Windows 10: Has my CD been finalized?

  1.    30 Dec 2017 #1

    Has my CD been finalized?


    I unsuccessfully tried to burn some files to a CD but the (Ashampoo) burning program stopped midway through and it looks as if nothing got finalized. How can I verify if this is still a usable CD?

    Thanks in advance to all who reply.
    Dan
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 4,932
    Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.5
       30 Dec 2017 #2

    Select and try a different program. There are some lightweight burning programs on majorgeeks.com.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    30 Dec 2017 #3

    A flag is placed after a successful write to optical disk that represents finalizing or just end of sector (not finalized and writable after that sector) so if writing is not finished (unsuccessful) disk becomes unusable anyway.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    31 Dec 2017 #4

    CountMike said: View Post
    A flag is placed after a successful write to optical disk that represents finalizing or just end of sector (not finalized and writable after that sector) so if writing is not finished (unsuccessful) disk becomes unusable anyway.
    CountMike:
    Is this "flag" viewable for me to check the status and if the disc is not usable to burn can it at least be used to store (text, doc, spreadsheet, etc...) files?
    Thanks,
    Dan
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    31 Dec 2017 #5

    I'm afraid not, that CD is screwed permanently.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 901
    Windows 10
       31 Dec 2017 #6

    It won't be useable, at the end the TOC is written then finalisation.
    If it's a CD-R bin it, if it's a CD-RW erase it and then reuse.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    01 Jan 2018 #7

    CountMike said: View Post
    I'm afraid not, that CD is screwed permanently.
    Other than using a reusable CD, is there ever a case where a CD could be reused if a copy goes bad?
    Dan
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    01 Jan 2018 #8

    Helmut said: View Post
    It won't be useable, at the end the TOC is written then finalisation.
    If it's a CD-R bin it, if it's a CD-RW erase it and then reuse.
    And there's no standard way to check if a CD has been finalized?
    I was hoping if a copy failed then the finalization may not have occurred?
    Dan
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    01 Jan 2018 #9

    bromberg said: View Post
    Other than using a reusable CD, is there ever a case where a CD could be reused if a copy goes bad?
    Dan
    I haven't found a way and during the years I recorded or backed up hundreds of CD/DVDs and every 1 of 10 or so didn't work as it should.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    01 Jan 2018 #10

    CountMike said: View Post
    I haven't found a way and during the years I recorded or backed up hundreds of CD/DVDs and every 1 of 10 or so didn't work as it should.
    OK, thanks. I would've been surprised if there was a way to salvage a CD/DVD gone bad.
    Happy new year,
    Dan
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Read more:- Microsoft has finalized Windows 10 | The Verge TBH this is pretty much been the rumor for the past 24 hours or so, but as yet still nothing official.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:54.
Find Us