Windows 10: Will Settings eventually replace Control Panel?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    28 Feb 2018 #11

    Steve C said: View Post
    The Settings menu is fine in principle but frequently when MS moves a setting from the Control Panel to Settings they reduce the functionality and usability at the same time. It seems they are designing the Settings menu for idiots. Fortunately to date it has been possible to use the old Control Panel settings method if you know where to look.
    MS doesn't like users to dabble too much in system and basic settings. I'm almost surprised they didn't dumb it down even more.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,688
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.3 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home (64 bit)
       28 Feb 2018 #12

    MrMii Win 10 said: View Post
    As much as I would hate to see it go, I'm certain that Control Panel will eventually give it's final farewells, but definitely not in the near future it looks like.
    MS has been promising to replace the Control panel with Settings since W8.

    Even after 6 years have passed, MS still hasn't been able to do it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    02 Mar 2018 #13

    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    MS has been promising to replace the Control panel with Settings since W8.

    Even after 6 years have passed, MS still hasn't been able to do it.

    ...And I for one hope they never do..
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    02 Mar 2018 #14

    Some parts and dialogs hail from much older Windows, XP even.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 34
    Windows 10 Pro (1709) 64 Bit
    Thread Starter
       15 Mar 2018 #15

    What they could do, but likely won't, is keep everything in Control Panel as well as Settings. I personally won't ever give up CP. Although I see the slow migration from one to the other. You shouldn't do it all at once, people will be extremely lost. But at this point after six years, you'd think they would have more in Settings.

    Perhaps some tech guru out there will come out with a utility to emulate the old functionality of CP, just like how Ivo created Classic Shell as a start menu replacement tool. \_(ツ)_/
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 780
    Windows 10 1703 Pro 64
       15 Mar 2018 #16

    If you click on Start and scroll the left side to Windows System and Control Panel is listed. Right click Control Panel and you can pin it to the Start page. There is a More choice that lets you pin it to the Taskbar.

    Jim
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    15 Mar 2018 #17

    I don't have access to my Insider version right now, but I seem to remember that in one of the recent builds (maybe this last one, which I don't have installed), MS has already phased out Control Panel because I though there were posts from people indicating that it did not launch anymore. If that's the case, then it will already be gone in version 1803.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    15 Mar 2018 #18

    Mark Phelps said: View Post
    I don't have access to my Insider version right now, but I seem to remember that in one of the recent builds (maybe this last one, which I don't have installed), MS has already phased out Control Panel because I though there were posts from people indicating that it did not launch anymore. If that's the case, then it will already be gone in version 1803.
    Yes, I remember that but it was just a bug (I hope).
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 34
    Windows 10 Pro (1709) 64 Bit
    Thread Starter
       4 Weeks Ago #19

    Mark Phelps said: View Post
    I don't have access to my Insider version right now, but I seem to remember that in one of the recent builds (maybe this last one, which I don't have installed), MS has already phased out Control Panel because I though there were posts from people indicating that it did not launch anymore. If that's the case, then it will already be gone in version 1803.
    I dearly hope that's a bug. That better be just a bug.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    4 Weeks Ago #20

    Steve C said: View Post
    The Settings menu is fine in principle but frequently when MS moves a setting from the Control Panel to Settings they reduce the functionality and usability at the same time. It seems they are designing the Settings menu for idiots. Fortunately to date it has been possible to use the old Control Panel settings method if you know where to look.
    You are saying things that are not generally correct. The settings setup with the more common features, and there is usually an advanced option that links to the old CP dialogues. The Control Panel is only the interface to the various dialogues.

    There is no dumbing down, just things rearranged differently.

    Many of the advanced menus do not easily lend to modern menu settings so I expect those to remain as is but accessed via avanced options rather than the old control panel interface.

    Nothing has changed really - it is largely a cosmetic change and long overdue as CP is a mess.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

    Related Threads
    Why are we still seeing an icon for Flash Player (32 bit) in Control Panel like this? I thought Flash was now embedded in browsers.
    I have Control.exe (Control Panel) pinned to the taskbar, mainly because I often want to get to Network & Sharing, Administrative Tools, Programs & Features,&c. without going through slow-loading pages of Modern Settings first. Cut out the middleman...
    Hey, ever since i upgraded to windows 10, whenever I try to get onto control panel or settings it says "this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer please contact your system admin" when I am the admin and I have...
    Read more: Microsoft to replace the traditional Control Panel with the Windows 10 Settings app | Windows Central
    I've tried using the Settings App, but I always seem to end up using Control Panel? Is it just me, or is the Settings App just a partial duplication of CP?
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46.
    Find Us