Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    3 Weeks Ago #1
    Join Date : Nov 2016
    Posts : 35
    Windows 10

    Do I want the APC Back-UPS or the APC Voltage Regulator?


    Thanks for taking a look at my question.

    So, to put it plainly, if I do not care about battery back-ups but want the other protections, will the APC Line R voltage Regulator accomplish what I need? I want to protect my 17 inch notebook PC from surges and power fluctuations that can harm a PC over time. Thanks!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    3 Weeks Ago #2
    Join Date : Oct 2016
    Caledon, Ontario, Canada
    Posts : 4,020
    Windows 10 Pro Build 1703

    Hi tonightwetaco

    From reading documentation it looks like all you need although as I understand it your laptop gets power from battery any way so you are really just protecting charging system.

    I went with UPS with same function so my modem / routers, cordless phones etc would also be protected. If my cable modem shuts off, or flickers, it takes several minutes for it to reestablish, wanted to avoid this.

    Ken
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    3 Weeks Ago #3
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 920
    Windows 10 Pro

    Personally, I would do the UPS. It warranties equipment plugged into it from power surges, etc. And in the event you have a power outage, it provides you with power for things like a small radio, clock, etc. I used mine once to run the air bubblers for my fish tank during an extended power outage.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    3 Weeks Ago #4
    Join Date : Nov 2016
    Posts : 35
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    thanks for the help you two
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    3 Weeks Ago #5
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 28,983
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Definitely the UPS route. Just one blip is enough to send an hours worth of updates down the tube, or worse. I got my Cyberpower 1500 last April, and never regretted it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    3 Weeks Ago #6
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    New Orleans Northshore
    Posts : 232
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1

    Definitely the UPS route, the APC ones do a lot more than act as a battery back up. Mainly they line balance protect your AC Adapter from power surges and brown out. I use this one it has lithium battery very light weight and covers everything that is needed. I travel with my Asus G752VY 17" and use is as a desktop replacement. I'm on boats barges and ships with flakey electrical supplies I would be with out one.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    3 Weeks Ago #7
    Join Date : Nov 2016
    Posts : 35
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    Definitely the UPS route. Just one blip is enough to send an hours worth of updates down the tube, or worse. I got my Cyberpower 1500 last April, and never regretted it.
    i am finding a lot of the answer confusing sorry.

    the Line R Voltage Regulator has a surge protector built in, doesnt that protect against the "1 blip" issue?

    i just want to protect my notebook from those power fluctuations that degrade electronics overtime. The Voltage Regulator does that and also has surge protection. What am I missing that you all kep suggesting the battery backup as well? I don't need a battery backup because the notebook has a battery built in.


    also, APC told me I can plug the Voltage Regulator into my 2000 joule surge protector if I want. Doesnt that solve the "1 blip" issue as well?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    3 Weeks Ago #8
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 28,983
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by tonightwetaco View Post
    i am finding a lot of the answer confusing sorry.

    the Line R Voltage Regulator has a surge protector built in, doesnt that protect against the "1 blip" issue?

    i just want to protect my notebook from those power fluctuations that degrade electronics overtime. The Voltage Regulator does that and also has surge protection. What am I missing that you all kep suggesting the battery backup as well? I don't need a battery backup because the notebook has a battery built in.


    also, APC told me I can plug the Voltage Regulator into my 2000 joule surge protector if I want. Doesnt that solve the "1 blip" issue as well?
    Sorry, the wording and terms can get a little wacky. The blip I'm speaking of is a momentary loss of power. Surge protectors protect against spikes, but not severe brown-outs or power outage. Laptop with battery? Sure, the UPS with battery is kinda redundant unless you want to keep the charger on clean continuous protected power. It all comes down to the specific application.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    3 Weeks Ago #9
    Join Date : Nov 2016
    Posts : 35
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    Sorry, the wording and terms can get a little wacky. The blip I'm speaking of is a momentary loss of power. Surge protectors protect against spikes, but not severe brown-outs or power outage. Laptop with battery? Sure, the UPS with battery is kinda redundant unless you want to keep the charger on clean continuous protected power. It all comes down to the specific application.
    i understand better now, thank you. Regarding specific specifications. What I want to do is leave my notebook/charger plugged in at all times and have it be protected from spikes/low and high voltage issues etc.. Basically nice and clean supply of reliable current.I assume if there is a loss of power the notebooks battery will kick in. Thanks!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    3 Weeks Ago #10
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    New Orleans Northshore
    Posts : 232
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1

    Yes, and with a UPS during a line power dropping the UPS will kick in to maintain constant power supply so they work both ways power spike the battery kicks in to maintain constant line voltages.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Voltage up/down
https://s30.postimg.org/9rvbkekn5/why.jpg Changed the LLC from Level 6 back to Auto https://s30.postimg.org/4tfm4jro1/why_ok.jpg
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Solved AMD FX 8350 voltage queries.
Hi everyone, I've got a little bit of a problem regarding my new set up. I got a new rig for Christmas which included a MSI Gaming 970 motherboard and a AMD FX 8350. I robbed the cooler off my old pc which is a Arctic Freezer Pro 7 and i noticed...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Can't use the back button to go back to Google Search Results.
Can't use the back button to go back to Google Search Results. Any fix? We notice this in Seamonkey 2.40 I also read this is kind of an on going problem but couldn't find a solution that why I am asking here. I read it has happen in Firefox,...
Browsers and Email
Low Battery Voltage Message
Hello Guys, I have a old DELL desktop running Windows 7 and is my daily PC. This morning when I turned it on it said something like "Low Battery Voltage" press F1 to continue (loaded windows) and perhaps press another key to enter BIOS. But...
Drivers and Hardware
Ich10r max voltage.
I have an x58 motherboard witch have an ich10 r sata controller. Can u tell me witch is the max safe voltage fo ich10 r (southbridge)? I searched in intel site but i coulden find it. Thnx
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:01.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums