Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1.    17 Apr 2016 #1
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 86
    10

    Which is Better? A Gaming Desktop or Xbox One?


    Im trying to decide which should I buy and which is more beneficial in the long run: a gaming desktop or a console like an Xbox One.

    A gaming desktop will cost me $995. An Xbox One will cost $300 and a cheap notebook will cost $350 for a total of $650. Don't you think its cheaper and more beneficial to buy an Xbox One with a cheap notebook than a gaming desktop?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    17 Apr 2016 #2
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    NW Florida
    Posts : 9,452
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint

    Honestly, it is a personal decision. For me, no it is not worth it, others may, and probably will, disagree. I am coming from the perspective of someone who has never been a console gamer. The only advantage I can see is the cheap notebook would be portable and the desktop would not. In my opinion, a desktop would be more powerful, more versatile and can do more than the Xbox and notebook. I think your gaming experience would be better and the desktop is upgradable, if needed or wanted. I am sure some of the console gamers will offer their opinions, but for me there would be no decision. Personally, I will be interested in the opinions who use both Desktop and Xbox for gaming and other work as well.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    17 Apr 2016 #3

    It depends on the games.

    We had a Play Station 2, with one really great game. We have several really great games on our desktops.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    18 Apr 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 229
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ruzzi View Post
    Im trying to decide which should I buy and which is more beneficial in the long run: a gaming desktop or a console like an Xbox One.

    A gaming desktop will cost me $995. An Xbox One will cost $300 and a cheap notebook will cost $350 for a total of $650. Don't you think its cheaper and more beneficial to buy an Xbox One with a cheap notebook than a gaming desktop?
    Personally no, I don't think it's more beneficial to buy a XBONE vs a Dedicated Gaming Desktop.
    PC advantages:

    1. Digital distribution - we don't have to worry about scratching/breaking a game and having to replace it.
    2. Steam sales are OP, quite often you can get games 50-85 percent off. No paying full price like you have to do with a console's games.
    3. The only way to lose your games is if your account gets compromised, according to steam, this happened roughly 80K times... a very small fraction of the millions of gamers who use steam.
    4. We can upgrade our PC, the 4 main things being Ram, cpu, gpu and storage. All of those options are fairly cheap to replace with the exception of gpu's which can cost $300+
    5. Many games that were once exclusive find their way to PC eventually. Sometimes not right off the bat but eventually the majority wind up coming over.
    6. We also enjoy a wider variety of gaming controllers, including ps3, xbone, xb360 and many other controller types.


    The only real benefits I see that consoles have are exclusives.
    Some downsides are that they can fail. You'll have to send those in to the factory or buy a new/used one if you want a replacement.
    Game discs can get lost easily, scratched, broken etc. If that happens, you're SOL unless you have it installed on the console.
    High prices, compared to steam sales, the prices are very high.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    18 Apr 2016 #5
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Posts : 1,704
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview x64

    Having been both a console gamer and a PC gamer, the only advantage I see to consoles is the exclusives.

    Especially Red Dead Redemption. *shakes fist at Rockstar*

    Even then, though, the exclusives are few and far between, and likely to be less so going forward with Microsoft basically turning the XB1 into a Windows 10 PC.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    20 Apr 2016 #6
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,413
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by vgchat View Post
    Personally no, I don't think it's more beneficial to buy a XBONE vs a Dedicated Gaming Desktop.
    PC advantages:

    1. Digital distribution - we don't have to worry about scratching/breaking a game and having to replace it.
    2. Steam sales are OP, quite often you can get games 50-85 percent off. No paying full price like you have to do with a console's games.
    3. The only way to lose your games is if your account gets compromised, according to steam, this happened roughly 80K times... a very small fraction of the millions of gamers who use steam.
    4. We can upgrade our PC, the 4 main things being Ram, cpu, gpu and storage. All of those options are fairly cheap to replace with the exception of gpu's which can cost $300+
    5. Many games that were once exclusive find their way to PC eventually. Sometimes not right off the bat but eventually the majority wind up coming over.
    6. We also enjoy a wider variety of gaming controllers, including ps3, xbone, xb360 and many other controller types.


    The only real benefits I see that consoles have are exclusives.
    Some downsides are that they can fail. You'll have to send those in to the factory or buy a new/used one if you want a replacement.
    Game discs can get lost easily, scratched, broken etc. If that happens, you're SOL unless you have it installed on the console.
    High prices, compared to steam sales, the prices are very high.
    1: You can buy games via digital distribution on an XBOX from the XBOX Store right from the console.
    2: I get up to 4 free games a month via my XBOX Gold Live subscription. And some Games are discounted even without that. Lots of inexpensive games too.
    3: I use the same Microsoft ID on my XBOX as I do on my Windows PC, which is linked to my XBOX Live account. My game purchases are all stored there.
    4: I can't upgrade the internals but it does get software upgrades with added features. I can add extras like Kinect, and external storage etc. The games are specifically written for the hardware, so it shouldn't be an issue.
    5: My main reason for buying it was to play the full Halo series of games, something I can't do on my PC.
    6: Some custom controllers are coming for the XBOX. Keyboard and mouse support is on the way too, so gaming keyboards should be an option. I'm hoping anyway.

    It's not for everybody though, that's for sure. I do both, I game on my PC and my XBOX. I can stream my games from my XBOX to my PC and play them from the XBOX on my PC. I can browse the Internet from my XBOX via its Edge browser. It's more than just a game console. I can watch movies, play music, even watch live TV on it from my Cable box. It has an App store like Windows 10 does. They are just XBOX Apps and or universal Apps. It's limited right now compared to the App Store for Windows 10 PC's.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    20 Apr 2016 #7
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 86
    10
    Thread Starter

    Hi alphanumeric. But don't you think Xbox games are more expensive than PC games? You say you get 4 free games a month via subscription. But I think the free games aren't current games like The Division. I don't think MSFT is that generous to give that game for free.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    20 Apr 2016 #8
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,413
    Windows 10 IoT

    If I compare the same game, PC price versus XBOX price they are comparable. I haven't noticed any big difference. I've only had my XBOX for a month and only bought a couple of games so far. My HALO Master Chief collection was 70 bucks. That's for 4 games. The free games are older games. Free is free though. How many free current games do you get on steam?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    20 Apr 2016 #9
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 73
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    If I compare the same game, PC price versus XBOX price they are comparable. I haven't noticed any big difference. I've only had my XBOX for a month and only bought a couple of games so far. My HALO Master Chief collection was 70 bucks. That's for 4 games. The free games are older games. Free is free though. How many free current games do you get on steam?
    There is at least three pages worth of free games on the steam site. That doesn't include the free games from Ubisoft AND EA.

    What is NOT free is your *xbox gold* subscription. I don't pay squat to use the games I own on Computer, you have to pay a fee every month.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    20 Apr 2016 #10
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 86
    10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by DeathStalker View Post
    There is at least three pages worth of free games on the steam site. That doesn't include the free games from Ubisoft AND EA.

    What is NOT free is your *xbox gold* subscription. I don't pay squat to use the games I own on Computer, you have to pay a fee every month.
    Makes sense. I guess I'll get a gaming desktop then.

    I got another question. I plan to buy an i5 processor with Nvidia 970 and 8GB ram. Should I get the clockable or non- clockable version of the i5? I ask because I got 2 concerns on it:

    1) Is there any difference between the non-clockable and clockable i5 in terms of gaming current and future games? Would I get the same gaming experience with a non-clockable i5 for future games?

    2) I'm on a budget. If I get the non-clockable i5, would I need to spend more on upgrading to another processor in the future? Is the i5 future proof for the next 4 years for gaming?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Xbox Xbox Talks UWP, Gaming on Windows 10, and Xbox Dev Mode at Build 2016
Xbox Talks UWP, Gaming on Windows 10, and Xbox Dev Mode at Build 2016 Source: http://news.xbox.com/2016/03/30/xbox-at-build-2016/
Windows 10 News
Xbox Windows 10 and Xbox Live Bring Competitive Gaming to All Skill Levels
Source: Windows 10 and Xbox Live Bring Competitive Gaming to All Skill Levels | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Any way to Uninstall Xbox app & Live Gaming?
Is there any way to Uninstall Xbox app & Live Gaming from Win10? When I try to install/run game 'Halo2' on Win10 its refuses saying there is already a Live Gaming account running (Halo2 uses Live Gaming itself). I suspect the Xbox app (which also...
Gaming
Xbox Windows 10 and Xbox at the PC Gaming Show
Source: Windows 10 and Xbox at the PC Gaming Show
Windows 10 News
Xbox Windows 10 on Xbox One and why it goes beyond gaming
Read more: Windows 10 on Xbox One and why it goes beyond gaming | Windows Central
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:10.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums