Windows 10: Missing Hard drive after installing Win 10 Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    12 Jul 2015 #1

    Missing Hard drive after installing Win 10


    Hi,
    So my buddy installed Windows 10 and now one of his hard drives simply will not show up.

    It's listed in device manager but not in explorer. He had Vista installed and made a clean install of 10.

    Any clues how he should go about getting the drive to show up without having to format it or do something that will lose the data on it as he backed up his whole computer to that drive before installing W10 on his primary HDD.

    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 8,298
    Windows 10 Professional
       12 Jul 2015 #2

    Traijan said: View Post
    Hi,
    So my buddy installed Windows 10 and now one of his hard drives simply will not show up.

    It's listed in device manager but not in explorer. He had Vista installed and made a clean install of 10.

    Any clues how he should go about getting the drive to show up without having to format it or do something that will lose the data on it as he backed up his whole computer to that drive before installing W10 on his primary HDD.

    Thanks
    Try a restart first.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    12 Jul 2015 #3

    Yup, he's restarted a couple times now
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 8,298
    Windows 10 Professional
       12 Jul 2015 #4

    Traijan said: View Post
    Yup, he's restarted a couple times now
    Does it show up in Disk Management?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    12 Jul 2015 #5

    Yes it's showing up in disk management
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 8,298
    Windows 10 Professional
       12 Jul 2015 #6

    Traijan said: View Post
    Yes it's showing up in disk management
    Make sure you've got all updates run with none pending and reboot again.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    12 Jul 2015 #7

    Okay, all updates done and rebooted. Still shows up in disk management and in device manager but not anywhere else that would make it usable.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 8,298
    Windows 10 Professional
       12 Jul 2015 #8

    Traijan said: View Post
    Okay, all updates done and rebooted. Still shows up in disk management and in device manager but not anywhere else that would make it usable.
    Can you open the drive from within Disk Management?
    Does the drive have a letter assigned to it?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    12 Jul 2015 #9

    No, in disk management it does not have a letter assigned to the drive.

    He can right click it and see the properties that show used space and space available.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 8,298
    Windows 10 Professional
       12 Jul 2015 #10

    Traijan said: View Post
    No, in disk management it does not have a letter assigned to the drive.

    He can right click it and see the properties that show used space and space available.
    Ah! Give it a letter then it'll show up in Explorer!
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
External Hard Drive Issue. in Drivers and Hardware
Hi, I have version 10130 which I installed as an ISO file via my dvd drive,this was after Windows update failed on several occassions to upgrade it from 10074. The problem that I have is that my Seagate 750gb External Hard Drive is not accessible...
Hi... hope this is proper place for my (in future) questions: I've 2 laptops; Toshiba came with Win8... not upgraded to Win8.1; then a Samsung, came with Win 8, upgraded to Win8.1. Neither came with Restore DVDs nor any way to burn them. ...
Solved IDE Hard Drive Slow PC Overall? in Drivers and Hardware
Hello. I had found an older 250 GB 7200RPM IDE HDD Just laying around. Since i had installed it i noticed extended boot/load times (Sitting At Black Screen With Cursor For About Two Minutes Before Having The Ability To Sign In) and i also have to...
Solved partitioning hard drive in General Support
hi all this is a question about GPT UEFI and LEGACY partitions if I install in legacy mode on a 1 TB drive with no partitions will my laptop run ok I dont understand why GPT gives 4 partitions and I dont understand UEFI please explain all 3 options....
What is the Best Hard Drive? in Windows 10 News
Read more: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17.
Find Us