Windows 10: WinCmdRef

  1.    4 Weeks Ago #1

    WinCmdRef


    I just downloaded WinCmdRef.exe and after it opens it remains blank. All the commands are in the left column but when clicked nothing appears in the right to show any explanation. So is this a regular occurrence or am I the only one to suffer glitches today?
    WinCmdRef has little or nothing in google that is understandable. Now there are several on-line pages that have most of the information but always in very, very, shortened explanation. Mostly no switches.

    fb2
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 6,426
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       4 Weeks Ago #2

    fb2 said: View Post
    I just downloaded WinCmdRef.exe...
    Are you sure @fb2? The only official WinCmdRef I can find to download from Microsoft is a Compiled HTML help file - WinCmdRef.chm

    Oh, and it works fine for me - but only after I had unblocked it. Until then it was blank as you describe.

    TenForums tutorial: Unblock File in Windows 10

    ...Now there are several on-line pages that have most of the information but always in very, very, shortened explanation. Mostly no switches.
    Try this one: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ndows-commands

    PS: WinCmdRef was published in 2011 and only goes up to Windows 7. My link is more recent, but still only goes up to Windows 8. Most commands haven't changed, but a few have extra switches in 10. For up to date details of each command, type it's name in a command prompt followed by the /? switch.
    Last edited by Bree; 4 Weeks Ago at 19:26. Reason: PS:
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    4 Weeks Ago #3

    reply to bree


    Bree said: View Post
    Are you sure @fb2? The only official WinCmdRef I can find to download from Microsoft is a Compiled HTML help file - WinCmdRef.chm
    Oh, and it works fine for me - but only after I had unblocked it. Until then it was blank as you describe.

    { Bree, Thanks for the information as to the "unblock" command. When employed on the 'WinCmdRef' executable it works just fine! }


    { I looked at this page which you referenced above and I like it. In it's HTML format it is a little more cumbersome but it works }

    Bree said: View Post
    PS: WinCmdRef was published in 2011 and only goes up to Windows 7. My link is more recent, but still only goes up to Windows 8. Most commands haven't changed, but a few have extra switches in 10. For up to date details of each command, type it's name in a command prompt followed by the /? switch.
    { Thank you very much for the informative reply. You solved several problems for me. }

    fmb2nd/fb2
    Last edited by Brink; 4 Weeks Ago at 15:01. Reason: fixed quote boxes
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 6,426
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       4 Weeks Ago #4

    fb2 said: View Post
    Thank you very much for the informative reply. You solved several problems for me.


    Glad to have helped.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45.
Find Us