GPT SSD Disk - Manage EFI multi-boot for partitions Windows 10 and 8.1 Solved

  1.    19 Mar 2018 #1

    GPT SSD Disk - Manage EFI multi-boot for partitions Windows 10 and 8.1


    Hi

    >>> I have SSD Samsund Evo 850 250GB MBR and i clone it(with "mini tool partition software") to my new SSD Samsung Evo 850 500GB in MBR type.

    Let you know my Samsung 250GB Volumes
    It has 4 primary ntfs partitions . 1st System Reserved, 2nd Windows 10, 3rd Windows 8.1 , 4th Recovery Partition

    >>>Then i use windows 10 recovery and with cmd i try- -- bootrec /fixmbr , /fixboot , /rebuildbcd and recover MBR in my new 500GB SSD
    I boot and everything was good. I have option to multi-boot Win10 or Win8.1:)

    >>>>> I boot Laptop With "WinPe SergeiRec" and i use "MiniTool_Partition Ultimate edition" to convert my new 500Gb from MBR to GPT.

    Also i try "Hasleo EasyUEFI" to rebuild EFI system Partition.
    Then i reboot my Laptop and it boots only in Windows 10. It does not have multiple option to boot Win 10 or Win 8.1

    >>>>>> Then i boot Windows 10 Only and install "EasyUEFI Professional" and try to Rebuild EFI Partition Again!
    But i understand that i can only make efi bootable only Win10 or Win 8.1.

    Then i create a new fat32 Efi Partition 200MB and i Rebuild Efi Partition .
    So now i have 2 x Efi Partition for Win10 and for Win8.1 and with "EasyUEFI Professional" i made 2 EFI Boot Orders.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So because i did not have EFI partitions and GPT disk table (i only know to manage MBR)
    my questions are


    1)So for every OS it need to Create EFI fat32 Partition?
    2)How to manage and edit partition? How to rename EFI boot OS ? How to make default Boot Order?
    3)Is there any software to install to manage all i need? I think that Clover is for me?
    4)Can i use Grub2 to manage it?


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GPT.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	181490Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GPT2.PNG 
Views:	1 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	181491Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GPT3.PNG 
Views:	1 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	181492Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GPT4.PNG 
Views:	1 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	181493

    Thank you for all
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. topgundcp's Avatar
    Posts : 2,438
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       19 Mar 2018 #2

    1)So for every OS it need to Create EFI fat32 Partition?
    Yes and No.
    Yes, If you plan to boot the OS separately (On a separate disk).
    No, If you dual boot
    2)How to manage and edit partition? How to rename EFI boot OS ? How to make default Boot Order?
    How to manage and edit partition? If you are referring to EFI System, mount it using: mountvol S: /s ===> Mount the EFI System partition and assign to letter S:
    How to rename EFI boot OS ? You don't rename the EFI System partition, the partition is hidden.
    How to make default Boot Order? In Windows, Win+R=>Msconfig=>Boot, select one and set it to Default.
    3)Is there any software to install to manage all i need?
    Try: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/installing.html#windows
    4)Can i use Grub2 to manage it?
    Probably but need to boot into Linux to manage.


      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    19 Mar 2018 #3

    topgundcp said: View Post
    Yes and No.
    Yes, If you plan to boot the OS separately (On a separate disk).
    No, If you dual boot

    How to manage and edit partition? If you are referring to EFI System, mount it using: mountvol S: /s ===> Mount the EFI System partition and assign to letter S:
    How to rename EFI boot OS ? You don't rename the EFI System partition, the partition is hidden.
    How to make default Boot Order? In Windows, Win+R=>Msconfig=>Boot, select one and set it to Default.

    Try: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/installing.html#windows

    Probably but need to boot into Linux to manage.


    Thank you for your reply.

    So now how can i solve my last problem....to make multiboot win 10+Win 8.1 ?
    What are the steps?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 37,780
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       19 Mar 2018 #4

    Bodo David said: View Post
    Thank you for your reply.

    So now how can i solve my last problem....to make multiboot win 10+Win 8.1 ?
    What are the steps?
    Good tutorial here on TF to guide you thru:

    Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8 Windows 10 Tutorials
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5. topgundcp's Avatar
    Posts : 2,438
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       20 Mar 2018 #5

    Based on your Disk management. I suggest that you re-label your C: drive and H: drive if H: drive is Windows 8 so we'll know which partition is 10 and which is 8.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p1.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	181562

    The first partition is System Reserved which was carried over when you convert from MBR to GPT and is not used.
    The next to last partition which you created is also not needed. Delete both partitions.

    Boot up Windows 10, open Admin command prompt and type:
    bcdboot H:\Windows =====> I assume H: is your Windows 8.

    The above command will create a dual boot menu for Windows 10 and 8.

    I also notice that you have Linux installed on disk 2. I suggest to leave it alone and boot it separately.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    20 Mar 2018 #6

    topgundcp said: View Post
    Based on your Disk management. I suggest that you re-label your C: drive and H: drive if H: drive is Windows 8 so we'll know which partition is 10 and which is 8.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p1.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	181562

    The first partition is System Reserved which was carried over when you convert from MBR to GPT and is not used.
    The next to last partition which you created is also not needed. Delete both partitions.

    Boot up Windows 10, open Admin command prompt and type:
    bcdboot H:\Windows =====> I assume H: is your Windows 8.

    The above command will create a dual boot menu for Windows 10 and 8.

    I also notice that you have Linux installed on disk 2. I suggest to leave it alone and boot it separately.



    Sorry i forgot.....C: is windows 10 and H: is Windows 8.1
    Also Efi partition beside Recovery Partition is a partition that i made it for win 8.1 with EasyUefi Pro
    Last efi partition was created for Win 10 for EASY UEFI pro

    I will make your steps and reply for news!!!

    In 2 disk i have linux with Grub2.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    20 Mar 2018 #7

    Bodo David said: View Post
    Sorry i forgot.....C: is windows 10 and H: is Windows 8.1
    Also Efi partition beside Recovery Partition is a partition that i made it for win 8.1 with EasyUefi Pro
    Last efi partition was created for Win 10 for EASY UEFI pro

    I will make your steps and reply for news!!!

    In 2 disk i have linux with Grub2.
    Nice.... I solve multiboot with bcdboot H:\Windows
    Everything is OK.

    Thank you all for your advises....
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    21 Mar 2018 #8

    Dear @Bodo David
    Please mark your/this thread solved so that others can benefit from your experience. You'll find a green button at the top of the page that says "Mark as solved" please click it to make that change, and thanks!
    --Ed--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	solved.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	181734
    Last edited by EdTittel; 21 Mar 2018 at 07:51. Reason: Add more info
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    21 Mar 2018 #9

    EdTittel said: View Post
    Dear @Bodo David
    Please mark your/this thread solved so that others can benefit from your experience. You'll find a green button at the top of the page that says "Mark as solved" please click it to make that change, and thanks!
    --Ed--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	solved.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	181734
    I was with android....so i did not find "Mark as Solved".
    Now is ok.
    Thank you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    21 Mar 2018 #10

    Thanks, Bodo David. Good job! I don't run the site from my iPhone, so I had no idea. Thanks also for telling me about this.
    --Ed--
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Hello, i have a laptop which has 2 SSD and both are GPT. I first installed some systems on the 1st one. Now i'm trying to do same on the 2nd, but the old good trick "remove all SSD but the one you install on" cannot work here since i'd have to tear...
Hello!!I have a Dell Inspiron 17R 5737. The computer originally came loaded with Windows 8 and later 8.1. I upgraded to Windows 10 and after that to the Anniversary Edition. Recently upgraded to the Windows 10 Creators Update and my hard disk right...
Hello!! I have a Dell Inspiron 17R 5737. The computer originally came loaded with Windows 8 and later 8.1. I upgraded to Windows 10 and after that to the Anniversary Edition. Recently upgraded to the Windows 10 Creators Update and my hard disk...
Multi Recovery Partitions in Installation and Upgrade
Folks: I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro with an upgraded Windows 10 installed. Always perform Windows Update but did not pay attention too closely. When the drive space was low and started looking a little bit closer, I found out that I have several...
Before installing Win 10 preview onto an HDD I disconnect the other bootable drives lest they be molested by the Windows 10 install process. After installing the preview and updating everything I shutdown the PC and re-attach the other HDDs. My...

Tags for this Thread

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:18.
Find Us