Windows 10: Halo PC won't launch Solved

  1.    10 Feb 2018 #1

    Halo PC won't launch


    First of all, I hadn't played Halo PC in awhile, maybe a couple of months, yet I've had Windows 10 since about Day One. It HAS worked before. I don't know at one point it stopped working, if it was one of the latest Windows 10 updates, that, I don't know. I think it's worked since the Fall update, but I haven't really played it much since then.

    Upon launching the game, I get the message: We are sorry but there was a problem accessing your personal Halo PC files which are located in your My Documents folder.

    Mind you, the PC version of this game came out in 2003, so it was originally built for Windows XP, and that the Documents folder had been moved around, since. Once again, the game HAS worked fine on my machine on every version of Windows, since....well, with the exception of possibly WIndows 8/8.1, I never owned a copy of that. It worked fine on Vista, 7 and then 10.

    A support link is provided in the error message, but the page cannot be found.

    It looks like it's having trouble basically accessing the Documents\My Games\Halo folder.Before anyone suggests this: Re-installing did not help at all. Compatibility mode didn't help, either.

    See the attachment to see the error I'm experiencing, but I did basically describe it.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	haloerror.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	176580
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    11 Feb 2018 #2

    Can you try adding Halo to the Controlled Folder Access allowed app list? Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10 Security System Tutorials
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    11 Feb 2018 #3

    PolarNettles said: View Post
    Can you try adding Halo to the Controlled Folder Access allowed app list? Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10 Security System Tutorials
    EDIT: I found a workaround so I'm able to access and edit the registry. I'm currently working on it and will post another reply with results.

    That doesn't even work. I cannot even create the first registry key, I end up with permission errors. See attached. I tried manually creating a reg file and that didn't work, either.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	regerror.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	176605
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    11 Feb 2018 #4

    PolarNettles said: View Post
    Can you try adding Halo to the Controlled Folder Access allowed app list? Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10 Security System Tutorials
    @PolarNettles is there a guild for my build? I noticed that this is for a later build of Windows 10 and the instructions are different than what I'm seeing. I'm currently on Windows 10 64 bit, Build: 16299.214

    I'm also using Bitdefender Total Security 2018, if that helps.

    EDIT: I've made little progress. I actually went into my BitDefender settings and disabled it. The good news is, that Halo does launch. Unfortunately, it then freezes, then minimizes, but the process stays open, I can keep clicking on the little window, but it'll do nothing. I might try uninstalling Halo, then re-installing it with Bitdefender disabled and see what happens. Funny, I've never had these two apps collide, before.

    Edit #2: It looks like also, Windows Defender is turned off.
    Last edited by JOSHSKORN; 11 Feb 2018 at 08:15.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    11 Feb 2018 #5

    Strange, Not run Halo for a couple of years, it's been sitting on a drive that's gone from Win7 to Win10 and moved to a different PC, Fired up first time, other than having to agree the licence and input settings it's working OK.

    Edit: And created it's folder in C:\Users\xxxxx\Documents\My Games\Halo
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    11 Feb 2018 #6

    clam1952 said: View Post
    Strange, Not run Halo for a couple of years, it's been sitting on a drive that's gone from Win7 to Win10 and moved to a different PC, Fired up first time, other than having to agree the licence and input settings it's working OK.

    Edit: And created it's folder in C:\Users\xxxxx\Documents\My Games\Halo
    Do you have Bitdefender? Secondly, did you update it to 1.00.10 and confirm that it's running? I'm not all sure what I did a couple of years ago, if it was just the "10" update or another update, but basically, Gamespy had closed down and we needed to do something to point the game to another service, maybe that was part of the update. Were you able to see servers under multipayer? I'm about ready to re-install it now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    11 Feb 2018 #7

    My Anti-virus, Bitdefender Total Security 2018 was causing the problem. I never would have thought to investigate this. Thank you for tipping me off, @PolarNettles .

    Basically, the post from you told me to investigate settings, that I apparently did not have, because I'm not using Windows Defender.

    Initially, Halo would not even launch. I would get the error message in the OP. Then, I found a way using BitDefender to allow the Halo app. I was then able to open the game, but it would freeze at the initial screen, turning into a small window, then taking full screen again, back and forth. Why was I all the sudden seeing this behavior? No idea. Maybe it has something to do with new protections brought on by Meltdown and Spectre.

    Thank you @clam1952 for attempting to look into the matter, as well. Too bad we weren't experiencing the same issue.

    Solution: Turn off BitDefender, THEN install Halo PC, update it with the latest patch (Halo PC 1.0.10) found on this page, confirm that it's running, then re-enable BitDefender.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1
    Windows 10 64bit
       16 Mar 2018 #8

    Thank you for this!!


    Many thanks for this, fixed my not loading and allowed me to get my Halo fix again... An overzealous Bit Defender is better than an ineffective one.

    JOSHSKORN said: View Post
    My Anti-virus, Bitdefender Total Security 2018 was causing the problem. I never would have thought to investigate this. Thank you for tipping me off, @PolarNettles .

    Basically, the post from you told me to investigate settings, that I apparently did not have, because I'm not using Windows Defender.

    Initially, Halo would not even launch. I would get the error message in the OP. Then, I found a way using BitDefender to allow the Halo app. I was then able to open the game, but it would freeze at the initial screen, turning into a small window, then taking full screen again, back and forth. Why was I all the sudden seeing this behavior? No idea. Maybe it has something to do with new protections brought on by Meltdown and Spectre.

    Thank you @clam1952 for attempting to look into the matter, as well. Too bad we weren't experiencing the same issue.

    Solution: Turn off BitDefender, THEN install Halo PC, update it with the latest patch (Halo PC 1.0.10) found on this page, confirm that it's running, then re-enable BitDefender.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Source: http://news.xbox.com/2017/03/21/worlds-best-halo-teams-compete-weekend-halo-world-championship-2017/
The "target" and "start in" settings are identical: C:\Program Files\iTunes.exe. The "open file location" button goes to the correct folder and file. Each time I click the shortcut a new instance of iTunes appears in Task Manager, but nothing...
Source: Join 343 Industries For The Halo Wars 2 Livestream Launch Celebration February 16 - Xbox Wire
Source: A Whole New World for Halo 5 Begins Now | Windows Experience Blog
Solved Halo Demo? in Gaming
I loved the original demo of the first one so much! Just wondering... Are ppl still playing it? Was thinking about downloading It again if I can find it.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09.
Find Us