"Safe to remove" pop-up does not appear.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Callender's Avatar
    Posts : 2,548
    Windows 10 Home 1903 64-bit
       #11

    It was worth a try. However there are a ton of possible reasons for the missing notification:

    USB Safe to remove Notification missing - Microsoft Community
      My Computer

  2. Geosammy's Avatar
    Posts : 668
    Win 10 1909 (OS Build 18363.836)
       #12

    Callender said:
    It was worth a try. However there are a ton of possible reasons for the missing notification:

    USB Safe to remove Notification missing - Microsoft Community
    @Callender

    Thanks again.

    I don't put much stock, or confidence in this communities info.
    Even so, with that said.
    I recently, (a few days ago). Went through all the proposed fixes,
    that this communities postings had to offer on this issue and none of them worked for me.

    With exception of the .bat file fix,
    which isn't really a fix.
    However, I'm not interested in running a .bat file, each time I need to safely remove a flash drive.

    There are also quite a few registry hack,
    which I'm also not interested in adding to my registry.

    Thanks nonetheless for your help.
    I appreciate it very much.
    I guess I'll just have to let this go for now.
    Last edited by Geosammy; 17 Nov 2018 at 14:54.
      My Computer

  3. Callender's Avatar
    Posts : 2,548
    Windows 10 Home 1903 64-bit
       #13

    Okay so here are a few ideas. Check that "Bluetooth Support Service" is running and set to autostart.

    Power off computer and then remove any external drives that are plugged in.

    Grab a copy of this. Download link is near the bottom of the page.

    View any installed/connected USB device on your system

    Run as admin (right click) and highlight then uninstall any non present devices that you can recognise as external drives that you have used in the past (use the right click menu)

    Use GhostBuster to remove any ghosted devices.

    Driver cleanup Solved - Windows 7 Help Forums

    Download GhostBuster - MajorGeeks

    Check USB scan settings in your antivirus and consider temporarily disabling USB drive scanning and on access file scanning (add exclusion to path of USB) just to test.

    Toggle quick removal settings a couple of times with a reboot after changing settings.

    See if any of that helps.
      My Computer

  4. Geosammy's Avatar
    Posts : 668
    Win 10 1909 (OS Build 18363.836)
       #14

    Callender said:
    Okay so here are a few ideas. Check that "Bluetooth Support Service" is running and set to autostart.

    Power off computer and then remove any external drives that are plugged in.

    Grab a copy of this. Download link is near the bottom of the page.

    View any installed/connected USB device on your system

    Run as admin (right click) and highlight then uninstall any non present devices that you can recognise as external drives that you have used in the past (use the right click menu)

    Use GhostBuster to remove any ghosted devices.

    Driver cleanup Solved - Windows 7 Help Forums

    Download GhostBuster - MajorGeeks

    Check USB scan settings in your antivirus and consider temporarily disabling USB drive scanning and on access file scanning (add exclusion to path of USB) just to test.

    Toggle quick removal settings a couple of times with a reboot after changing settings.

    See if any of that helps.
    1.) Set Bluetooth service to start automatically. (no Bluetooth devices in use)
    Rebooted system, no pop-up.

    2.) I uninstalled any non-present devices.
    Rebooted system and still no pop-up appeared.

    3.) Used GhostBuster to remove any detected ghosted devices.
    Rebooted system, no pop-up.

    4.) Could not find any scan settings, which include paths to USB. Nor could I set the paths as exclusions.

    I've done everything suggested, without result.

    I even tried the registry hack offered by the Microsoft Community and got nothing.
    Seems like I'll have to live with this, the way it is.
    Even though, I don't like not seeing the "safe to remove" pop-up.
      My Computer

  5. Callender's Avatar
    Posts : 2,548
    Windows 10 Home 1903 64-bit
       #15

    Well if nothing is working you can try this:

    USB Disk Ejector | Quick And Easy Software

    Note: When I said reboot I should have really said power off computer - remove devices - switch on computer. Wait a few minutes. Plug in external device.
      My Computer

  6. Geosammy's Avatar
    Posts : 668
    Win 10 1909 (OS Build 18363.836)
       #16

    Callender said:
    Well if nothing is working you can try this:

    USB Disk Ejector | Quick And Easy Software

    Note: When I said reboot I should have really said power off computer - remove devices - switch on computer. Wait a few minutes. Plug in external device.
    @Callender

    Thanks for all that you've suggested.
    You've done enough at this point.
    I'm going to keep things as they are for now.

    Perhaps I'll use the USB Disk Ejector,
    but I don't like having to use 3rd party software. To do something,
    that should be a default/native function of the OS.

    I can't figure out why this feature,
    would suddenly just disappear/not function.

    This issue and the toggle issue, in advanced update setting.
    Are the only issues I've had since the update to 1809,
    back on Oct 3rd.
    With the toggle issue being with me, for a very long while now.

    Thanks much for all the suggestions.


      My Computer



  7. Posts : 162
    Windows 10 Home
       #17

    In my case the message stops showing after the pc has been running for a week or so. This happens on 2 pc's. All settings are correct. A restart fixes the problem until the next time it happens. Both pc's are set to the default sleep mode after 20 minutes of non use.. Running version 1803. Never had this issue with Windows 7.
      My Computer

  8. Geosammy's Avatar
    Posts : 668
    Win 10 1909 (OS Build 18363.836)
       #18

    I found a solution, which worked for me.
    For the 'Safe to remove' pop-up issue and for notifications not showing,
    within Windows 10, Build 1809's Action Center.

    It goes like this:

    Step 1. Go to > Settings > Privacy

    Step 2. App Permissions > Background Apps.
    Toggle ‘Let apps run in the background’ switch to off.
    Restart computer. (action center not showing previously or new notifications)

    Step 3. Go back to the settings page, previously mentioned in step 1 and 2.
    Toggle the ‘Let apps run in the background’ switch to on,
    as described in Step 2.
    Restart once again.

    Action Center is now showing notifications.
    As well as the "Safe to remove" pop-up for flash drives without issues.

    "Safe to remove" pop-up does not appear.-screenshot-72-.png
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 162
    Windows 10 Home
       #19

    Geosammy said:
    I found a solution, which worked for me.
    For the 'Safe to remove' pop-up issue and for notifications not showing,
    within Windows 10, Build 1809's Action Center.

    It goes like this:

    Step 1. Go to > Settings > Privacy

    Step 2. App Permissions > Background Apps.
    Toggle ‘Let apps run in the background’ switch to off.
    Restart computer. (action center not showing previously or new notifications)

    Step 3. Go back to the settings page, previously mentioned in step 1 and 2.
    Toggle the ‘Let apps run in the background’ switch to on,
    as described in Step 2.
    Restart once again.

    Action Center is now showing notifications.
    As well as the "Safe to remove" pop-up for flash drives without issues.

    "Safe to remove" pop-up does not appear.-screenshot-72-.png
    George: Thanks for your info. Seemed to work (still have version 1803). Don't know yet if it will continue to work after a future restart. Thanks again.
    Mark
      My Computer

  10. Geosammy's Avatar
    Posts : 668
    Win 10 1909 (OS Build 18363.836)
       #20

    @Mcd73165
    Mcd73165 said:
    George: Thanks for your info. Seemed to work (still have version 1803). Don't know yet if it will continue to work after a future restart. Thanks again.
    Mark
    You're welcome.
    Ever since I made this setting change. It has continued working, without any issues.
      My Computer


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums