Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    2 Weeks Ago #1

    CPU recommendations for a lot of video conversions


    Hi there
    anybody got any ideas on what's a good CPU to use for a whole slew of Video conversions --essentially converting losslessly from m2ts to mp4 / mkv or with slight loss to HEVC H265.

    Poor old laptop with i5 cpu running jobs overnight isn't the right tool for this job --my NAS server also doesn't have a very powerful CPU (not needed for things like file share / media streaming).

    I was thinking of looking at an older dual XEON Mobo (if I can find one) as I think the multi-threading is proibably better than just the number of cores - but I'm open to suggestion here. Bog standard i7 probably won't be significantly be better than the i5 for this job unless it has a load more cores as well as hyper threading.

    Thanks guys - in advance.

    I'm quite OK at building kit --it's the CPU I'm basically interested in here -- the graphics card per se doesn't have to be special as it's not going to be a gaming rig.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    2 Weeks Ago #2
    Join Date : Jun 2017
    Posts : 114
    10 Pro 16299.15 64 Bit

    the i5 should have plenty of power to do the job. i was converting videos overnight using a core2duo e8400. if you're looking for a cheap cpu for the job try what i have a amd fx 6300. i have and am very pleased with this builds performance.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    2 Weeks Ago #3
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 920
    Windows 10 Pro

    I would look at a ryzen cpu for that type of task. The 1700x and 1800x keeps you in the $300-$500 bracket.

    A threadripper 1920x will do very well with this task around $800.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    2 Weeks Ago #4
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,590
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    anybody got any ideas on what's a good CPU to use for a whole slew of Video conversions --essentially converting losslessly from m2ts to mp4 / mkv or with slight loss to HEVC H265.

    Poor old laptop with i5 cpu running jobs overnight isn't the right tool for this job --my NAS server also doesn't have a very powerful CPU (not needed for things like file share / media streaming).

    I was thinking of looking at an older dual XEON Mobo (if I can find one) as I think the multi-threading is proibably better than just the number of cores - but I'm open to suggestion here. Bog standard i7 probably won't be significantly be better than the i5 for this job unless it has a load more cores as well as hyper threading.

    Thanks guys - in advance.

    I'm quite OK at building kit --it's the CPU I'm basically interested in here -- the graphics card per se doesn't have to be special as it's not going to be a gaming rig.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    The choice for a CPU, will depend on the conversion software you will use.
    Some software leverages speed, and other cores/threads.
    Also some will leverage your GPU more(OpenCL), there a 1070 or better a 1070Ti could be enough.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    2 Weeks Ago #5
    Join Date : Jun 2017
    Posts : 114
    10 Pro 16299.15 64 Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    I would look at a ryzen cpu for that type of task. The 1700x and 1800x keeps you in the $300-$500 bracket.
    A threadripper 1920x will do very well with this task around $800.
    no need to spend 300 much less 800. first should find out if his mobo will handle an i7.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    2 Weeks Ago #6
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 920
    Windows 10 Pro

    Well considering his i5 was in a laptop, I think you can pretty much ascertain that it's not going to upgrade to an I7.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    1 Week Ago #7
    Join Date : Jun 2017
    Posts : 114
    10 Pro 16299.15 64 Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Well considering his i5 was in a laptop, I think you can pretty much ascertain that it's not going to upgrade to an I7.
    alright fair enough, but make no mistake he does not need to spend that kind of money on a processor. right now he can get an i7 laptop for under 800, so should be able to get a really good amd3+ laptop for less.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    1 Week Ago #8
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Houston
    Posts : 2,103
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64

    Hi,
    Only question I have are you looking for a processor for your laptop or a new laptop with that processor or are you starting a new build entirely ?

    Any of the X series chips will work I'd imagine also thread ripper is another valid suggestion too
    Issue with the X series is mostly heat delidding cures that issue but does void the warranty too.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    1 Week Ago #9
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 920
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by xXWhackerXx View Post
    alright fair enough, but make no mistake he does not need to spend that kind of money on a processor. right now he can get an i7 laptop for under 800, so should be able to get a really good amd3+ laptop for less.
    If he wants to significantly improve his performance, it won't happen on a sub $800 laptop. I was making a suggestion based on improving his performance dramatically.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    1 Week Ago #10
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Houston
    Posts : 2,103
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    If he wants to significantly improve his performance, it won't happen on a sub $800 laptop. I was making a suggestion based on improving his performance dramatically.
    Hi,
    Yep I liked your suggestion
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Powered USB C Hub to USB 3 - Recommendations and help please
Hi Recently purchased new rig, not enough USB ports. Got the Asus PRIME x299a so thinking of using the USB C port into a multi USB3 hub. Windows10x64 Any recommendations from personal use etc much appreciated (UK/Europe based please). Sorry as...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved New Monitor Recommendations
My aged 23" HP 2311x monitor died. My PC is a loaded HP ENVY. I am not a gamer. Considering going from a 23" to 27". Please recommend a high quality name brand monitor. My budget is from $250 to $300. Thanks
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Solved Motherboard recommendations
Gigabyte told me back in June that my H67A-UD3H-B3 motherboard was compatible with Win10. After months of fighting various issues and an extremely long Gigabyte support ticket trying to get usb issues resolved, I called Gigabyte today because...
Drivers and Hardware
Backup strategy recommendations
A friend has asked me for help in setting up a backup strategy for her computer. I am way out of date on the best practices in this area. It's a desktop computer currently running Windows 7 but she wants to bring it up to date with Windows 10 so I'm...
Backup and Restore
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:02.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums