Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    16 Apr 2017 #11
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 611
    W10 Home 1703

    I'm even more curious about this:
    "i have to update the bios to the latest version, F21 something that I do not suggest because it gave me a lot of system instability".

    Was the F21 BIOS a Beta version?
    What was the system instability?

    It is unusual for a non-beta BIOS to cause instability and could possibly indicate a malfunction of some sort on the motherboard.
    It is also important when updating a BIOS to first reset the existing BIOS to default settings before starting the flash. Customized BIOS settings can mess with a BIOS upgrade installation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    16 Apr 2017 #12
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by TV2 View Post
    Sometimes the simplest solutions get overlooked.
    Have you tried going into Device Manager and uninstalling the USB 3.0 devices found under Universal Serial Bus controllers?
    When you restart the PC Windows will discover the devices and reinstall them.

    Don't forget to uninstall the xHCI Root Hubs, although they should go when you uninstall the USB 3.0 controllers.
    Well actually i just made a fresh install because i ended with a big mess. No, it did not solve the problem, even after a new install i have this USB 3.1 Port Unspecified. This only happens with the creator update, not with any other previous windows version. I have posted on gigabyte forum, there are other post with similar issues, it seems some kind of drivers problems and the last version of windows 10.



    Quote Originally Posted by TV2 View Post
    I'm even more curious about this:
    "i have to update the bios to the latest version, F21 something that I do not suggest because it gave me a lot of system instability".

    Was the F21 BIOS a Beta version?
    What was the system instability?

    It is unusual for a non-beta BIOS to cause instability and could possibly indicate a malfunction of some sort on the motherboard.
    It is also important when updating a BIOS to first reset the existing BIOS to default settings before starting the flash. Customized BIOS settings can mess with a BIOS upgrade installation.
    Hi,
    Yes i setted everything to default in the BIOS before i updated it. No, version F21 is not beta and it is required to install USB 3.1 drivers, but i dont know if i should use this version because they state after F20 version that you need this version for Support 7 generation CPU and F21, V core Voltage adjust, so i dont know if i can use those version of the BIOS or keep the F5 the last one they released for the 6 generation CPU.
    I was not able to access to the BIOS after restart with the BIOS F21, when i restarted the computer just a black screen showed up, it did not happen if i turn on the computer.
    I also had some BSOD with this text, {your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart}, The only way i was able to go into windows again was as safe mode with network connections it never happened with F5 Bios, and now that i downgrade to F5 Bios version everything is working properly except for the USB 3.1 Port Unspecified.

    Device manager shows this: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usb.PNG 
Views:	36 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	130446 and Aida shows this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aida.PNG 
Views:	35 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	130447

    Btw the physical USB port 3.1 is working properly at least if i insert a 3.0 or 2.0 usb stick there.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    16 Apr 2017 #13
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 6
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by TV2 View Post
    Sometimes the simplest solutions get overlooked.
    Have you tried going into Device Manager and uninstalling the USB 3.0 devices found under Universal Serial Bus controllers?
    When you restart the PC Windows will discover the devices and reinstall them.

    Don't forget to uninstall the xHCI Root Hubs, although they should go when you uninstall the USB 3.0 controllers.
    It didn't help
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    16 Apr 2017 #14
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 611
    W10 Home 1703

    Quote Originally Posted by devyeah View Post
    Well actually i just made a fresh install because i ended with a big mess. No, it did not solve the problem, even after a new install i have this USB 3.1 Port Unspecified. This only happens with the creator update, not with any other previous windows version. I have posted on gigabyte forum, there are other post with similar issues, it seems some kind of drivers problems and the last version of windows 10.
    You are probably right. I did not realize you had done a fresh installation. That is the nuclear option and eliminates a lot of possible problem/solutions.
    Most likely growing pains with Manufacturer drivers not keeping up with Windows builds, or Windows builds not being backward compatible with old drivers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    16 Apr 2017 #15
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 611
    W10 Home 1703

    Quote Originally Posted by devyeah View Post
    Hi,
    Yes i setted everything to default in the BIOS before i updated it. No, version F21 is not beta and it is required to install USB 3.1 drivers, but i dont know if i should use this version because they state after F20 version that you need this version for Support 7 generation CPU and F21, V core Voltage adjust, so i dont know if i can use those version of the BIOS or keep the F5 the last one they released for the 6 generation CPU.
    I was not able to access to the BIOS after restart with the BIOS F21, when i restarted the computer just a black screen showed up, it did not happen if i turn on the computer.
    I also had some BSOD with this text, {your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart}, The only way i was able to go into windows again was as safe mode with network connections it never happened with F5 Bios, and now that i downgrade to F5 Bios version everything is working properly except for the USB 3.1 Port Unspecified.
    Btw the physical USB port 3.1 is working properly at least if i insert a 3.0 or 2.0 usb stick there.
    Have you considered trying the F20 BIOS?

    The statement: "version F21 it is required to install USB 3.1 drivers" sounds like the solution here. The question then becomes why the F21 BIOS version wont work.

    BIOS upgrades add new features and functionality. They don't list all of the changes made in each version on the download page, just the "most relevant" ones. So it doesn't matter, in most cases, that you don't need the featured upgrades, there are often others and bug fixes that you can use. In general it is always best practice to run the most recent BIOS made for your motherboard, but there are exceptions.

    It sounds like you ran a BIOS update from within Windows. While this method has greatly improved over the years it can still be problematic in some cases.
    Do you know if there is an option to flash the BIOS from within the BIOS?

    Your USB 3.1 ports are probably running in USB 2.0 mode. Maybe 3.0
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    16 Apr 2017 #16
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 611
    W10 Home 1703

    It is always helpful if we know what hardware you are working with. If you fill out your system specs then we could see that info.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    16 Apr 2017 #17
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 611
    W10 Home 1703
    Last edited by TV2; 17 Apr 2017 at 06:01. Reason: More Info
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    18 Apr 2017 #18
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 6
    10

    This is a solution but didn't work for me, You can test it anyway:
    Fix USB 3.0 HUB not working in Windows 10 Creators Update | Microsoft Surface tablet
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    18 Apr 2017 #19
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    USA
    Posts : 1,571
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by devyeah View Post
    Well actually i just made a fresh install because i ended with a big mess.

    Had something of a similar issue as posted in the Gigabyte forums at overclock.net. However mine didn't arise until after I updated my BIOS to F21, before the Creator update!

    That said, if the board supports Thunderbolt, make sure you install both driver and firmware update. And as many have said both chipset drivers and SATA drivers. Once this is done, reboot, than after that, if the issue is still there... completely power off the machine, to include removing the power cord! Wait about 30 seconds, power back on and see what happens.

    Let us know.

    And yeah, for some odd reason the F21 BIOS causes some weird issues with the some USB ports. Gigabyte is clueless here, and claim they know nothing about the issue. I know because I called them on this. They promised to get back to me on it but they never did. That was 3 weeks ago. Anyway have a look at my post for clarity. And let me know if this helps.

    Peace
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    18 Apr 2017 #20
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    USA
    Posts : 1,571
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by TV2 View Post
    Was the F21 BIOS a Beta version?
    The F21 BIOS is not beta.

    And yeah, it is unusual for a "stable" BIOS to cause issues, but somehow Gigabyte managed to accomplish this, at least on some machines. The big issue is that F20 and up BIOS's completely changes the look and features of the old BIOS since it's main purpose is to add Kaby lake support to their (gigabyte) Z170 boards. That said, you are warned that updating to these BIOS won't let you "downgrade" to your previous one.

    Prior to the F20's, most all of Gigabyte's Z170 boards had sub 8 BIOS's. That is most of the BIOS's were in the F7ish range. Prior to updating my Z170X Gaming GT board I had an F7c Bios. After these, Gigabyte jumped to the 20's where they added support for Kaby Lake processors to most their Z170 boards.

    The first Kaby BIOS's had over-volting issues with Sky Lake processors. The fix was the F21/F22 BIOS (some boards have an F22 BIOS) which "adjusts" the V-Core voltages. Current BIOS for the OP's and my board is F21.

    Anyway, I too had weird issues when I upgraded to the F21 BIOS such at that of the OP's issue as well as a TPM module issue. The TPM issue seems have sorted itself out so.

    That said, I've been updating BIOS's since I got into PC's, always opting for the latest one, and this is the first BIOS I've ever had issues with in my 20 years of PC building.

    At any rate all this is just FYI.

    Peace
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows Update with Metered connection fails: Creators Update 15063.0
It's dejá vu all over again. :doh: The correct behaviour of windows update over a metered connection is to offer the choice to download, or wait until on a non-metered connection. 128460 The initial build of the Anniversary Update broke...
Windows Updates and Activation
Windows 10 Creators Update and Creators Update SDK are Released
Source: Windows 10 Creators Update and Creators Update SDK are Released - Building Apps for WindowsBuilding Apps for Windows :arrow: Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703 (build 15063) now available from Windows 10 Update Assistant. ...
Windows 10 News
Visual Studio 2017 Update Preview and Windows 10 Creators Update SDK
Source: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2017/03/16/visual-studio-2017-update-preview-and-windows-10-creators-update-sdk/
Windows 10 News
Solved iPhone shown as Unspecified in Devices and Printers
I have a problem with my iPhone 5s/iOS 9.2.1 in Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 10586.71, as shown in the pictures: Although everything works OK, i.e. • iTunes v.12.3.2.35 recognizes it, backs it up and syncs it • I can see its content from Windows...
Drivers and Hardware
Windows 10 Anniversary Update Lock Screen Personal Pictures Not Shown
The personal picture in the circle or a local picture selected for the lock screen does not show up after the anniversary update. This only happens if the no-password option has been set. If you log out then the selected pictures are shown when you...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums