Windows 10: Anyway to force control panel on video windows playing commercial adds

  1.    17 Feb 2018 #1

    Anyway to force control panel on video windows playing commercial adds


    Watching news videos on windows 10 PC, I notice that when commercial add videos come on, as they do periodically throughout those videos, there are no controls for the video window. That is, you cannot control the sound or the move the cursor as you can in the rest of the session,

    So somehow, the commercial adds are invulnerable to any changes by user.

    Is there away to force controls on the video window, or other ways to skip thru or skip entirely those nasty invasive adds?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. lehnerus2000's Avatar
    Posts : 1,781
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.3 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home 1703 (64 bit), W10 Pro 1703 (64 bit) VM
       17 Feb 2018 #2

    What program are you using to watch video (e.g. Internet browser, program or some App)?

    Note:
    Forum Rules say that members aren't allowed to discuss Ad Blocking.
    12. No ad blocking discussions. This site depends on ads to pay for the costs of running and maintaining it.
    Last edited by lehnerus2000; 17 Feb 2018 at 18:32. Reason: Link Added
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    17 Feb 2018 #3

    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    What program are you using to watch video (e.g. Internet browser, program or some App)?Note:Forum Rules say that members aren't allowed to discuss Ad Blocking.
    Browsers (chrome usually)
    So its the player that browers use... In all but the commercials the expected controls, are present,
    pause, volume, playline cursor, stop, full-screen etc.

    But when one of the ads come on those controls disappear. (In most ads; Sometimes the player will still contain a volume control but no others. But most often there are no controls at all).

    I'm not really interested in blocking ... and I understand the role of ads, not only in this forum but in these videos... after all they are free. But someone is doing the work of making them available. And I would guess they get paid to do so.

    But, like when watching TV, it should be left up to the user what they do during the adds. It seems a bit too much for advertisers to be able to remove all user controls during the commercials.

    You can't even turn down the volume short of using the PC controls which requires finding the volume control, turning it down and try not to miss too much of the show when you quickly turn it back up once the commercial is over.

    And apparently the laws that say the commercials are not supposed to jack up the volume when watching tv do not apply to TV recorded for display on PCs... because some of the ads being inserted are actually really really loud. If you happen to be listening with earbuds, you will regret it and will soon learn to snatch then out the moment any ads come up.... since there will be no way to control volume from the player.

    By the way, I'm not talking about adds that aired when the show was aired for tv. Those have been removed or whatever. The adds I'm speaking of are inserted for the video prepared for showing on PC.

    To see some examples you could go to `msnbc' and watch some of the free videos they show for PC use.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    17 Feb 2018 #4

    hput3 said: View Post
    Browsers (chrome usually)
    So its the player that browers use... In all but the commercials the expected controls, are present,
    pause, volume, playline cursor, stop, full-screen etc.

    But when one of the ads come on those controls disappear. (In most ads; Sometimes the player will still contain a volume control but no others. But most often there are no controls at all).

    I'm not really interested in blocking ... and I understand the role of ads, not only in this forum but in these videos... after all they are free. But someone is doing the work of making them available. And I would guess they get paid to do so.

    But, like when watching TV, it should be left up to the user what they do during the adds. It seems a bit too much for advertisers to be able to remove all user controls during the commercials.

    You can't even turn down the volume short of using the PC controls which requires finding the volume control, turning it down and try not to miss too much of the show when you quickly turn it back up once the commercial is over.

    And apparently the laws that say the commercials are not supposed to jack up the volume when watching tv do not apply to TV recorded for display on PCs... because some of the ads being inserted are actually really really loud. If you happen to be listening with earbuds, you will regret it and will soon learn to snatch then out the moment any ads come up.... since there will be no way to control volume from the player.

    By the way, I'm not talking about adds that aired when the show was aired for tv. Those have been removed or whatever. The adds I'm speaking of are inserted for the video prepared for showing on PC.

    To see some examples you could go to `msnbc' and watch some of the free videos they show for PC use.
    Mute the tab?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000096.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	177542
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    18 Feb 2018 #5

    Edwin said: View Post
    Mute the tab?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000096.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	177542
    Haaa... well doggone, slap an `intelligence challenged' sticker on my forehead. I've never noticed that kindly little volume icon, and If I had I probably still would not have thought to try clicking on it.

    Thank you sir, that is big jump foreward
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. lehnerus2000's Avatar
    Posts : 1,781
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.3 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home 1703 (64 bit), W10 Pro 1703 (64 bit) VM
       18 Feb 2018 #6

    The problem is that video players on websites can be built (by default) without controls.

    In HTML5, "controls" are an "Optional Attribute" for the "video" tag.
    https://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_video.asp

    When you are playing a video, right click on it and check out the options that are available.
    Chrome, Firefox (and its forks) and Opera have useful options in the context menu.
    I don't know if Edge has the same options.

    You can also use the Web Developer Tools (specifically the Inspector) to get the video to open in a new tab and then it will have controls.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    18 Feb 2018 #7

    Apologies - using Vivaldi (Chrome based) but not Chrome. I get the same issue but video controls can be restored by allowing pop ups in per site settings:


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VideoControls.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	177652

    So I click on the button to the left of the address bar to get per site settings and change pop up option to allow (only for that site)

    In Chrome:

    Note   Note
    Change settings for a specific site

    You can allow or block permissions for a specific site. The site will use its settings instead of the default settings.

    1. On your computer, open Chrome .
    2. Go to a website.
    3. To the left of the web address, click the icon you see: Lock , Info , or Dangerous .
    4. Click Site settings.
    5. Change a permission setting. Your changes will automatically save.




    Change site permissions - Computer - Google Chrome Help
    Last edited by Callender; 18 Feb 2018 at 20:08. Reason: remove duplicate note
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    18 Feb 2018 #8

    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    The problem is that video players on websites can be built (by default) without controls.

    In HTML5, "controls" are an "Optional Attribute" for the "video" tag.
    https://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_video.asp

    When you are playing a video, right click on it and check out the options that are available.
    Chrome, Firefox (and its forks) and Opera have useful options in the context menu.
    I don't know if Edge has the same options.

    You can also use the Web Developer Tools (specifically the Inspector) to get the video to open in a new tab and then it will have controls.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000104.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	177658
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Control panel disappeared windows 10 How do I get it back? Don Cole
Good evening, I've noticed a difference in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Personalization between editions of Windows 10. My wife's laptop is running Windows 10 Home, and her personalization screen looks like this: 73873 I'm...
Solved Windows 10 control panel in General Support
On windows 10 how do you locate the control panel? I am having a problem finding it. paulofeastman
Windows update is not in the control panel, in Windows Updates and Activation
Windows update is not in the control panel, where is it?
Solved Windows 10 Control Panel in Installation and Upgrade
I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit. In my CP I have items that still relate to 7. Is there anyway to remove them? 29850
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24.
Find Us