Windows 10: Win10 Desktop - F6 turns my Wifi off, - how to I reassign this key ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    27 Nov 2017 #1

    Win10 Desktop - F6 turns my Wifi off, - how to I reassign this key ?


    I want the F6 key to do something else, but it is being (at some stage) assigned to "turn off wifi".

    I don't know what program or task is setting F6 to do this. I have a desktop win10 latest update.

    How do I find out what program is assinging this ? I checked my startup but nothing seems to be obvious.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    27 Nov 2017 #2

    Is this a laptop? If so, what is the make/model of the laptop? Generally with laptops the Fkey are predesignated and most of the time they are dual purpose key functions. Most of the time the keys are labeled as to what function they do. The vendor has a software/driver package for that and sometimes it's wrapped up/in with another driver/software package.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    27 Nov 2017 #3

    Plankton said: View Post
    Is this a laptop? If so, what is the make/model of the laptop? Generally with laptops the Fkey are predesignated and most of the time they are dual purpose key functions. Most of the time the keys are labeled as to what function they do. The vendor has a software/driver package for that and sometimes it's wrapped up/in with another driver/software package.
    Desktop.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    27 Nov 2017 #4

    And....the make/model?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    27 Nov 2017 #5

    Plankton said: View Post
    And....the make/model?
    I built it myself, and installed a fresh, straight Win10 OS.
    Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    27 Nov 2017 #6

    Ahh...congrats on the build. You might want to change your system specs then....it lists a laptop. What keyboard are you using?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    27 Nov 2017 #7

    Plankton said: View Post
    Ahh...congrats on the build. You might want to change your system specs then....it lists a laptop. What keyboard are you using?
    Keyboard is simply a generic Amazon own brand.
    https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...mazon+keyboard
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. sml156's Avatar
    Posts : 667
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       28 Nov 2017 #8

    If you installed the software for that keyboard you should be able to disable the Hotkeys, If not there is probably a key labeled Fn that should help
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    28 Nov 2017 #9

    sml156 said: View Post
    If you installed the software for that keyboard you should be able to disable the Hotkeys, If not there is probably a key labeled Fn that should help
    Thanks, --- there's no software for kboard. Its just plug and play.
    I think F6 is hardwired to turn off wifi, and other keys on the keyboard are hardwired to do other stuff like increase / decrease volume.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    28 Nov 2017 #10

    You can try some 3rd party software.....it might work for you. Just do a search for it and pick one.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
So, this happens, what can I do? Desktop problem on Vimeo
Whenever a device is connected to my hotspot the wifi is turning off automatically thereby stopping the hotspot. To turn the Windows 10 hotspot on, in first step I have turned on the Wireless Network Connection as shown in the below image. ...
I upgraded my friends HP laptop to Windows 10. The issue now is I can't enable Wifi. The card is recognized correctly in Device manager and no issues is found with it. It looks like it is fine. However in the Network Settings WLAN is set to "Off"...
Daily, I find that the personalisation settings have changed. I boot to a new background but then it stays fixed on the new picture. In the Personalisation settings. 'Slideshow' changes itself to 'Picture'. I set it to use the slideshow when on...
The title probably could use some work. Feel free to edit, anyone, if you know a better one. Here's the deal: I've got a big monitor running the recommended 3840 x 2160 resolution. I have items all over my desktop that I am working with. If...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:47.
Find Us