Windows 10: Major Booting Problems

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    15 Mar 2018 #1

    Major Booting Problems


    I tried to install W10 on a second hard drive while my main HD was connected. Major problems now.



    I could not reboot my main HD, and I could not boot my second drive. I wiped my second HD and tried to install W10 again, but no luck. Tried to repair my main HD with a USB drive with W10. No luck. Got an error.



    Somehow I finally got my main HD to reboot. I'm afraid to reboot now.



    Not sure if I should unplug my second HD I tried to install W10 on while computer's running. Trying to go to previous build didn't help. Think I may have a system image on an external drive. If I boot from my USB and plug in an external drive with that backup image, will that re-write my main drive completely and take me back to that system image state? System Reserve and all?

    Any other ideas?



    Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    15 Mar 2018 #2

    Hi, taking a wild guess, but a safe one, if you haven't done anything dramatic to your first disk, then I would suggest with only that in your PC that you consider using Macrium Reflect's handy Fix Boot utility if you still have difficulty with it.

    Try shutting down then disconnecting your other drive, then see if you can reboot.

    E.g.
    Fix Boot Problems

    More up to date:
    Fixing Windows boot problems - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    15 Mar 2018 #3

    dalchina said: View Post
    Hi, taking a wild guess, but a safe one, if you haven't done anything dramatic to your first disk, then I would suggest with only that in your PC that you consider using Macrium Reflect's handy Fix Boot utility if you still have difficulty with it.

    Try shutting down then disconnecting your other drive, then see if you can reboot.

    E.g.
    Fix Boot Problems

    More up to date:
    Fixing Windows boot problems - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase
    is that Macrium Reflect different than a USB drive with W10 installation files?
    i
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    15 Mar 2018 #4

    Macrium reflect is a Drive Imaging software, it allows you to make a mirror copy of your current computers configuration, with your personal files, programs and settings the way you have it now. Making an image will save this configuration, if you can't boot from your HDD for any reason, you can restore this image and be back in business with the same configuration as the day you created the image.
    The Windows 10 Installer, is just that, Windows with none of your files or programs.
    If you want to install Windows to a different HDD then Unplug the old HDD. When you install Windows, to a single drive, Windows creates a Hidden System Reserved partition in the front of the C: Drive which holds all of the Boot information. If you have a drive installed with Windows on it already, and try to install to a second drive, Windows will use the old drives Hidden System Reserved Partition while it installs to the second drive. So, after install, if you remove the old HDD, Windows will not boot because it doesn't have access to the System Reserved partition.
    If you unplug the old HDD and then install Windows to the new HDD, Windows will create a new Hidden System Reserved Partition. After install, you can plug in the old drive. Boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot tab, make sure the New HDD is the First Boot Device and the old HDD is second or lower in the boot order. Save and Exit. This should boot the new HDD.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    15 Mar 2018 #5

    spunk said: View Post
    Macrium reflect is a Drive Imaging software, it allows you to make a mirror copy of your current computers configuration, with your personal files, programs and settings the way you have it now. Making an image will save this configuration, if you can't boot from your HDD for any reason, you can restore this image and be back in business with the same configuration as the day you created the image.
    The Windows 10 Installer, is just that, Windows with none of your files or programs.
    If you want to install Windows to a different HDD then Unplug the old HDD. When you install Windows, to a single drive, Windows creates a Hidden System Reserved partition in the front of the C: Drive which holds all of the Boot information. If you have a drive installed with Windows on it already, and try to install to a second drive, Windows will use the old drives Hidden System Reserved Partition while it installs to the second drive. So, after install, if you remove the old HDD, Windows will not boot because it doesn't have access to the System Reserved partition.
    If you unplug the old HDD and then install Windows to the new HDD, Windows will create a new Hidden System Reserved Partition. After install, you can plug in the old drive. Boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot tab, make sure the New HDD is the First Boot Device and the old HDD is second or lower in the boot order. Save and Exit. This should boot the new HDD.
    ok...I already have a mirror image of the drive. It is 142GB in size. Is there a way to make a back-up without all my reams data? I have that backed up separately as well. I really don't want to lose my installed programs, as I may not have all the installation DVDs and would be a pain.

    Also, that system image is on my password-protected WD Passport external HD. Does Windows give an opportunity to give the password to access the drive?

    Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    15 Mar 2018 #6

    No, I'm not talking about disk imaging here, but one particular helpful utility on the boot disk that is called Fix Boot.

    That- and only that- is what the links I posted are about.

    Fix Boot fixes boot problems - it has nothing to do with Macrium's disk imaging function.

    Indeed- if you are lucky- you may not even need it. But it's there if you do have boot problems with your main system disk.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    15 Mar 2018 #7

    If you want to fix the boot, you can use Macrium's or Minitool Partition Wizard and click on the left panel Partition Recovery or Rebuild MBR.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    15 Mar 2018 #8

    spunk said: View Post
    If you want to fix the boot, you can use Macrium's or Minitool Partition Wizard and click on the left panel Partition Recovery or Rebuild MBR.
    This is the current state, if that is of any value.
    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	274.0 KB 
ID:	181001
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 2,349
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       15 Mar 2018 #9

    From your screen shot above. Windows was installed using GPT disk layout. To rebuild the BCD, open Admin Command Prompt and type:

    mountvol U: /S
    bcdboot c:\Windows /s U: /f UEFI

    reboot

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	181042
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    16 Mar 2018 #10

    Back in business! Lesson learned. It didn't boot, but then the Macrium boot tool seemed to be the fix. (I forgot to type in those 2 commands as suggested. But I think the tool did that automatically)

    So what is the best way to back up my system that preserves my installed programs? Is a back-up image of my entire HD the only way?

    Thanks much.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Related Threads
    Solved Major Windows 10 Problems in General Support
    This all started happening today and I have no idea why. I am able to run my programs and open files on my desktop like images and such but "internally" I am having major problems. Here's a list of everything that has happened. •For files on...
    Major Update Problems in Windows Updates and Activation
    The last major update (early December) downloaded and installed without errors or problems. Upon starting the PC the following day, I found extra icons on my desktop, start menu with extra icons, and many apps that I had previous remove...
    Major problems with windows 10 in General Support
    Hi, I upgraded to windows 10 when it came out. End of August an automatic update sent my computer into BSOD. Fixed this with help but since then have to continually use task manager, powershell, run as admin and then copy/paste the following:- ...
    I upgraded to windows 10 and for a couiple of days everything was fine then i had an automatic update and thats when my problems started. I know one of the reasons Windows 10 is free is to get everyone on Windows Edge the stupid thing is since the...
    Major Windows Update Problems in Windows Updates and Activation
    For the last 3 builds I have had major windows update issues. I have the same problem on 2 Win10 machines. Its not my network because all my Windows 8.1 machines update just fine. I have done multiple clean installs. When I do a clean install...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    © Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29.
    Find Us