Windows 10: Sims 1 won't work on Windows 10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    30 Jul 2015 #1

    Sims 1 won't work on Windows 10.


    I have recently installed Windows 10 and now my Sims 1 game won't work. I installed it on my laptop when I had Windows 8.1, and it worked fine. I can go into "This PC" and play the game from the disc drive, when I do this it gives me an initial screen but when I click play nothing happens.

    Is there any way to fix this, ideally without losing my save games?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    30 Jul 2015 #2

    brynojenkins said: View Post
    I have recently installed Windows 10 and now my Sims 1 game won't work. I installed it on my laptop when I had Windows 8.1, and it worked fine. I can go into "This PC" and play the game from the disc drive, when I do this it gives me an initial screen but when I click play nothing happens.

    Is there any way to fix this, ideally without losing my save games?
    Have you tried running it in compatibility mode? right click the shortcut, click properties, and under the compatibility tab check the "run this program in compatibility more for" and choose the latest version it worked on (Windows 8 should work as you said it was fine in there.)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    30 Jul 2015 #3

    Yah, try compatibility mode.
    On my Test Dummy machine with Windows 10 pre-RTM (inside joke) on it I ran into same issue
    with TrackIR5 software refusing to run .
    I fixed it easily by using compatibility mode for that program and had it run as Windows 8.x.
    Worked fine after that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    31 Jul 2015 #4

    delsus said: View Post
    Have you tried running it in compatibility mode? right click the shortcut, click properties, and under the compatibility tab check the "run this program in compatibility more for" and choose the latest version it worked on (Windows 8 should work as you said it was fine in there.)
    Yeah I just tried that, still doesn't work. Would it be an issue that I had Windows 8.1 at the time of installation?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    31 Jul 2015 #5

    brynojenkins said: View Post
    Yeah I just tried that, still doesn't work. Would it be an issue that I had Windows 8.1 at the time of installation?
    I don't think so, it does generally seem to be that it's incompatible with Windows 10, also the Windows compatibility center has got one vote saying it's incompatible, but it is a very old game so it is understandable (I think I played it on Windows 98 lol) short of virtualization I don't think there is much that you can do if compatibility mode doesn't work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    31 Jul 2015 #6

    If all else fails, find an old license to Windows XP and virtualize it. Then you can install older games like this and play them without any issues.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    31 Jul 2015 #7

    DeaconFrost said: View Post
    If all else fails, find an old license to Windows XP and virtualize it. Then you can install older games like this and play them without any issues.
    How do I do that? I'm not a big tech person.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    31 Jul 2015 #8

    There are two common programs for running a virtual machine, VMWare Player and VirtualBox. Both are free, so if you have an older OS, such as Windows XP, this solution will cost you nothing.

    Once you install either of those programs, you'll be able to create a "computer" that runs from a file on your current machine. It runs like any other program, in a window, so you can minimize it and work on something else. Basically, you'd be running Windows XP in a window. These virtual machines can access CD/DVD drives, so you can install Sims 1 in the virtual machine just as if it is an actual computer. Modern computers are fast enough to handle this, so Sims 1 should be more than playable within this virtual machine.

    You also aren't messing with partitions and boot loaders, which could potential render your main computer unbootable. I would probably recommend VMWare Player, as it might be a little easier to use.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    16 Aug 2015 #9

    DeaconFrost said: View Post
    There are two common programs for running a virtual machine, VMWare Player and VirtualBox. Both are free, so if you have an older OS, such as Windows XP, this solution will cost you nothing
    Oh cool I haven't heard of them. I'm on the website for VMWare but there are a million downloads available. Could you send me a link of the download I need?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    17 Aug 2015 #10

    Here it is on a trusted software download site.

    Download VMware Player - MajorGeeks
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
How Does Windows 10 Upgrade Work? in Installation and Upgrade
I upgraded from an OEM installation of Windows 7 SP1, my Product ID was changed from OEM to a number, that is instead of #####-OEM-#####-#####, it now goes #####-#####-#####-##### and I now have a completely different product key.... can someone...
We tried using Windows 10 for real work and ... oh, the HORRORS Better, worse, prettier or uglier?Read more at The Register: We tried using Windows 10 for real work and ... oh, the HORRORS • The Register Comments welcome...
hi guys, have a Oki C710 and a Lexmark E360dn, both worked fine on Win 8.1, but since the latest updates from MS, yesterday or the day before, my print spooler program always stops working. Claiming that the Lexmark is attached to a USB3 port....
Does 16 bit work yet on a 64 bit windows 10 OS? I did an reinstall of windows 10 but choose 32 bit image instead of windows 10 64 bit. I found out my 16 bit program works, once a windows feature is enabled. I did have a driver issue but fixed by...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:35.
Find Us