What's the recommended minimum processor state?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 35
    Windows 10
       #1

    What's the recommended minimum processor state?


    Hello, I'm a gamer, and I'm wondering what I should set the minimum processor state on for my PC? It's currently at 100% along with max processor state sitting also at 100% in Power Management. Should I leave it this way? What's the recommended state for gaming?


    Thank you.
      My Computer

  2. hsehestedt's Avatar
    Posts : 2,115
    Windows 10 Pro, 20H2
       #2

    The default is 5% which is the recommended value.

    It makes no difference to gaming because the minimum state only comes into play when the processor is idling and not doing any real work. It will switch to the maximum state automatically when demand is placed upon the CPU.

    EDIT:

    Here is some additional information on the topic:

    Minimum Processor State Windows 10: 5%, 0%, 1%, 100%, or 99% (minitool.com)
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 432
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 20H2
       #3

    Ownsin said:
    Hello, I'm a gamer, and I'm wondering what I should set the minimum processor state on for my PC? It's currently at 100% along with max processor state sitting also at 100% in Power Management. Should I leave it this way? What's the recommended state for gaming?
    If you want to learn about power plans and best power plan to use in which scenarios, check my ultimate gaming guide: share gaming tweaks and chec my comprehensive list will blow your mind

    In particular: section 3. and 4.1
      My Computer

  4. Steve C's Avatar
    Posts : 6,279
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #4

    Setting a 100% minimum state is pointless and just increases your electricity bill.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 1,955
    Windows 10
       #5

    On a Desktop processor it does nothing, the CPU frequency will run from the Base frequency to the Max Turbo frequency as defined by the CPU concerned.

    On a Laptop/Mobile processor the CPU frequency can go below base frequency as a power saving measure. But again there is a limitation as to the percentage as defined by the CPU clock specs for lowest frequency.

    On my Laptop the lowest frequency equates to about 32% of base frequency so setting the minimum below that does nothing. A default of 5% of course means nothing as the CPU will not go there, it will only ever go down to 32%.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 35
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Helmut said:
    On a Desktop processor it does nothing, the CPU frequency will run from the Base frequency to the Max Turbo frequency as defined by the CPU concerned.

    On a Laptop/Mobile processor the CPU frequency can go below base frequency as a power saving measure. But again there is a limitation as to the percentage as defined by the CPU clock specs for lowest frequency.

    On my Laptop the lowest frequency equates to about 32% of base frequency so setting the minimum below that does nothing. A default of 5% of course means nothing as the CPU will not go there, it will only ever go down to 32%.
    I was asking for my desktop PC. So does this mean I should leave it at 100% for both max and min?
      My Computer

  7. hsehestedt's Avatar
    Posts : 2,115
    Windows 10 Pro, 20H2
       #7

    NO! Set minimum to 5%. Read the article I linked to earlier. It is specifically noted that setting the minimum to 100% is NOT recommended.
      My Computers

  8. zebal's Avatar
    Posts : 902
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2 (Build: 19042.867)
       #8

    @Ownsin

    I would create a new power profile called "gaming", there set everything to maximum.
    Use this power profile only when playing game.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 35
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    zebal said:
    @Ownsin

    I would create a new power profile called "gaming", there set everything to maximum.
    Use this power profile only when playing game.
    I mean is that necessary? Will setting the min to 5% affect my gaming sessions in any way?
      My Computer

  10. hsehestedt's Avatar
    Posts : 2,115
    Windows 10 Pro, 20H2
       #10

    These questions have already been answered. It will not affect gaming but is bad because it forces the CPU to wide open all the time and will not allow it to throttle back properly when idle.
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:20.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums