Strange characters


  1. Posts : 108
    Windows 10
       #1

    Strange characters


    I see this quite often where strange characters replace, say an apostrophe. Here's an example taken from my Google calendar event: I had typed "Schnoodle's" in the event title. When I go to view it later here's what I see; well it wouldn't post the paste so will have to type it in: Here is what I tried to paste: "Schnoodle's"noodle's

    TIA, Allan Schnoodle's
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 8,696
    Mac OS Catalina
       #2

    Nothing strange for what you are seeing. It is just giving you the html output.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1,471
    Win10 Home x64 - 1809
       #3

    Hey AllanP,
    I can't answer as to why your Google Calendar is doing that, but special characters like an apostrophe/single quote have a HTML equivalent.

    HTML Codes - Table of ascii characters and symbols
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 108
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Eagle51 said:
    Hey AllanP,
    I can't answer as to why your Google Calendar is doing that, but special characters like an apostrophe/single quote have a HTML equivalent.

    HTML Codes - Table of ascii characters and symbols
    OK thanks I appreciate your responses; so I'm not to use an apostrophe any more as it will show up as gobbledygook, weird.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,471
    Win10 Home x64 - 1809
       #5

    OK thanks I appreciate your responses; so I'm not to use an apostrophe any more as it will show up as gobbledygook, weird.
    No, I wouldn't say that. It could have been a glitch in Google Calendar. I just added an event (Eagle51's) and a reminder (Eagle51's) and the title appears as it should .... no html code.

    Note: Even tried Schnoodle's with no problem :)
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 108
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Eagle51 said:
    No, I wouldn't say that. It could have been a glitch in Google Calendar. I just added an event (Eagle51's) and a reminder (Eagle51's) and the title appears as it should .... no html code.

    Note: Even tried Schnoodle's with no problem :)
    OK thanks again. That was just an example as I'd seen it happen in emails also. Anyways at least I know the cause.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 4,224
    Windows 10
       #7

    It's called a character entity and always starts with an ampersand (&) and ends with a semi-colon [;]. All character entities can use numeric codes (e.g. ∫, to be written as ∫ for the Leibniz style "line integral" symbol), which shows that they also include hashmarks after the ampersand. The European Union's currency, the Euro, has a symbol that may be referenced as either € or as €. You can find tables of HTML character codes all over the place. I like the chained series of tables from W3Schools.com that start here: HTML Entities myself.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

    PS: Ha! Ha! the forum software is funny about reproducing character entities. Where you see some that reads € you would want to put the ampersand first, then skip "amp;", then continue on with #8364; to reproduce the Euro symbol. I have to laugh that I don't know the escape character here to do it straight-up @Brink: can you enlighten me, please?
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 61,909
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
       #8

    EdTittel said:
    PS: Ha! Ha! the forum software is funny about reproducing character entities. Where you see some that reads € you would want to put the ampersand first, then skip "amp;", then continue on with #8364; to reproduce the Euro symbol. I have to laugh that I don't know the escape character here to do it straight-up @Brink: can you enlighten me, please?
    Hey Ed, :)

    I don't know that one, but you can wrap a character with the [noparse]character[/noparse] bb code tags to prevent them from changing like that.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 108
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Yikes


    Thanks again all. This is all over my 37% geek head.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums