Windows 10: Windows 10 won't boot - fresh install

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1.    10 Jan 2018 #51

    Just went on to Dell's web site, and downloaded a utility that detects driver updates. It showed the following...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dell driver updates.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	171839

    Would you advise installing these? Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 38,043
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       10 Jan 2018 #52

    Good afternoon, Yossu. Happy Wednesday. :)

    I see zbook has you busy. I must say, you follow instructions better than most that seek help.

    Overclocking is where the CPU can be configured to run at a higher hertz (speed).

    FYI, in case you didn't know > We are in the middle of a CPU vulnerability crisis. Protect your Windows devices against Spectre and Meltdown - Windows 10 Forums

    I'm wondering if that Intel and BIOS updates are addressing this issue. I'd say to go ahead and download, but wait for zbook's answer to install. I'd advise to start reading up on how to flash (install) your BIOS. It looks as if we're all going to have to perform that to overcome the vulnerability.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    10 Jan 2018 #53

    Tony K said: View Post
    Good afternoon, Yossu. Happy Wednesday. :)
    Hello, happy Wednesday to you too. I hope it will be a happy Wednesday for me! It was a miserable Tuesday!
    Tony K said: View Post
    I see zbook has you busy. I must say, you follow instructions better than most that seek help.
    Well, I am a software developer, and know the frustrations of trying to get clients to do the simplest of things! I've done enough support to know how you lot must feel :)
    Tony K said: View Post
    Overclocking is where the CPU can be configured to run at a higher hertz (speed).
    Thought so, but wanted to check. Am I safe in assuming that if I've not done anything to change this, then it won't be an issue?
    Tony K said: View Post
    FYI, in case you didn't know > We are in the middle of a CPU vulnerability crisis. Protect your Windows devices against Spectre and Meltdown - Windows 10 Forums
    Yeah, I heard about that one. Sounds pretty rough. As if we didn't have enough with viruses, phishing, etc.
    Tony K said: View Post
    I'm wondering if that Intel and BIOS updates are addressing this issue. I'd say to go ahead and download, but wait for zbook's answer to install. I'd advise to start reading up on how to flash (install) your BIOS. It looks as if we're all going to have to perform that to overcome the vulnerability.
    I had a look at the instructions for installing the BIOS update. Looked pretty simple.

    Right at the moment, the machine is behaving itself. I have no idea why, as when I restarted this morning, it was crippled. I shut down, went off and did something else, came back after lunch and started it up again, it came up quickly and it seems fine. Not complaining you understand, but puzzled. I don't like unsolved problems that disappear, as you're never really sure if they've actually gone.

    It's still doing the HD Tune error check on my D drive, so I can't reboot right now, but I will be interested to see if it reboots OK when I do.

    Thanks again for all the help. Let's see what zbook says.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    10 Jan 2018 #54

    Tony K said: View Post
    I'm wondering if that Intel and BIOS updates are addressing this issue.
    Just had a quick look, and the Dell Chipset and BIOS updates are from 7th and 8th Jan, so it seems likely.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 38,043
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       10 Jan 2018 #55

    Yossu said: View Post
    Just had a quick look, and the Dell Chipset and BIOS updates are from 7th and 8th Jan, so it seems likely.
    Then I'd say to flash the BIOS first, then install any new updates. Be very careful flashing the BIOS. Better sacrifice a ram before doing so.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    10 Jan 2018 #56

    Tony K said: View Post
    Then I'd say to flash the BIOS first, then install any new updates. Be very careful flashing the BIOS. Better sacrifice a ram before doing so.
    Only one? Oh ye of little faith!

    I have a whole flock of them outside, just waiting to be disembowelled

    I reckon I've still got another 45 mins before the HD Tune error scan finishes (all green so far!), so I'll do it after that.

    Thanks again
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 38,043
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       10 Jan 2018 #57

    Yossu said: View Post
    Only one? Oh ye of little faith!

    I have a whole flock of them outside, just waiting to be disembowelled

    I reckon I've still got another 45 mins before the HD Tune error scan finishes (all green so far!), so I'll do it after that.

    Thanks again
    LOL! In Deuteronomy it says one BIOS = one ram.

    On second thought with what you just said and, again, hopefully not, but better wait to make sure there are no hardware failures first. I'm also anxious to see what zbook thinks.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    10 Jan 2018 #58

    Ah ha, HD Tune has just finished, and I'm happy to say that it's green blocks all the way...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HDtune - error.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	171853

    Going to reboot now and check everything works OK.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    10 Jan 2018 #59

    Oh well, it was a happy Wednesday up until now

    I just rebooted, and when it came back into Windows (reasonably quickly), the Start menu, etc weren't working again. I tried restarting, and now it's sitting there with a black screen. Not sure if I should leave it, or restart it again. One time it did this yesterday, it did eventually get back into Windows, but it took a long time.

    Any suggestions? I'm about ready to throw in the towel and go and get a job as a cashier in a supermarket. I'm sure it would be less stressful!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 38,043
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       10 Jan 2018 #60

    Seems to me that is would be a faulty video driver, but I'd say to see what zbook says.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Hey guys , I recently formatted my SSD because of problems in my Windows 10 . I did as ever. Start the installation of Windows , chose the disk, delete all partitions, created partitions again and choose to install Windows 10 . Now I have very...
Solved Windows wont boot after fresh install in Installation and Upgrade
PC specs: Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H AMD A8 APU kingston v300 SSD 120gb WD HDD 1tb I recently built this system for a family member as a low budget media/gaming pc. This was originally setup with windows 10 on the 1tb main drive, so I know...
Receive the below error after my computer boots before setup starts: RECOVERY There was a problem with a device connected to your PC An unexpected I/O error has occured 0xx00000e9 This is on a new build, I purchased Windows 10 Pro OEM from...
Installed Windows 10 on my custom built computer. Never had any issues with windows until I made the upgrade from 7 to 10. Since then been experiencing frequent BSOD shortly after start. From what I can tell the crash does not discriminate whether I...
This is on an old eMachines M6805 laptop that originally came with XP 32-bit. I put a fresh install of Windows 7 32-bit on it which ran fine. I then upgraded that to Windows 10 32-bit. The first time it booted up I was able to log in but got a...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17.
Find Us