Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
  1.    07 Aug 2015 #81
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by mousegolf View Post
    I didn't know I was specifically speaking to you. Too funny....
    Seems you didn't get the note that this is a free discussion forum.. and I joined in on the discussion. If you don't like that start your own forum and make your own rules.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    07 Aug 2015 #82
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Wolves, England
    Posts : 1,634
    W7 Pro x64 | W10 IP x64 | Linux Mint VM

    Let's keep it civil.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    07 Aug 2015 #83
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Australia, Adelaide
    Posts : 1,569
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home (64 bit)

    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I use Total Commander but if there's budgetary constraints might try FreeCommander.
    http://freecommander.com/en/summary/
    I use FreeCommander whenever I have to do anything other than simple file operations.
    The Mass Rename tool is excellent.

    Quote Originally Posted by mousegolf View Post
    All the clutter on the Toolbars/Navigation panes are ridiculous with not only Windows 8/10 but also all office programs. More is not better M$!

    lehnerus2000: You are a true believer in K.I.S.S. and clutter is not at all conducive to that premise. I trust you also get the clique's harassment if you stray away from "their common beliefs". They are are the sheep, we are the people who see the world as it should be, not as it is presented to us by M$.
    My main gripe is the constant attempts to trick/force users to use an Online Account.

    Most of my quibbles are minor, or they have existed in Windows for years and MS still won't fix them:
    • File Explorer issues mentioned previously
    • Mandatory Automatic Updates
    • OS ignores the "Read-only" attribute (introduced after XP)
    • "Hide extensions ..." is still the default setting
    • Doesn't implement/support long path names
    • "Any colour you like as long as it's white" (Brink's fix)
    • Still has 2 Control Panels (CP and Settings) even though the W8 series was released >2 years ago

    A W7 issue caused by W10:
    • MS constantly trying to force users to install GWX, by pushing out KB2953664 every couple of weeks (it can't be permanently hidden)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    07 Aug 2015 #84
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 3,986
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint

    OS ignores the "Read-only" attribute (introduced after XP)
    To me that just means the file can't be changed, quite useful if using a particular document as a template for succeeding edits/versions. As you noted, it doesn't mean it can't be copied. Case in point, files on a CD-R, CD-ROM or equivalent DVD are automatically marked as Read-only, can't be changed but when copied back to an HDD usually have that attribute removed.
    "Hide extensions ..." is still the default setting
    Protecting us from our own foibles.
    Doesn't implement/support long path names
    The implementation of LFN/Long File Names back in Windows 95 has something to do with that along with the HDD having to store 2 names for the same file, 8.3 convention and the LFN.

    EDIT: I forgot to mention that DOS did have a way to make files Read-only. One could invoke the Attrib command which had some switches to use for setting or displaying the read-only, archive, system, and hidden attributes of a file or directory.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    07 Aug 2015 #85
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Australia, Adelaide
    Posts : 1,569
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home (64 bit)

    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    To me that just means the file can't be changed, quite useful if using a particular document as a template for succeeding edits/versions. As you noted, it doesn't mean it can't be copied. Case in point, files on a CD-R, CD-ROM or equivalent DVD are automatically marked as Read-only, can't be changed but when copied back to an HDD usually have that attribute removed.
    In XP, if you marked a file as "Read-only" the OS wouldn't delete it without bringing up a separate message asking for permission.
    I think you also got a warning if you tried to move it.

    The later Windows versions (I don't know about Vista) will just delete "Read-only" files without additional notification.

    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    The implementation of LFN/Long File Names back in Windows 95 has something to do with that along with the HDD having to store 2 names for the same file, 8.3 convention and the LFN.
    I meant Long Path Names (i.e. ~32,000 characters as opposed to ~255 characters).

    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    EDIT: I forgot to mention that DOS did have a way to make files Read-only. One could invoke the Attrib command which had some switches to use for setting or displaying the read-only, archive, system, and hidden attributes of a file or directory.
    You can still mark files as "Read-only" in the file's Properties window, but only programs respect it (e.g. Word).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    08 Aug 2015 #86
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 615
    Windows 10 Enterprise x64 (build 10586)

    Fast Boot and DX12 are enough to convince me to upgrade. Honestly, if it didn't work for you, just downgrade. It's a touch of a button away. It works perfectly for me, but not everyone will have a good experience with it. Also, it's not like Windows 7 didn't have its share of problems. People who upgraded to Windows 7 and encountered issues had the same reaction as you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.png  
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    08 Aug 2015 #87
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 23
    Windows 10

    My experience so far:
    1. Search sucks. Had to rebuild indexing 2 times in just 3 days cause it stopped displaying results.
    2. Start menu cannot be customized (like drag&drop shortcuts to all programs list or start menu). You can add programs as tiles, but then search won't find them.
    3. My laptop is hot as hell and keeps fanning all the time.
    4. Libraries keep rearranging themselves.
    5. The apps appear in different language than the rest of the system. Japanese, actually.
    6. I cannot even set default download location for edge browser (unless I do it with regedit).
    7. There are personal folders in My Computer directory which I cannot remove (unless with regedit).
    8. There is two different type of control setting, one for the tablet side of things and one for the PC stuff. Only sometimes your tablet setting overrule your PC settings and vice versa. The whole control panel thing is now a big huge mess.

    All in all, things you ve taken for granted ever since windows XP now take hours using regedit and powershell. Does windows 10 sucks in my experience? It does. Big time.

    P.s.: the only thing I did not have any problem with was DirectX 12. But that's probably because no program uses Dx12 yet...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    08 Aug 2015 #88
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by kyliansunn View Post
    My experience so far:
    5. The apps appear in different language than the rest of the system. Japanese, actually.
    6. I cannot even set default download location for edge browser (unless I do it with regedit).
    7. There are personal folders in My Computer directory which I cannot remove (unless with regedit).
    8. There is two different type of control setting, one for the tablet side of things and one for the PC stuff. Only sometimes your tablet setting overrule your PC settings and vice versa. The whole control panel thing is now a big huge mess.
    Did you ever install one of the Asian leaks? If so, that may be why you're getting stuff in the wrong language. I think there was also one build that installed certain things in Korean a long time ago. You may need to do a clean install.

    Edge downloads to the "Downloads" special folder. If you want to change the downloads location, you change it by right clicking on Downloads and going to the Location tab, then changing that.

    Not sure what you mean by "personal folders".

    Settings is the new place. Everything is moving from Control Panel to Settings piece by piece. This has nothing to do with "tablet" fs PC, so yeah, Settings will always override anything in Control panel.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    08 Aug 2015 #89
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,629
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Actually, not much was moved from Control panel but some settings are duplicated.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    08 Aug 2015 #90
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 615
    Windows 10 Enterprise x64 (build 10586)

    Quote Originally Posted by kyliansunn View Post
    My experience so far:
    1. Search sucks. Had to rebuild indexing 2 times in just 3 days cause it stopped displaying results.
    2. Start menu cannot be customized (like drag&drop shortcuts to all programs list or start menu). You can add programs as tiles, but then search won't find them.
    3. My laptop is hot as hell and keeps fanning all the time.
    4. Libraries keep rearranging themselves.
    5. The apps appear in different language than the rest of the system. Japanese, actually.
    6. I cannot even set default download location for edge browser (unless I do it with regedit).
    7. There are personal folders in My Computer directory which I cannot remove (unless with regedit).
    8. There is two different type of control setting, one for the tablet side of things and one for the PC stuff. Only sometimes your tablet setting overrule your PC settings and vice versa. The whole control panel thing is now a big huge mess.

    All in all, things you ve taken for granted ever since windows XP now take hours using regedit and powershell. Does windows 10 sucks in my experience? It does. Big time.

    P.s.: the only thing I did not have any problem with was DirectX 12. But that's probably because no program uses Dx12 yet...
    You can customize the Start menu. Drag your shortcuts into C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, or make a folder and drag the shortcut under it to add it under a program category.
    I agree with the one about Edge, but just use Firefox or Chrome. Who actually uses the built-in browser?

    Everything else is pretty much something wrong with your computer specifically. Programs, upgrade issues, manufacturers failing to release new drivers, etc. Some people will have good upgrade experiences and others won't. That's what the "Go back to a previous version of Windows" feature is for.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 fail after resetting
Hello, my name is Povilas, i'm new to these forums and i'm looking for help, hope that someone here could gelp me. I installed windows 10 and wanted to reset my pc so it would be clean. I left it to reset and came back after ~ 1h and I saw that it...
Installation and Upgrade
Windows Update Fail 0x80072efd
After Installing 4-5 Updates , I am Stuck On Build 9926 . Whenever I try to Update The Windows through windows update it gives the error 0x80072efd. I have tried the windows update troubleshoot , it detects a registry problem sometimes and repairs...
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved Driver Updates Fail to Install.
So i went to check for updates, it found 2 updates for my sound and video cards. The new drivers were downloaded... But failed to install, giving me the following error: 0x8024007. If i check for updates again, Windows Update will not find...
Drivers and Hardware
Install on HP 23-N010 fail! :(
So after making an image, I decided to make W10 TP the operating system. Got the 64-bit ISO and proceeded to do the install keeping all programs and data, iow an upgrade. All proceeded with no errors until the final boot. Then all I get is a...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums