Windows 10: Seagate Backup Plus USB drive - speed discrepency

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    30 Jul 2017 #1

    Seagate Backup Plus USB drive - speed discrepency


    Hello -
    I have this 1TB USB drive currently attached to my PC and it's working normally.

    By this I mean no errors and reasonable performance. It's USB 3 capable,
    but the motherboard is USB 2 only.

    The system is recent but modest, AMD FX 4300 paired with an ASRock 960GC-GS FX motherboard.

    If I copy big files from the internal HDD to the Seagate in Windows 10 I get about 27 MB p/s
    It took 30 seconds to copy an 800MB file.

    However, on the same PC, using a recent Linux ( Peppermint OS based on Ubuntu) I see speeds
    almost double @ 50-52 MB p/s and it took about 16 seconds to copy the same file

    That's a massive difference. According to this, the Linux is achieving speeds close the theoretical maximum:
    usb - Whats the maximum typical speed possible with a USB2.0 drive? - Super User

    If this is so, then I have to ask, why is it slow in Windows 10 ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    30 Jul 2017 #2

    A lot depends on how you copy ie explorer, CMD prompt and often anti virus can cause it as it will scan on read and write
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    30 Jul 2017 #3

    Samuria said: View Post
    A lot depends on how you copy ie explorer, CMD prompt and often anti virus can cause it as it will scan on read and write
    This was easy enough for me to test, first the CMD prompt, then the CMD prompt with Windows Defender
    realtime protection turned off. I have to report that it had no effect, still 30 seconds each time,
    +/- one second.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    30 Jul 2017 #4

    Linux is usually faster in both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0, in the same hardware. Also when the operations are performed from boot media. I think its mainly because of differences in the USB drivers used by Windows and Linux.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    30 Jul 2017 #5

    I'm willing to accept driver design and optimizations, etc,etc, but this much difference?
    Linux is almost twice as fast.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 4,475
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint
       30 Jul 2017 #6

    That ASRock board has 1 PCIe X1 slot that would allow doing what I did [for a different reason on my Win10]. I wanted more USB 3.0 ports so added an older Anker 4-port card, a quite inexpensive upgrade.
    Several choices at https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...rds=usb+3+card
    Last edited by Berton; 30 Jul 2017 at 16:30.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    30 Jul 2017 #7

    Berton said: View Post
    That ASRock board has 1 PCIe X1 slot that would allow doing what I did [for a different reason on my Win10]. I wanted more USB 3.0 ports so added an older Anker 4-port card, a quite inexpensive upgrade.
    Several choices at https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...rds=usb+3+card
    Thanks for the link to USB add-on cards, since the Seagate BUP slim is a USB 3 device,
    I would expect a significant performance gain.. This is something I can think about.

    But it doesn't really answer the question as to why Windows 10 utilization of the existing
    USB 2 ports is poor compared to Linux. Is this one of those "things" people have just gotten
    used to in Windows , nobody questions it anymore ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 4,475
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint
       30 Jul 2017 #8

    I see the difference between my Win10 and my Linux Mint 18.2 computer but it is not a great amount. Could be drivers but the age of the computer may also be involved, my Linux is an older Dell Inspiron 580 Desktop I was given and rehabbed a few years ago and my Win10 is an ASUS M52BC_M32BC I got new last November. According to WikiPedia [and other sources], USB 1.1 speed was 12Mbps, USB 2.0/HighSpeed was 'up to' 480Mbps, USB 3.0/SuperSpeed is 625Mbps. USB 3.0 - Wikipedia
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 4,473
    Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.5
       30 Jul 2017 #9

    That is because Fat32 uses a different block structure and the CRC is so out of date. You go to Linux and copy to a Ext4 formatted drive, you will see it go faster. If Fat32, you will still see it go faster, because Linus designed the kernel to be very efficient in CRC and copying in chunks of data that are going to depend on what little bit of cache there is on a hard drive.

    The other is that Windows dedicates to a foreground process when moving or copying files, where as Linux does it in the background with the Cron job being told that if something else is running or wanting to run and needs that bandwidth, it will change the data chunks to allow a higher priority process to come up front.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    31 Jul 2017 #10

    bro67 said: View Post
    That is because Fat32 uses a different block structure and the CRC is so out of date. You go to Linux and copy to a Ext4 formatted drive, you will see it go faster. If Fat32, you will still see it go faster, because Linus designed the kernel to be very efficient in CRC and copying in chunks of data that are going to depend on what little bit of cache there is on a hard drive.

    The other is that Windows dedicates to a foreground process when moving or copying files, where as Linux does it in the background with the Cron job being told that if something else is running or wanting to run and needs that bandwidth, it will change the data chunks to allow a higher priority process to come up front.
    OK I'll research further to see what else I can find. My drive is NTFS, 1TB external HDD not FAT32
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Related Threads
    seagate drive there but not there in Drivers and Hardware
    win 10 pro attached a seagate barracude st3200826as drive (200gb) with my external usb adaptor drive spins up and gives the new device beep but is not recognized as a drive just a usb device, this would be a fat32 drive, its used and has been...
    Hi, I am running Windows 10 Pro Build 1703, prior to my update I was using my external Seagate drive as my backup location, however since the update, backup is not finding the drive. The drive is working perfectly for all other tasks and is...
    I have two USB Seagate drives I use to hold my backups. When I plug one of them in (to a USB port on the computer), it/they are not always recognized. I have to plug and unplug the power and communications cords more than once before the drive is...
    Seagate sent me a free Backup Plus Portable Drive, but i cannot access it because it wants bitlocker password. This is a brand new computer and i don't have BitLocker even set up.... how the hell do i access this hard drive? Windows 10
    I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and post that It was working fine without any issues. I have two external drive connected to it. 1. 1 TB Iomega powered drive. - now RAW 2. 2TB seagate external drive. The 1tb drive suddenly became RAW and I...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40.
    Find Us