Windows 10: SSD wiped itself

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

  1. Posts : 13,312
    Windows 10 Pro
       31 Mar 2017 #41

    Meaning that EFI partition shouldn't be available, it also shouldn't be assigned a letter.
    Did you or anyone else assign a letter to this partition?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    31 Mar 2017 #42

    axe0 said: View Post
    Meaning that EFI partition shouldn't be available, it also shouldn't be assigned a letter.
    Did you or anyone else assign a letter to this partition?
    Nope, this all happened aftet auto shut down. I have it set up to Shutdown before my internet free Zone ends.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    31 Mar 2017 #43

    axe0 said: View Post
    Meaning that EFI partition shouldn't be available, it also shouldn't be assigned a letter.
    Did you or anyone else assign a letter to this partition?
    In your opinion, what would happen if the disk was originally GPT and was converted to MBR?
    Would that explain what we are seeing here:
    SSD wiped itself - Page 3 - - Windows 10 Forums

    This is a fairly new, recent laptop (Gen 7 processor) so I'd bet money it was originally GPT when he got it.

    What do you think would happen if he converted back to GPT?
    Do you think Startup Repair would work then?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 13,312
    Windows 10 Pro
       31 Mar 2017 #44

    Converting from GPT to MBR is possible without too much issue (except for risk of data loss), but I don't know what could happen when attempting to convert with this kind of partitioning.

    Startup repair won't work, because the partitioning is messed up. It doesn't know what to repair. Conversion probably won't help.

    Likely is no partition marked as active, or not the right one, what makes that the OS doesn't know what to do from the beginning to start the boot process after the BIOS.

    The easiest solution would be to backup anything that you wouldn't want to loose, then wipe the drive completely from installation media and install Windows after wiping the drive. Of course, make sure that you're booting UEFI.

    IMHO, I don't think it would be worth it to go through all the trouble attempting to recover the system to a proper bootable partitioning (except if a partitioning guru provides assistance). The risk of something going wrong while trying to recover is quite high.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    31 Mar 2017 #45

    I agree with Axe0. There is too much weirdness going on to justify the time trying to sort it all out.

    Suggest you backup all your user files and clean install Windows 10 in UEFI mode.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    31 Mar 2017 #46

    @axeo @TV2 @simrick
    Thank you all for the help, in the process of making a BU of all my stuff, just to do a clean slate. Question, since I am backing up the entire C: drive instead of picking out all my stuff, could I use that external drive to "find" all my drivers again?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 13,312
    Windows 10 Pro
       31 Mar 2017 #47

    @axe0
    Replace o with 0 (zero)

    It would be easier to reinstall your drivers too, finding them would be a lot of work.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  •    31 Mar 2017 #48

    axe0 said: View Post
    Replace o with 0 (zero)

    It would be easier to reinstall your drivers too, finding them would be a lot of work.
    Sorry lol. Ok, wasn't sure if I selected "locate drivers" if it would work. This laptop is from Dubai, so I always have to make sure I go to ASUS global site
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 13,312
    Windows 10 Pro
       31 Mar 2017 #49

    It's no bother, it's just that one mentions an inactive user when using the o

    It could work, but it would be a lot of work to search for the right files and to verify that you indeed have the right onces.
    Searching in the drivers folder in system32 for 'company:microsoft' there are 334 .sys files by Microsoft on my system, less than a 100 by hardware/software. However, you also need any other file that is being used by the devices shown in device manager. An example, NVIDIA drivers, using over 50+ other files (dll's, executables, bins) located at different places.
    Device drivers (both software and hardware) aren't just .sys files, it is a package of files.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  •    31 Mar 2017 #50

    axe0 said: View Post
    It's no bother, it's just that one mentions an inactive user when using the o

    It could work, but it would be a lot of work to search for the right files and to verify that you indeed have the right onces.
    Searching in the drivers folder in system32 for 'company:microsoft' there are 334 .sys files by Microsoft on my system, less than a 100 by hardware/software. However, you also need any other file that is being used by the devices shown in device manager. An example, NVIDIA drivers, using over 50+ other files (dll's, executables, bins) located at different places.
    Device drivers (both software and hardware) aren't just .sys files, it is a package of files.
    Ah OK. We'll looks like staying up late downloading drivers it is.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

    Related Threads
    Profile gets wiped out in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Hello, I have seen this happen twice to two different users. They have laptops that they use to work remotely, which we have joined to our domain, but they log in with a local account. The laptops are Windows 10 version 1607 64-bit. What...
    My friend has an AIO desktop computer that came with Win 8 and updated to 8.1 and finally Windows 10. She had many problems with Windows 10 and her daughter wiped the hard drive clean and the computer has been sitting there doing nothing since Dec...
    Outlook wiped out after each windows update in Windows Updates and Activation
    Every time my system updates, It kills my outlook. sometimes it kills more than that and wipes out everything but most of the time it is outlook. I do a system restore, but one time that didn't work. I don't want to stop updates, but don't...
    Hey gang, I installed Windows 10 a couple of days ago and really like it so far. I have been trying out the new MS Edge browser. I noticed up towards the top in Top Sites it would populate with websites I visit frequently. Kind of like it did in...
    Hi, I'm installing win 10 and I'd like a fresh install but I'm a little worried that the install might wipe the data I have shifted to my empty D: partition. I know this shouldn't really happen but just want to double check with you guys thx U.
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09.
    Find Us