Windows 10: m$ screwed up winmm in windows 10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    19 Aug 2015 #1

    m$ screwed up winmm in windows 10


    Dunno why they changed it, now all older games that used to work fine with an alternate built winmm to read ogg files for cd music (Since later pc's don't have a physical cd connection for audio)..with windows 10.. they screwed it... it will no longer work. I had Shadows of the empire working pretty much perfectly in windows 7 64 bit (With said winmm and DXGL) now it crashes and burns unless you remove the alt winmm.dll

    so does anyone know of a new build for windows 10?? one that of course reads ogg files in the 'MUSIC' folder?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    22 Aug 2015 #2

    medievil said: View Post
    Dunno why they changed it, now all older games that used to work fine with an alternate built winmm to read ogg files for cd music (Since later pc's don't have a physical cd connection for audio)..with windows 10.. they screwed it... it will no longer work. I had Shadows of the empire working pretty much perfectly in windows 7 64 bit (With said winmm and DXGL) now it crashes and burns unless you remove the alt winmm.dll

    so does anyone know of a new build for windows 10?? one that of course reads ogg files in the 'MUSIC' folder?
    I'm not sure what they did, either...
    From the look of it, the new library doesn't import winmm.dll at all(the real one); maybe it causes some circular resolution deadlock trying to get all the right functions (the waveOut stuff is no longer imported)... also, SendMessageA is imported now as well....

    I have a new wrapper though that seems to work:
    http://www.filedropper.com/winmmw10

    Cheers!

    PS - that's funny... I actually did a blog once on writing wrappers and had a modified Shadows of the Empire setup as well that ran perfectly (although you'll have to modify this dll slightly because shadows loves to send MCI_CLOSE(iirc) a lot and it needs to just quit whining and deal.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    22 Aug 2015 #3

    dunno why, but doesn't work.. I mean the game loads and everything but doesn't play the background music. May have been your wrapper I was using.. I got it from a blog... Diary of a Punk Rock Hacker: June 2014
    Also what do I need to modify in the dll (or exe) to make the mci change? maybe the close is making it never get to the actual playing of the sound...

    It's funny, GOG released new version of JK and Mysteries of the sith that use winmm and in those games their replacement winmm works fine..but plugging it int he shadows sdata directory (and making sure shadows is looking fro it, original hack used the name winm0) I get the same results as with yours..game loads, just no background music. All the directories are correct in the registry and the MUSIC folder is in the same folder as the winmm (Same setup that worked fine before)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    22 Aug 2015 #4

    medievil said: View Post
    dunno why, but doesn't work.. I mean the game loads and everything but doesn't play the background music. May have been your wrapper I was using.. I got it from a blog... Diary of a Punk Rock Hacker: June 2014
    Also what do I need to modify in the dll (or exe) to make the mci change? maybe the close is making it never get to the actual playing of the sound...

    It's funny, GOG released new version of JK and Mysteries of the sith that use winmm and in those games their replacement winmm works fine..but plugging it int he shadows sdata directory (and making sure shadows is looking fro it, original hack used the name winm0) I get the same results as with yours..game loads, just no background music. All the directories are correct in the registry and the MUSIC folder is in the same folder as the winmm (Same setup that worked fine before)
    Haha that was my blog actually!

    I don't remember what I changed, but I never bothered to look into why shadows was being stupid with the new winmm wrapper - I just modified the winmm wrapper to not actually close:

    The modified winmm wrapper for SHADOWS: http://www.filedropper.com/winm0shadows

    Cheers!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    22 Aug 2015 #5

    batteryshark said: View Post
    Haha that was my blog actually!

    I don't remember what I changed, but I never bothered to look into why shadows was being stupid with the new winmm wrapper - I just modified the winmm wrapper to not actually close:

    The modified winmm wrapper for SHADOWS: http://www.filedropper.com/winm0shadows

    Cheers!
    yes!! works perfectly!!

    the close must have been screwing it all up with the other you made as well as the gog build they made.
    Thanks!!!..

    BTW what were you using to give the decompiled view you had pictured on your blog (Not the green code but the other) I can kinda follow a programs code and weed stuff like cd checks out in views like that, but just raw assembler gives me a headache...lol
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    22 Aug 2015 #6

    medievil said: View Post
    yes!! works perfectly!!

    the close must have been screwing it all up with the other you made as well as the gog build they made.
    Thanks!!!..

    BTW what were you using to give the decompiled view you had pictured on your blog (Not the green code but the other) I can kinda follow a programs code and weed stuff like cd checks out in views like that, but just raw assembler gives me a headache...lol
    I generally use IDA pro with the hex rays decompiler... any version in the 6.x range (I use 6.8, at the moment).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    23 Aug 2015 #7

    batteryshark said: View Post
    I generally use IDA pro with the hex rays decompiler... any version in the 6.x range (I use 6.8, at the moment).
    Hey batteryshark, nice work. Any chance you'd release the source for this? I had made a customized version of the ogg-winmm library for one of my old games, and as you know that standard wrapper no longer works in Windows 10. I worked around it by using DLL injection, but I'd love to go back to just dropping the modified winmm.dll into the game directory. Even if you don't want to share the full source, would you mind sharing details on what needed to change to avoid the recursive Winmm.dll loading issue in Windows 10?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    27 Aug 2015 #8

    batteryshark said: View Post
    Haha that was my blog actually!

    I don't remember what I changed, but I never bothered to look into why shadows was being stupid with the new winmm wrapper - I just modified the winmm wrapper to not actually close:

    The modified winmm wrapper for SHADOWS: http://www.filedropper.com/winm0shadows

    Cheers!
    Hi, can you repost the modified winmm wrapper for SHADOWS? Thx.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    30 Aug 2015 #9

    New releases of Windows sometimes have a tendency to mess with DLLs that some older games may depend on. By changing them, some games may no longer work correctly. One thing you can try is to get a correct copy of the DLL file you need, then drop it in the game folder (usually where the game exe/launcher is located). This *should* force the game to use the older DLL file rather than MS's newer version. I've had to do this with a few older games (GTA San Andreas and Vice City).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    30 Aug 2015 #10

    AnonVendetta said: View Post
    New releases of Windows sometimes have a tendency to mess with DLLs that some older games may depend on. By changing them, some games may no longer work correctly. One thing you can try is to get a correct copy of the DLL file you need, then drop it in the game folder (usually where the game exe/launcher is located). This *should* force the game to use the older DLL file rather than MS's newer version. I've had to do this with a few older games (GTA San Andreas and Vice City).
    Not the case here, with older games (Shadows for example) we had to use a wrapper fro winmm because the older games were made before windows switched to winmm for cd access. with win 10, they screwed up their implementation of winmm and the wrapper was no longer working. Any older game, ones that even use winmm will have issue with windows 10 version of it because it is not behaving like it did previously.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
before win 10 I had my photos (1000s ) all arranged in my picture (win 7 ) had em all catalogued and so forth now win 10 in is infinite wisdom put them in folders according to date , beginning with the date I upgraded to win 10 any suggestions...
It's a sad day for early adopters of Microsoft's touch-first OS strategy. Customers who bought some of the first examples of Windows 8.x hybrid systems - e.g. the HP Envy x2 and ElitePad G1, Dell Latitude 10, Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 and Miix...
My RAM is G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) As you can see, it is advertised as 1600MHz. A lot of people have been having problems about it being set to 1333MHz on the BIOS, so I had to specify...
Im seriously desperate.. can anyone help me with my laptop which HAD windows 8 pro on it recently (2days ago) upgraded to windows 10 and it worked fine until it froze, which by then I was surfing online for about 3 hours, so I hell down the...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42.
Find Us