Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    20 Apr 2016 #11
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,808
    10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
    The primary factor in gaming performance is the video system, not the CPU. Overclocking the CPU won't do much for frame rates. Some gamers do overclock the CPU but this is more for bragging rights than anything else.
    There is nothing wrong with bragging rights. My wife is really fit. So there. Well I think so anyway

    You are right though (and I don't understand why it is so complex to understand). Your computer will keep on going until you hit CPU, RAM or IO bottleneck. It is also really obvious to see where.

    If your CPU is 100% then you must ask what can do about that (buy some more CPU would be the obvious answer).

    If your CPU is 20% utilized then you must think about increasing your IO to chuck some more work at it.

    There is no point thinking about RAM as you have (most likely) enough anyway.

    So bottom line, upgrade your GPU.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    20 Apr 2016 #12
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 229
    Windows 10 Pro

    Back to the OP... He is buying parts for a new desktop build. So he either gets this or that cpu...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    20 Apr 2016 #13
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 86
    10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by blackroseMD1 View Post
    . It comes with one in the box, so you should be fine as long as you put it on while building the PC.
    OK I'm confused. I plan on buying a 6500 since most of you guys believe its enough for gaming and overclocking isn't needed for gaming.

    That being the case, does the 6500 come with its own heat sink or cooler? I don't have to buy a cooler if the 6500 comes with one already.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    20 Apr 2016 #14
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by ruzzi View Post
    OK I'm confused. I plan on buying a 6500 since most of you guys believe its enough for gaming and overclocking isn't needed for gaming.

    That being the case, does the 6500 come with its own heat sink or cooler? I don't have to buy a cooler if the 6500 comes with one already.
    It does so you can use the stock cooler from Intel.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    20 Apr 2016 #15
    Join Date : May 2015
    Smyrna, TN
    Posts : 306
    Win 10 Pro 64

    The i5 6500 is all you will need..................however, the OEM cooler that Intel boxes with this unit is not really all that great of a cooler.....

    Just go with the 6500 and I would recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler.........this cooler is so easy to install and it will sit nicely in the case you say you are going to buy.......
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    20 Apr 2016 #16
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 86
    10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by kipper View Post
    The i5 6500 is all you will need..................however, the OEM cooler that Intel boxes with this unit is not really all that great of a cooler.....

    Just go with the 6500 and I would recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler.........this cooler is so easy to install and it will sit nicely in the case you say you are going to buy.......
    No problem.. I'll go ahead and buy the one you suggested.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    21 Apr 2016 #17

    Quote Originally Posted by ruzzi View Post
    I got 3 questions about the i5 processor for a desktop I'll be building:

    1) I was told an i5 6600K isn't needed for gaming since its for overclocking. And that instead I get an i5 6500. Is this true?

    2) Does overclocking prolong the life of a computer so you don't have to spend extra on upgrading on buying another processor?

    3) Is it true you dont need a cooler for the i5 6500 since its not used for overclocking?

    First off any CPU you use is going to need a cooler no matter what anyone tells you they simple will shut down within 3 minutes without a cooler

    If you are going to be gaming it makes more sense to get the more powerful of the 2 and just because one is overclockable doesn't mean you can't use it till it's time to overclock and get more millage with it the person who is helping you or better yet guiding you is sort of selling you short

    The time it would take you to learn how to overclock and get the best bang out of your chip the happier you'll be the main parts to a good gaming rig is CPU ,GPU ,RAM those are key factors remember get subpar parts expect subpar performance bottom line
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    21 Apr 2016 #18
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by solarstarshines View Post
    First off any CPU you use is going to need a cooler no matter what anyone tells you they simple will shut down within 3 minutes without a cooler

    If you are going to be gaming it makes more sense to get the more powerful of the 2 and just because one is overclockable doesn't mean you can't use it till it's time to overclock and get more millage with it the person who is helping you or better yet guiding you is sort of selling you short

    The time it would take you to learn how to overclock and get the best bang out of your chip the happier you'll be the main parts to a good gaming rig is CPU ,GPU ,RAM those are key factors remember get subpar parts expect subpar performance bottom line
    The 6500 comes with a nice stock cooler and it's more than adequate if the OP is not going to overclock. And the 6600k doesn't so he would have to get a third party cooler.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    21 Apr 2016 #19

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    The 6500 comes with a nice stock cooler and it's more than adequate if the OP is not going to overclock. And the 6600k doesn't so he would have to get a third party cooler.
    I understand this but my point is for future dealings he can overclock to get more millage i understand some of us have budgets but just stating long term facts

    A third party cooler if on air is at the most $40 for a good one now water is another story
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    21 Apr 2016 #20
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by solarstarshines View Post
    I understand this but my point is for future dealings he can overclock to get more millage i understand some of us have budgets but just stating long term facts
    I don't think he's really going to need to overclock for gaming. If he were to get the 6600k there would be no reason to overclock. The processor has more than enough power to meet the needs of gaming. I would concentrate on the graphic card more than overclocking.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Processor Management not running 100%
My system runs at 4.4ghz, and windows is only running at 100% 4.36ghz ... Without processor management on, it runs at 4.4ghz, with it on set to 5% and 100%, at 100% it only runs at 4.36ghz. Is there someway to fix this? as I do want the adapative...
Performance & Maintenance
New W10 User Questions (Basic Questions, Please)
Hello, Brand new user. a. The new PC came with McAfee anti virus. Should I use it ? Is it as good as AVG, e.g., which I used on my old W7 PC ? Use them both ? b. And, how do I turn on the "Defender" anti virus which I understand is...
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Solved x64 based processor
Hello! It says my processor is x64 bit based , but I'm running x32 bit Windows 10. It's a dual core,so if I'm running x32 only a core will work,or what?
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Processor choice??
I'm torn between the following: 1. AMD A10-6800K 2. Intel I3-4150 The Intel is a better chip overall but would it be worth the effort to replace the motherboard to get the Intel?? TIA Jeff
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Thinking to buy new processor
Hello, I don't know much about processors and I wanna know, how to find processor that will fit and work on my PC. Thanks.
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:16.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums