Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    26 Mar 2017 #1
    Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 60
    Win 10 PRO 64 Bit

    How to put 2 partitions on an external hard drive.


    My son would like to create a dual boot operating system. We understand (at least we think) that we need to create 2 partitions on a single drive and install one operating system on each. Hopefully that will give him a dual boot menu when he starts up ?

    Our problem so far has been attaching his hard drive externally to my desktop and trying to get the 2 partitions.
    We are stuck at this point. Here is a photo of what his drive looks like right now.

    Any help would be appreciated.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot-(16)A.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	126841
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    26 Mar 2017 #2
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 5,649
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro Build 15063

    Do you and your son share the same computer?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    26 Mar 2017 #3
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 28,929
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by smalltown View Post
    My son would like to create a dual boot operating system. We understand (at least we think) that we need to create 2 partitions on a single drive and install one operating system on each. Hopefully that will give him a dual boot menu when he starts up ?

    Our problem so far has been attaching his hard drive externally to my desktop and trying to get the 2 partitions.
    We are stuck at this point. Here is a photo of what his drive looks like right now.

    Any help would be appreciated.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot-(16)A.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	126841
    You would be much better off splitting that large 232GB partition on the main drive. An OS partition can run very nicely on 64GB, but you can make it larger. That way the dual boot menu would be easier to manage. Here is a tutorial here on Tenforums. It is written for dual booting 10 & 7, but the concepts are the same. You would simply shrink the existing "C" partition to around 64GB or 96GB (plenty of room), create a new 64GB or 96GB partition for the install of the second OS. That (the new partition) would be the one you would choose when installing the second OS. Take a look and see if the tutorial gives you what you are looking for.

    TC

    Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    26 Mar 2017 #4
    Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 60
    Win 10 PRO 64 Bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Josey Wales View Post
    Do you and your son share the same computer?
    Josey no I am just helping out by connecting his drive externally to mine.
    Tomcat thanks for the link we will try that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    26 Mar 2017 #5
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 5,649
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro Build 15063

    Quote Originally Posted by smalltown View Post
    Josey no I am just helping out by connecting his drive externally to mine.
    Tomcat thanks for the link we will try that.
    Good it will work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    26 Mar 2017 #6
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Crewe Cheshire
    Posts : 1,450
    windows 10

    It may not be that simple what o/s are you going to use and is it a uefi motherboard its better to install the oldest o/s delete all partitions and let windows create new one. Then shrink c: and install the second o/s windows will want a a small system parition and a c drive if its uefi it will lneed a parition as well and you may set the drive as gpt or mbr.
    Its often simpler and safer to install one windows then run th eother as a virtual pc with free Downloads – Oracle VM VirtualBox with that you dont have to mess with paritions
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    27 Mar 2017 #7
    Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 60
    Win 10 PRO 64 Bit
    Thread Starter

    Samuria no uefi just a regular Bios. Per tomcats suggestion we did shrink the first partition to 96GB. The second partition also has 96GB. Just called him, and he has successfully installed both operating systems (win 10 and Win 7) , and his laptop is booting to the "dual boot" menu. He is just finishing getting a few drivers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    27 Mar 2017 #8
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 28,929
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by smalltown View Post
    Samuria no uefi just a regular Bios. Per tomcats suggestion we did shrink the first partition to 96GB. The second partition also has 96GB. Just called him, and he has successfully installed both operating systems (win 10 and Win 7) , and his laptop is booting to the "dual boot" menu. He is just finishing getting a few drivers.
    Excellent! Please post back when all done, would love to hear how it all went.

    Good job!

    TC
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    27 Mar 2017 #9
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,472
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

    All sorted by the looks of it, but for others reading this thread - MiniTools Partition Wizard is available as a bootable CD so you could have done it without removing the drive.
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/comp...otable-cd.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    27 Mar 2017 #10
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 28,929
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bree View Post
    All sorted by the looks of it, but for others reading this thread - MiniTools Partition Wizard is available as a bootable CD so you could have done it without removing the drive.
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/comp...otable-cd.html
    Thanks, Bree. Further info. Bootable is paid version only.....



    Bootable Partition Manager| MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable Edition

      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Combine Hard Drive Partitions
I am trying to combine my C: with D:. There are 3 other partitions on the drive and I'm not sure which partitions it is safe to delete or combine. 1st Partition: 1.36 GB Healthy (Recovery Partition) 2nd Partition: 518 MB Healthy (EFI System...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Hard Drive seems corrupt. 1 Partition now showing as 3 Partitions?
Hello Short story. Western Digital Elements Drive 3TB use for back up and today wouldn't power. Swapped all cables no luck. Removed hard drive from Caddy housing and mounted in rig direct to motherboard. The hard drive is readable but appears...
Drivers and Hardware
Pen Drive and external hard drive keep getting errors!
Pen Drive and external hard drive keep getting errors! So I select to fix the problem scandrive recommended scan and repair. But there's never anything wrong with them it reports! And it takes ages to scan it takes 10-15 minutes for 32GB pen drive....
Drivers and Hardware
Windows Partitions on Hard Drive
Can someone tell me what partitions I should have on my hard drive after I upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows Home Premium Build 10586. I have some new small partitions and I don't know if they belong to the OS or they got allocated from another...
Drivers and Hardware
External 1TB hard drive(Iomega - seagate inside) RAW drive - HELP
I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and post that It was working fine without any issues. I have two external drive connected to it. 1. 1 TB Iomega powered drive. - now RAW 2. 2TB seagate external drive. The 1tb drive suddenly became RAW and I...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:00.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums