Trainwreck of errors related to seemingly-normal Win10 updates - help!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 39,972
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #11

    In addition to the above please run this log collector and post a zip into the thread for troubleshooting:
    https://www.tenforums.com/attachment...-v2-beta06.zip

    If the in place upgrade repair fails to work with the matching iso then report that into the thread.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 650
    10 preview 64bit
       #12

    Actually im not surprised it wont update, that Build version is no longer supported.
    (Its the original RTM)
    So when it tries to update it cannot find the original source OS brand build on MS's servers
    I suspect DISM commands will also fail because of this - as thier no longer available

    However that doesnt help the OP.
    There were obviously problems with the original install set-up as it should have automatically upgraded to
    the next version 1511 10586

    I do not believe there is actually an updateable type fix for this scenario, unfortunately its a clean install via MCT
    you will need to export any private data you have to an external device, and transfer it back afterwards


    Roy
    Last edited by hawkman; 14 Jan 2018 at 19:24.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 24,653
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #13

    hawkman said:
    Actually im not surprised it wont update, that Build version is no longer supported. (Its the original RTM) So when it tries to update it cannot find the original source OS brand build on MS's servers...
    No, they're still there. If windows update was working properly it should find KB4022727, the last cumulative update for 1507 (10240). I've just tested that on a 10240 system...

    Trainwreck of errors related to seemingly-normal Win10 updates - help!-1507-updating.png

    I suspect DISM commands will also fail because of this - as thier no longer available...
    That too still works properly...

    Trainwreck of errors related to seemingly-normal Win10 updates - help!-1507-dism.png

    There were obviously problems with the original install set-up...
    Now that's the real problem here. With the information zbook asked for we may be able to get it working properly.

    I do not believe there is actually an updateable type fix for this scenario..
    Quite the opposite. You wouldn't believe the hoops I had to jump through just to stop the Upgrade Assistant upgrading a functional 10240 system to 1709. :) Having completed my tests, I did the in-place upgrade of 10240 to Fall Creators Update (1709) without a problem.

    Trainwreck of errors related to seemingly-normal Win10 updates - help!-upgrading-1507-1709.png
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 934
    xp
       #14

    Being Cajun I sometimes think as slow as I talk so could the OP explain exactly what he meant by this: "I then tried this approach - Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Installation Upgrade Tutorials - using an ISO file downloaded to a USB drive. However, when I mounted and ran the ISO"

    Are you saying you mounted the ISO from the USB drive, or did you move it to the desktop and mount it before trying the upgrade ?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 39,972
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #15

    When performing an in place upgrade repair the Windows 10 iso can have 3 locations:
    1) USB drive
    2) Optical drive
    3) Desktop

    To perform an in place upgrade repair you can open file explorer > click on this PC > locate the windows 10 iso > launch setup or setup.exe > follow the text and images in this link:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Installation Upgrade Tutorials
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 226
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #16

    Bat 1 said:
    Are you saying you mounted the ISO from the USB drive, or did you move it to the desktop and mount it before trying the upgrade ?
    Thanks for the opportunity to clarify. I was following the instructions from the link I referenced, that zbook references above as well. The ISO image was created on an external USB drive, then that image, still on the external drive, was "mounted," where it appeared, in the target computer being updated, as Drive F.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 934
    xp
       #17

    You could give it another shot or two with the 1709 ISO on the desktop. First just by mounting, then if that doesn't work, 7zipping the ISO open in a new folder. If you can post the log zbook mentioned, someone other than me might be able to give better advice. You possibly may need to update some drivers or have you already checked that ?
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 226
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #18

    Bat 1 said:
    You could give it another shot or two with the 1709 ISO on the desktop. First just by mounting, then if that doesn't work, 7zipping the ISO open in a new folder. If you can post the log zbook mentioned, someone other than me might be able to give better advice. You possibly may need to update some drivers or have you already checked that ?
    It's now all in the hands of the repair shop. I had tried enough, that didn't work, but at least I had broken nothing to that point. I figured I was getting to the point where I'd make a mess I couldn't clean up, so offloaded it. Looking forward, once it's fixed, to hearing what they did.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 934
    xp
       #19

    You're wiser that most people I know :)
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,503
    X
       #20

    Smart move:
    asus2016 said:
    It's now all in the hands of the repair shop. I had tried enough, that didn't work, but at least I had broken nothing to that point. I figured I was getting to the point where I'd make a mess I couldn't clean up, so offloaded it. Looking forward, once it's fixed, to hearing what they did.
    After two days of hair-pulling it's time to say "enough is enough".

    Best of luck.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums