktop/userfolder its working fine. i searched google but got no solutions regarding...
Dear all, I am using windows 10 64 bit. I found I cannot rename folder or file by clicking or right-clicking after updated to kb4041994. It doesn't give any response if I try to rename. I can only rename the files on my "Desktop", but cannot on...
Every time I get one of these involuntary updates from Microsoft, my PHOTOGRAPHS folder is renamed MUSIC. The folder icon changes also. Up to now it has merely been a nuisance. But after the most recent update, the RENAME option disappeared from...
First off. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum :o So I have had Windows 10 for a couple of months now, and have never had any issues up until now. Whenever I try to rename a folder/ add new folder file explorer freezes as soon as i touch the...
I modified the registry to add "Take Ownership" and followed your instructions. I am the only user on my computer and the only administrator, but I still can't delete a file or rename it. It still says that I need to be an administrator to delete...

Tags for this Thread

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:23.
Find Us