Looking for a game controller

  1. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 5,323
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       11 Nov 2018 #1

    Looking for a game controller


    I have games downloaded from Windows Store to my laptop which is running Win 10 version 1803 build 17134.376.

    Where can I get a controller for those games ? The mouse is not exactly ideal for some games.
    Thank you.
    P.S. The only video game console I have is Play Station 2. I am not a "gamer".
    So, forgive me if I use the wrong terminology.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    11 Nov 2018 #2

    Simplest thing would be to get a XBox One controller. The official Microsoft controller can be connected with Bluetooth or USB cable and Windows will automatically recognize it. I assume 3rd party XBox controllers work similarly but I have never used one.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 5,323
    windows 10 Home threshold2
    Thread Starter
       11 Nov 2018 #3

    PolarNettles said: View Post
    Simplest thing would be to get a XBox One controller. The official Microsoft controller can be connected with Bluetooth or USB cable and Windows will automatically recognize it. I assume 3rd party XBox controllers work similarly but I have never used one.
    Thank you.
    My laptop is not Bluetooth capable.
    It is an Acer Aspire 7741Z-4806, 17 inch screen.
    I was hoping I can get one that is wireless with a plug connected to usb port. You know, like wireless mouse.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 5,323
    windows 10 Home threshold2
    Thread Starter
       11 Nov 2018 #4

    I went to my online shopping site, Amazon.ca and found this.....
    Microsoft XBOX One Controller with Wireless Adapter for PC/Mac/Linux

    It is a little pricey, but is it what I will need to have since my laptop is not Bluetooth capable ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    11 Nov 2018 #5

    A USB Bluetooth dongle (like USB Bluetooth V4.0.3. Wireless Mini Adapter Dongle (Windows 10, 8, 7, Raspberry Pi, Linux, Classic Bluetooth and Stereo Headset Compatible): Amazon.ca: Electronics ) may be cheaper than the XBox wireless adapter. And it would be smaller.

    But either way would work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 5,323
    windows 10 Home threshold2
    Thread Starter
       11 Nov 2018 #6

    PolarNettles said: View Post
    A USB Bluetooth dongle (like USB Bluetooth V4.0.3. Wireless Mini Adapter Dongle (Windows 10, 8, 7, Raspberry Pi, Linux, Classic Bluetooth and Stereo Headset Compatible): Amazon.ca: Electronics ) may be cheaper than the XBox wireless adapter. And it would be smaller.

    But either way would work.
    Thank you.
    Let me see if I fully understand the matter...…

    If I use the USB Bluetooth V4.0.3. Wireless Mini Adapter Dongle and the Xbox One Wireless Controller ( not the same one I posted earlier. This one is Bluetooth and does not include an adaptor.) They will recognize each other ?

    If so, this combination will save me about $13, before taxes.
    Everything is more expensive in Canada than in US.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. blackroseMD1's Avatar
    Posts : 1,914
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview x64
       12 Nov 2018 #7

    davidhk said: View Post
    Thank you.
    Let me see if I fully understand the matter...…

    If I use the USB Bluetooth V4.0.3. Wireless Mini Adapter Dongle and the Xbox One Wireless Controller ( not the same one I posted earlier. This one is Bluetooth and does not include an adaptor.) They will recognize each other ?

    If so, this combination will save me about $13, before taxes.
    Everything is more expensive in Canada than in US.
    Yep, they should recognize each other fine. That's how I was connecting my XBox One bluetooth controller to my PC for the longest time and it worked fine.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 5,323
    windows 10 Home threshold2
    Thread Starter
       13 Nov 2018 #8

    blackroseMD1 said: View Post
    Yep, they should recognize each other fine. That's how I was connecting my XBox One bluetooth controller to my PC for the longest time and it worked fine.
    Thank you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
How to Calibrate a Game Controller in Windows 10 If your game controller is not functioning properly in Windows 10, then it may need to be calibrated to make sure that the axes are accurate. This tutorial will show you how to calibrate a...
I am hoping to use one of these bluetooth game controllers to simulate some keyboard presses so I can control my DIY teleprompter. I can pair it with my PC and Windows sees it as a keyboard (name MOCUTE-032X_B63-9196) but I don't know how to get the...
HID Compliant Game Controller Driver in Drivers and Hardware
If I have my RealFlight Interlink Elite Controller plugged into a USB port on a computer running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro the screen saver and power save options will not work. This work perfectly with Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 prior to my...
I upgraded from win 7 to win10 on 18/8 without any particular problems and after returning from vacation wanted to use my Saitek X55 joystick which consist of two USB HID controllers, one for the joystick and one for the throttle. I observed that...
I have really gotten into Asphalt 8 : Airborne racing game, wondering if playing it on keyboard is holding me back. What is a good usb game controller that is compatible with windows 10? Thanks TC :)
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20.
Find Us