Windows 10: Windows 10 won't let me open the start button, or anything else.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    30 Jul 2015 #11

    Louise M said: View Post
    Computer is still "running" something, even though the screen is black. To restart it I'll have to hold the power button down to turn it off, but that's not a proper shut down.
    Would you use the power button to shut it down.

    Then start it up again and let us know what you see and how its acting.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    30 Jul 2015 #12

    ArtShapiro said: View Post
    Everyone: I wonder if Louise is seeing something that happened on my upgrade a couple days ago (anyone else see it?):

    Upon the successful upgrade to 10, the machine restarted, came up, and after about 30 seconds went into a hard loop - keyboard and mouse unresponsive, machine completely hung. Three forced power-down restarts resulted in consistent behavior.

    But that was enough time to fire up task manager, and a "OneDrive Setup" process was swamping the machine. I terminated it.

    The problem went away and I've restarted a few times without incident. Not needing OneDrive, I went into gpedit and disabled it.

    Louise is reporting preposterously slow responsiveness, and mine was worse than that. Still, it seems worthy of mention / discussion.

    Art
    Its possible she has the same problem. You can explain to her how to turn off one drive ?
    Its worth a try.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    30 Jul 2015 #13

    COMPUTIAC said: View Post
    Its possible she has the same problem. You can explain to her how to turn off one drive ?
    Its worth a try.
    I don't think I could; my recollection is that gpedit is only part of the Pro build, at least in prior Windows versions. But if she's able to get task manager running (CTRL-SHIFT-ESC - I incorrectly said ALT rather than SHIFT originally - then we can at least see if that's the issue. Clearly something is swamping the processor.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    30 Jul 2015 #14

    ArtShapiro said: View Post
    I don't think I could; my recollection is that gpedit is only part of the Pro build, at least in prior Windows versions. But if she's able to get task manager running (CTRL-SHIFT-ESC - I incorrectly said ALT rather than SHIFT originally - then we can at least see if that's the issue. Clearly something is swamping the processor.
    I sent you a PM.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 11
    windows 7 home premium
    Thread Starter
       30 Jul 2015 #15

    Thank you for your help.

    Sorry, I had to take care of something, but I was able to shut down 3 times. The start button worked the first time, but the menu took some time to appear. It's still slow, but works. I was also able to open a word file & access the internet, though it's still quite slow.

    Using ctrl-shft-esc, I do get task manager. There are no running apps.

    I do get a notice that windows wants me to turn on the firewall. It was installed when I reserved windows 10, I guess, because I turned it off when it interfered with my Kaspersky firewall/anti. And now... I can't open my Kaspersky. Any suggestions, gents?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    30 Jul 2015 #16

    Turn the firewall back on for now.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    30 Jul 2015 #17

    Disable Kaspersky and see if the computer runs any faster.

    Try to turn it off, then on again to see if some of the problems go away.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 339
    Windows 10 Pro x86 and x64 dual boot
       30 Jul 2015 #18

    Could be Kaspersky doing adisk scan.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    30 Jul 2015 #19

    Louise M said: View Post
    Thank you for your help.

    Sorry, I had to take care of something, but I was able to shut down 3 times. The start button worked the first time, but the menu took some time to appear. It's still slow, but works. I was also able to open a word file & access the internet, though it's still quite slow.

    Using ctrl-shft-esc, I do get task manager. There are no running apps.

    I do get a notice that windows wants me to turn on the firewall. It was installed when I reserved windows 10, I guess, because I turned it off when it interfered with my Kaspersky firewall/anti. And now... I can't open my Kaspersky. Any suggestions, gents?
    When you upgraded to Win 10 was Kaspersky already installed in Win 10? It shouldn't have been, I would completely uninstall Kaspersky and see if that could be causing some of your grief. When you reinstall Kaspersky be sure you get the latest update that supports Win 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 11
    windows 7 home premium
    Thread Starter
       30 Jul 2015 #20

    I can't even open Kaspersky. Whether I click a short cut or go to the file, I get a flicker on the screen & then... nothing. When I right click I get a menu, choose "settings", to disable it, & then... nothing. Windows firewall is back on.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Brand new windows, brand new problems. Hello, today i upgraded to Windows 10 Home, from windwos 7 home premium. And now i can't open start menu... Also there is no windows update? Is there windows update in windows 10 or is my issue again? I tried...
Customization of the Start Menu (no tiles please) equals speed! As you can see I am using the classic theme in Windows 7. We professionals and powers users can customize the Start Menu in such a way that we can access the most important areas,...
Start Button on W8/8.1 in Chillout Room
There are many people saying they like Windows 8/8.1 but I am wondering how many of those people needed to hack the system and install a third party Start Button?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:55.
Find Us