Windows 10: Can Partition Type be changed Solved

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 23
    Windows 10 Build 1607
       13 Jun 2017 #1

    Can Partition Type be changed


    I recently resized the WINRETOOLS partition in order to resolve VSS shadowing problems. Those problems went away however the partition type, which used to be "Recovery" is now shown as "Primary". The partition attribute also wasn't preserved but I used DiskPart - GPT to correct that. I am using Veritas System Recovery 2016 for backup and although I can include the resized partition in the full disk backup, it is not listed as required for full recovery. I wonder whether the type not being Recovery may be the reason and whether it is even important as far as performing successful recovery. In any event is there a way to change the partition type?
    Can Partition Type be changed Attached Files
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,885
    Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
       13 Jun 2017 #2

    Recovery is not a type, Primary is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG  
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    13 Jun 2017 #3

    The Hidden Recovery Partition is a partition created when using UEFI Bios. This partition should be set as a Primary partition. It is required in using the UEFI Bios. If you are cloning or imaging this disk, you would need to include it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 23
    Windows 10 Build 1607
    Thread Starter
       13 Jun 2017 #4

    AddRAM said: View Post
    Recovery is not a type, Primary is.
    Then how is it designated as a Recovery Partition and how does one so designate it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 6,441
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       13 Jun 2017 #5

    PoulsboMike said: View Post
    Then how is it designated as a Recovery Partition and how does one so designate it?
    The type of a partition is determined by its partition ID, and that can be changed using Diskpart. For MBR disks this is a hex byte, for UEFI it is a GUID.

    On MBR disks the partition ID for a ntfs primary partition is 07h and the ID for a recovery partition is 27h.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partit..._partition_IDs

    For a UEFI disk the recovery partition ID is the GUID de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_P...ion_type_GUIDs

    If you are feeling brave you can use Diskpart to set the partition ID, but it's a good way to 'brick' your system if you get it wrong!

    Microsoft TechNet said:
    The Diskpart Set ID command changes the partition type field for the partition with focus.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...(v=ws.11).aspx
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 6,441
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       13 Jun 2017 #6

    PoulsboMike said: View Post
    ...although I can include the resized partition in the full disk backup, it is not listed as required for full recovery. I wonder whether the type not being Recovery may be the reason and whether it is even important as far as performing successful recovery...
    Are you sure that this recovery partition is actually being used? You can find out by typing reagentc /info in an elevated command prompt. look for what it says for the ' Windows RE location'. Does this point to your recovery partition? I have seen it point to the hidden C:\Recovery folder instead.

    Next note the GUID it shows for 'Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier'. In the elevated command prompt now type bcdedit. The same GUID should appear as the 'recoverysequence' identifier under 'Windows Boot Loader'.

    As far as I can tell, all the above info is referred to by your disk backup to determine which partitions need to be backed up for a full recovery.

    The above commands just show you the information and are safe to use. I once had to edit mine to put it back to using the recovery partition instead of C:\Recovery (somehow it got switched when I was experimenting with booting to safe mode and the recovery partition stopped being included in the system images). Editing reagentc/bcdedit data is not for the faint-hearted - another good way to 'brick' your system!
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 23
    Windows 10 Build 1607
    Thread Starter
       13 Jun 2017 #7

    Bree said: View Post
    Are you sure that this recovery partition is actually being used? You can find out by typing reagentc /info in an elevated command prompt. look for what it says for the ' Windows RE location'. Does this point to your recovery partition? I have seen it point to the hidden C:\Recovery folder instead.

    Next note the GUID it shows for 'Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier'. In the elevated command prompt now type bcdedit. The same GUID should appear as the 'recoverysequence' identifier under 'Windows Boot Loader'.
    I executed the commands as suggested.

    reagentc /info shows Windows RE location: \ (blank)
    followed by Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 3bb76b1b-8c2b-11e2-be6a-9c2a7048d782

    bcdedit shows recoverysequence {3bb76b1b-8c2b-11e2-be6a-9c2a7048d782}
    Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 3bb76b1b-8c2b-11e2-be6a-9c2a7048d782
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 6,441
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       14 Jun 2017 #8

    PoulsboMike said: View Post
    I executed the commands as suggested.

    reagentc /info shows Windows RE location: \ (blank)
    followed by Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 3bb76b1b-8c2b-11e2-be6a-9c2a7048d782

    bcdedit shows recoverysequence {3bb76b1b-8c2b-11e2-be6a-9c2a7048d782}
    Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 3bb76b1b-8c2b-11e2-be6a-9c2a7048d782
    I'd like to see the full text from reagent /info and bcdedit. Can you attach it as a text file please.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  •    14 Jun 2017 #9

    Bree said: View Post
    I'd like to see the full text from reagent /info and bcdedit. Can you attach it as a text file please.
    You will also see to need a list of partitions from diskpart in order to determine which partition number to set as the recovery partition using the /setreimage option of reagentc.

    spunk said: View Post
    The Hidden Recovery Partition is a partition created when using UEFI Bios. This partition should be set as a Primary partition. It is required in using the UEFI Bios. If you are cloning or imaging this disk, you would need to include it.
    1. There is no such thing as a UEFI Bios. Either the computer has a legacy BIOS or it has UEFI. UEFI will sometimes implement a legacy BIOS booting mode that can be a setting in the UEFI.

    2. There is no UEFI requirement for a recovery partition. A UEFI computer will operate just fine if it is missing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 6,441
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       14 Jun 2017 #10

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    You will also see to need a list of partitions from diskpart in order to determine which partition number to set as the recovery partition using the /setreimage option of reagentc.
    Yes, fortunately that was in the .txt attachment in post #1
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Related Threads
    Greetings! This is my first problem post here on TenForums and it is a frustrating one. To make a long story short, I installed Windows 10 on my notebook, leaving a large amount of unallocated space available for a future Linux install. Windows...
    So lately i found this nifty lil Twitter app that comes with Windows 10 But when i click a tweet with a vine retweet or such it gives me an error saying "Unsupported Video Type Invalid File Type" Has anyone been using the twitter app lately and are...
    Hello everyone I would like to edit the file type descriptions of a number of file types on my computer. I mean the text that is written in the "File Type" column. For example, after installing Opera browser, all HTML and HTM files have the...
    Hi, I hope this can be reversed. I was using my machine normally when it suddenly went dead while using file explorer, no BSOD, just stopped, no cpu activity light, nothing responsive. I had to power off at the PSU and then re-start which it did....
    My Login screen used to have only my name on it and yesterday after clicking on "Verify" and going thru several screens and rebooting, I noticed that my name and Hotmail address are both on my Login screen and the Windows 10 password has been...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30.
    Find Us