How can sign-up be so difficult at Rockstar Games? I gave up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 25,693
    Windows 11 Pro 22621.290
       #11

    Faith said:
    You have never heard of Grand Theft Auto (GTA) before? It's a well established game series from the late 90's that's been in many controversial issues over the decades regarding violence in video games on mainstream media. GTA 5 is a game that has sold 100 million copies by now. You don't need to follow gaming news or even like games to know GTA. Even the name gives it away what it's all about:



    What Is Grand Theft Auto? Defenses? Punishment? :: Manhattan Beach, California Theft Defense Lawyers Greg Hill & Associates

    If you are concerned about any form of killing then you should probably stay away. GTA is a mature game for mature people, and it's not shy to show violent scenes. Though it's a shame if you judge it because of the rating because the game is really good, has an amazing story and entertaining characters. Rockstar Games is one of the leaders of excellent story telling and writing in the gaming industry. The violence isn't over-the-top, but more refined and 'realistic', like if you steal a car and you accidentally ride someone over. The game use euphoria engine for physics and it can look rather realistic in how people behave when you do something violent.
    I think I already post this.....
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 920
    Windows 10 Pro
       #12

    I totally agree with you Kari about those captures, at times the item you are supposed to see is really tiny, somewhere in an upper or lower quadrant and is so easy to miss, at other times it seems the server fails to recognise that you have clicked all the right pictures and you end up in an endless loop or seems that way).
    As to the game itself, I know plenty of people that if you say Star Wars or Star Trek to them they reply "what?".
    Just because something is big in news (internet, media etc) does not mean that everyone is aware of it.
    If you are interested in a more cerebrally challenging game you should really check out some "point and click" titles, I can highly recommend The Journey Down, a 3 part puzzle solver, humorous, not blatantly obvious but also not too easy.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1,561
    Windows 10 Home 20H2 64-bit
       #13

    OK, let's agree about this: according to your comment, I am not mature because, especially after you told me what's it all about, I do not intend to test it because I know it would make my stomach hurt, make me feel uncomfortable. I fail to see what's mature in killing, but I have to believe you, take your word: it's mature.

    And, a question to both Josey and you: Could you please explain to me, how on earth should I have understood from the game title "Grand Theft Auto" that it involves killing? For me, a non-native English speaker, it just means stealing a car.
    I mean mature as in the rating for the game, that's what the ESRB call it. I may have worded it incorrectly, and looking into it further it's actually "Adults Only". You can obviously be mature and not like violent games, that's what the content descriptors are for (GTA:SA rating).
    Intense violence

    Graphic and realistic-looking depictions of physical conflict. May involve extreme and/or realistic blood, gore, weapons and depictions of human injury and Death
    In context it just a generalization that "mature" people should play it, it doesn't imply that you are not mature if you feel uncomfortable around violent games. Let me make that clear, you can be mature and not like violent games. As for your question; Grand Theft Auto means you stealing a car, which implies what? that maybe you need to be violent? maybe even kill? But even if it didn't, do you really need every game to spell out what they are all about in the title? I am also non native English speaker. It will literally take you seconds to find a brief synopsis on what the game is about.

    On-topic: I don't see how anyone other than RG can help you with the CAPTCHA verification. Maybe you should tweet them some more.

    Faith
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 668
    Win 10 pro
       #14

    Kari said:
    Generally speaking, I am not interested in gaming. I am especially not interested in the most popular form of gaming, killing people for fun in various "kill everything that moves" games. I simply fail to see any entertainment value in killing.

    Anyway, browsing the web today, I saw this, and thought I might check a kind of game I have never used / played:

    Attachment 249516
    (https://socialclub.rockstargames.com...ntent=DE-10067)

    Might be better that after 3 - 4 minutes of clicking those CAPTCHA images, I just gave up. If it is this impossible to sign up, I really do not need nor want it. Even when it's free.

    Kari
    Hi, were did you have to click, inside the red box? is it possible that there is some click jacking "scam" that force you to resolve captcha (?) I tested the link and only "download for windows" works for me and proposes to download the "Games launcher".
    (Possibly you put the red box to point the offer, and it's not what you're clicking ...)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Kari said:
    I thought it is a car game, driving around?

    Kari
    I guess you can only drive around and be polite without killing , I don't think it should be mandatory.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 25,693
    Windows 11 Pro 22621.290
       #15

    Pejole2165 said:
    I totally agree with you Kari about those captures, at times the item you are supposed to see is really tiny, somewhere in an upper or lower quadrant and is so easy to miss, at other times it seems the server fails to recognise that you have clicked all the right pictures and you end up in an endless loop or seems that way).
    As to the game itself, I know plenty of people that if you say Star Wars or Star Trek to them they reply "what?".
    Just because something is big in news (internet, media etc) does not mean that everyone is aware of it.
    If you are interested in a more cerebrally challenging game you should really check out some "point and click" titles, I can highly recommend The Journey Down, a 3 part puzzle solver, humorous, not blatantly obvious but also not too easy.
    The security for these games is getting out of control. Some want to send me a code on My Smart Phone, well I do not own a smartphone. Kari is absolutely right.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 920
    Windows 10 Pro
       #16

    Same as banks, if I try to make a payment (a new payee) they want to send a one time pass code to my mobile, well I don't own a mobile, so I have to phone them on a landline, go through a load of security checks, authorise the payment then spend 15mins explaining to the knob at the bank that I don't want to get a mobile phone, I don't care how cheap they are...so and so on. I can do my banking online to people/ companies already set up. but every new payee...the same ****ing routine.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 19,242
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #17

    Kari said:
    Back to the topic: I cannot understand that this game company has made it practically impossible to sign up.

    Kari
    Maybe to deter too young kids to access it ? Although we old folks would have more trouble.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 191
    Windows 10 Pro x64 latest version
       #18

    Josey Wales said:
    The security for these games is getting out of control. Some want to send me a code on My Smart Phone, well I do not own a smartphone. Kari is absolutely right.
    Pejole2165 said:
    Same as banks, if I try to make a payment (a new payee) they want to send a one time pass code to my mobile, well I don't own a mobile, so I have to phone them on a landline, go through a load of security checks, authorise the payment then spend 15mins explaining to the knob at the bank that I don't want to get a mobile phone, I don't care how cheap they are...so and so on. I can do my banking online to people/ companies already set up. but every new payee...the same ****ing routine.


    I mean, the security is necessary. You will need to eventually own a cell phone. Two factor authentication is a must for any online account. Too many people use insecure passwords and have really bad security. Banks are going to start requiring two factor soon where I live.

    As for the captchas they can be frustrating sometimes, but I think the most I ever failed was one a single time. But I did not try rockstars launcher so maybe this one is worse somehow.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 920
    Windows 10 Pro
       #19

    I firmly believe that the "need" to link your phone to your online accounts is purely for marketing purposes.
    This is the modern social disease, all your data being harvested from every device you own.
    Passwords and 2 factor authentication can be cracked, but we have highly effective encryption methods, why not just use them to encrypt passwords at both ends, really is no need to link every thing to your phone.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 191
    Windows 10 Pro x64 latest version
       #20

    Pejole2165 said:
    I firmly believe that the "need" to link your phone to your online accounts is purely for marketing purposes.
    This is the modern social disease, all your data being harvested from every device you own.
    Passwords and 2 factor authentication can be cracked, but we have highly effective encryption methods, why not just use them to encrypt passwords at both ends, really is no need to link every thing to your phone.
    Sometimes sure, if the company is scummy.
    Your phone is encrypted, and is something that most people own. Unfortunately, many people don't use a pin to unlock their phone and just use the fingerprint. But its still better than nothing at all. Two factor is extremely secure, especially through an app.
    It makes it so the casual audience can have good security as its better than just a password.

    The average user cannot understand or know how to use encryption, and don't want to be bothered with the setup. Plus, it isn't convenient. We already have people complaining about two factor authentication that's required in some places already, and you want them to use enhanced encryption?

    Better security is something that can be used by anyone and is secure. Two factor usually achieves this easily. Scams are now the most common weakness.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:15.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums