Windows 10: Can Partition Type be changed Solved

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    14 Jun 2017 #11

    Bree said: View Post
    Yes, fortunately that was in the .txt attachment in post #1
    You are correct, my mistake! According to the txt attachment, partition 6 would be the Windows 10 Recovery Environment.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 8,536
    10 Home x64 (1803) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       14 Jun 2017 #12

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    .. According to the txt attachment, partition 6 would be the Windows 10 Recovery Environment.
    According to @PoulsboMike in post #1 it used to be partition 4, which apparently got its type changed after resizing it....

    PoulsboMike said: View Post
    I recently resized the WINRETOOLS partition ... however the partition type, which used to be "Recovery" is now shown as "Primary".
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 23
    Windows 10 Build 1607
    Thread Starter
       14 Jun 2017 #13

    Here are the results of the reagentc and bcdedit commands.

    >>I'd like to see the full text from reagent /info and bcdedit. Can you attach it as a text file please.
    Can Partition Type be changed Attached Files
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 8,536
    10 Home x64 (1803) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       14 Jun 2017 #14

    Thanks,

    It appears that only the path needs to be set. To use partition 4, type this in an elevated command prompt.

    Code:
    reagentc /setreimage /path \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recovery\WindowsRE

    You may wish to check first that your partition 4 does indeed contain the recovery environment. You are looking for the folder that contains Winre.wim. Mini Tools Partition Wizard can explore partitions that have no drive letter and/or are hidden.

    It probably isn't necessary to mark the partition as 'Recovery' for it to work, but if you wish the Diskpart Set ID command can be used.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 23
    Windows 10 Build 1607
    Thread Starter
       14 Jun 2017 #15

    Bree said: View Post
    You may wish to check first that your partition 4 does indeed contain the recovery environment. You are looking for the folder that contains Winre.wim. Mini Tools Partition Wizard can explore partitions that have no drive letter and/or are hidden.

    It probably isn't necessary to mark the partition as 'Recovery' for it to work, but if you wish the Diskpart Set ID command can be used.
    I'm still concerned that the note : "There is no volume associated with this partition." appeared in the partition 4 detail.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    14 Jun 2017 #16

    Here's some good information on GPT partitions:
    UEFI/GPT-based hard drive partitions | Microsoft Docs

    Partition 4 has no volume associated with it because it does not have a drive letter assigned. Normally, recovery partitions won't have drive letters assigned, and thus no volume associated with it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 23
    Windows 10 Build 1607
    Thread Starter
       14 Jun 2017 #17

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Here's some good information on GPT partitions:
    UEFI/GPT-based hard drive partitions | Microsoft Docs

    Partition 4 has no volume associated with it because it does not have a drive letter assigned. Normally, recovery partitions won't have drive letters assigned, and thus no volume associated with it.
    I got this info from my wife's Win 10 machine. I'm not sure what mine showed prior to resizing but assumed it was probably similar.

    Partition 4
    Type : de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac
    Hidden : Yes
    Required: Yes
    Attrib : 0X8000000000000001
    Offset in Bytes: 985471647744
    Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
    ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
    * Volume 3 WINRETOOLS NTFS Partition 450 MB Healthy Hidden
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    14 Jun 2017 #18

    Hmmm.... maybe I was mistaken twice in the same thread now.

    Further research - no volume associated with it indicates that there is no filesystem on the partition that can be read by Windows. I would go back to what @Bree suggested. Install MiniTool Partition Wizard and try to explore that partition from within MiniTool Partition Wizard and see if it can detect any files and folders there.

    A partition is only space set aside on a physical drive for a filesystem - it confines whatever filesystem gets put into that partition to the space set for the partition.

    When you format the partition, you create the filesystem in it.

    Once the OS recognizes that a filesystem is present, then it assigns a volume to it.

    Then, if desired, the OS will assign a drive letter to the volume to make it routinely accessible to the user.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 8,536
    10 Home x64 (1803) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       14 Jun 2017 #19

    PoulsboMike said: View Post
    I'm still concerned that the note : "There is no volume associated with this partition." appeared in the partition 4 detail.
    Hmm, it appears that resizing the partition did more damage than just changing its ID. What tool did you use?

    Before doing anything else, I'd make sure I had a full image of all partitions. I'm not sure what repair options are available for UEFI/GPT drives, all mine are MBR. Let's hope a GPT guru spots this thread.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 23
    Windows 10 Build 1607
    Thread Starter
       14 Jun 2017 #20

    Bree said: View Post
    Hmm, it appears that resizing the partition did more damage than just changing its ID. What tool did you use?

    Before doing anything else, I'd make sure I had a full image of all partitions. I'm not sure what repair options are available for UEFI/GPT drives, all mine are MBR. Let's hope a GPT guru spots this thread.
    I used EaseUS Partition Master 12.0
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Greetings! This is my first problem post here on TenForums and it is a frustrating one. To make a long story short, I installed Windows 10 on my notebook, leaving a large amount of unallocated space available for a future Linux install. Windows...
So lately i found this nifty lil Twitter app that comes with Windows 10 But when i click a tweet with a vine retweet or such it gives me an error saying "Unsupported Video Type Invalid File Type" Has anyone been using the twitter app lately and are...
Hello everyone I would like to edit the file type descriptions of a number of file types on my computer. I mean the text that is written in the "File Type" column. For example, after installing Opera browser, all HTML and HTM files have the...
Hi, I hope this can be reversed. I was using my machine normally when it suddenly went dead while using file explorer, no BSOD, just stopped, no cpu activity light, nothing responsive. I had to power off at the PSU and then re-start which it did....
My Login screen used to have only my name on it and yesterday after clicking on "Verify" and going thru several screens and rebooting, I noticed that my name and Hotmail address are both on my Login screen and the Windows 10 password has been...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01.
Find Us