Windows 10: How can I update my BIOS?

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 8,721
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       4 Weeks Ago #101

    The operating system was upgraded a few days ago so the event log is only a few days old.
    It appears clean. Just service errors.
    Driver update programs have been the source of many bsod in the bsod forum.
    It is unclear what the software installs along with the driver.
    The best source of drivers is the computer manufacturer as the computer manufacturer can modify the component manufacturer drivers for it's computers.
    The second best source of drivers is from the component manufacturer.
    We recommend that you uninstall any software that automatically updates or finds drivers and perform manual updates from the computer manufacturer website.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,243
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       4 Weeks Ago #102

    zbook said: View Post
    The operating system was upgraded a few days ago so the event log is only a few days old.
    It appears clean. Just service errors.
    Driver update programs have been the source of many bsod in the bsod forum.
    It is unclear what the software installs along with the driver.
    The best source of drivers is the computer manufacturer as the computer manufacturer can modify the component manufacturer drivers for it's computers.
    The second best source of drivers is from the component manufacturer.
    We recommend that you uninstall any software that automatically updates or finds drivers and perform manual updates from the computer manufacturer website.
    I will do that. But since Acer is no longer updating this machine, how can I determine what drivers I need from the component manufacturer?
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 8,721
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       4 Weeks Ago #103

    It is easy when the computer manufacturer is supporting the operating system and drivers.
    As computer's age the computer manufacturer may no longer test drivers for the older computers.
    So there are many computers in use today that only have computer manufacturer approved drivers for windows 8 or 8.1.

    We have all been trained to update drivers.
    However sometimes it's best to leave a well working computer with its current drivers and occasionally we roll back drivers.
    The drivers or updates that are often the most important are the bios updates and these come from the computer manufacturer.
    Windows by default will automatically update non-Microsoft drivers.
    And this can be problematic.
    For example for approximately the past 6 months there have been problems with a new Realtek driver, Rtwlane, with Asus notebooks. They had bsods with the 2017 driver. All of these computers had their drivers rolled back to 2015 or 2016 to make a stable computer environment. So the latest driver is not always the best driver.
    The computer manufacturers website can be checked quarterly to see if there are any updated drivers or firmware.
    And the component manufacturer websites can be checked quarterly too.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,243
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       4 Weeks Ago #104

    zbook said: View Post
    It is easy when the computer manufacturer is supporting the operating system and drivers.
    As computer's age the computer manufacturer may no longer test drivers for the older computers.
    So there are many computers in use today that only have computer manufacturer approved drivers for windows 8 or 8.1.

    We have all been trained to update drivers.
    However sometimes it's best to leave a well working computer with its current drivers and occasionally we roll back drivers.
    The drivers or updates that are often the most important are the bios updates and these come from the computer manufacturer.
    Windows by default will automatically update non-Microsoft drivers.
    And this can be problematic.
    For example for approximately the past 6 months there have been problems with a new Realtek driver, Rtwlane, with Asus notebooks. They had bsods with the 2017 driver. All of these computers had their drivers rolled back to 2015 or 2016 to make a stable computer environment. So the latest driver is not always the best driver.
    The computer manufacturers website can be checked quarterly to see if there are any updated drivers or firmware.
    And the component manufacturer websites can be checked quarterly too.
    You may have to help me with checking the component manufacturer for updates. Because I donít know where to look. When I think of driver updates from component manufacturers, I think of Intel, American Megatrends (BIOS), Realtek, etc. However, I can never find updated drivers for this computer from the component manufacturers. Acerís last drivers for this model date back to 2014-2015. That was a while ago now. There are no updated drivers for 2017 which means there probably wonít be any.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 1,243
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       4 Weeks Ago #105

    Also, have we come up for a solution for beeping sound?
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 8,721
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       4 Weeks Ago #106

    Check this link:
    Computer POST and beep codes
    Many smart phones have a voice recorder. You can use it and post the recording into the the thread.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 1,243
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       4 Weeks Ago #107

    Okay. I will do that once itís finished testing.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 1,243
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       4 Weeks Ago #108

    zbook said: View Post
    Check this link:
    Computer POST and beep codes
    Many smart phones have a voice recorder. You can use it and post the recording into the the thread.
    Referring to the beep code, it has an AMI or American Megatrends BIOS. According to their beep code is which is 1 short which is what it sounds like to me, that indicates DRAM Refresh failure.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 1,243
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       4 Weeks Ago #109

    I also forgot to add, that when this computer is restarted (Ex: after an update has been installed) it will also beep indicating that it is restarting.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 2,105
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64
       4 Weeks Ago #110

    Hi,
    All computers bios post beep it is a good thing
    The long beeps as you had are a clue memory is having a problem that has been said
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Solved Bios Update? in General Support
I was reading a PC magazine today and noticed it mentioned that a bios update was available for W10. My computer is running well right now. Is there any reason I should update bios? Thanks.
Bios Update in Drivers and Hardware
Product Name: HP Pavilion Slimline s5650uk Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit) i need a bios for h-ig41-uatx rev 1.1 by AMI. thanks. if you need more info please tell me.
Solved trying to update bios need help in Drivers and Hardware
I've been looking for a bios update for my pc but I cant find one that will work for windows 10 and to be honest I don't understand bios updating but heres the specs. any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Manufacturer: elitegroup...
Should i update my BIOS Drivers? in Drivers and Hardware
Should I update my BIOS Drivers? Actually, it takes a minute for the PC to boot... The boot time is extremely slow. That's why I'm thinking of updating my BIOS Drivers. Thanks :) Specs: Motherboard: MSI 880GMS - E41(FX) CPU: AMD FX-6300 GPU:...
Solved How do I update my BIOS? in Drivers and Hardware
Dear All, I am totally new to BIOS upgrading so please ignore if my question sounds too stupid. My current BIOS version is v1708- 24/10/2013. When I checked my mobo's support site, i found that there are at least 6 versions of the BIOS that got...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:10.
Find Us