Missing SSD Space... Can Anyone Assit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 117
    Windows
       #1

    Missing SSD Space... Can Anyone Assit?


    So, I had to run system restore last night due to some corruptions with my modern apps. Once the restore completed, everything was back to normal. Today, however, I noticed that ThisPC shows my partition as 150gb free of 312gb, whereas before the restore it was 177gb free. I have run TreeSize and SpaceSniffer, both of which show my usage as 134gb (leaving 178gb free). I believe that I am not actually missing any space, so this begs the question... how on earth can I "reset" or forcefully refresh the disk usage meter for ThisPC??

    (just to get this out there, I've tried disk cleanup, deleted all system restore points, disabled hibernate, ran chkdsk /r, ran sfc /scannow, manually browsed systemvolumeinformation folder)

    Missing SSD Space... Can Anyone Assit?-screenshot-91-.png
    Last edited by dacrone; 23 Mar 2017 at 23:07.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 117
    Windows
    Thread Starter
       #2

    *Update - So if I run WinDirStat and SpaceSniffer both as admin, they both allow me to show "unknown" or "unaccessible" space. SpaceSniffer shows 28.6gb of "unaccessible space" and WinDirStat shows 31.6gb of "unknown space". anyone know how I can recover this space? It is definitely the difference that is missing...
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 353
    Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
       #3

    Try Wiztree, i use the portable version.
    Antibody Software - WizTree finds the files and folders using the most disk space on your hard drive
    It can often show files that other programs can't display.
    If that doesn't help, i would use a bootable Linux disc to see what it shows.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 7,257
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #4

    You could try running cleanmgr.exe and see if it comes up with anything.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 117
    Windows
    Thread Starter
       #5

    DavidE said:
    Try Wiztree, i use the portable version.
    Antibody Software - WizTree finds the files and folders using the most disk space on your hard drive
    It can often show files that other programs can't display.
    If that doesn't help, i would use a bootable Linux disc to see what it shows.
    Thank you for your input. WizTree Results were as follows:
    Missing SSD Space... Can Anyone Assit?-wiztree-results.png

    So.... now that I know the data resides in C:\$Extra, how can I go about deleting it without harming anything in the process? Any input is greatly appreciated, just as before.

    *swarfega, yes I have run cleanmgr (disk cleanup) multiple times, but to no avail. Thanks for the suggestion though.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 24,619
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #6

    dacrone said:
    So.... now that I know the data resides in C:\$Extra, how can I go about deleting it without harming anything in the process?
    C:\$Extend actually, from your screenshot. This as an NTFS metafile. The $RmMetadata subfolder folder is apparently used by the Transactional Resource Manager. You can find out more about it in a command prompt with:

    fsutil resource info C:\

    And you've now reached the limits of my knowledge. There's very little info to be found on the web. This thread may give you some pointers...
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...onsprogramming

    I guess FSUTIL may be what you need to manage it, but that is not something I know enough about to advise on...
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/...ommands/fsutil
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 117
    Windows
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Haha, yes it is $Extend. Sorry about that typo. I was in a bit of a rush earlier. That is some good information that you've found. Thank you for your time & efforts. I will most likely just have to wipe/reinstall to get it back without causing any damage to anything else... The joys of Windows!
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 117
    Windows
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Bree said:
    C:\$Extend actually, from your screenshot. This as an NTFS metafile. The $RmMetadata subfolder folder is apparently used by the Transactional Resource Manager. You can find out more about it in a command prompt with:

    fsutil resource info C:\

    And you've now reached the limits of my knowledge. There's very little info to be found on the web. This thread may give you some pointers...
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...onsprogramming

    I guess FSUTIL may be what you need to manage it, but that is not something I know enough about to advise on...
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/...ommands/fsutil
    Bree, you have saved me soooo much headache!! 10 years I've been using Windows OS and have never seen this issue before. The first link you provided had a command to clean the files, and IT WORKED! Once you run the second command on that forum response, it says to restart. I restarted and it took about 30 minutes to go from the splash screen to the desktop, but now all 28 missing GB are back AND 3 GB that I had been missing for a few months (I chalked it up to updates, etc.). For anyone in the future, this is some sort of "log" that is written during use of certain OS functional applications. As Bree mentioned, there is not much about it floating around on the net, but this fix seems to resolve it fully!
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 24,619
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #9

    So glad I could help. It's always much safer to work with the OS commands, however obscure, than to hack away blindly. :)

    dacrone said:
    ... 3 GB that I had been missing for a few months (I chalked it up to updates, etc)
    @dacrone, there's a command that can potentially reclaim a few more GB from the updates store, but using it removes the ability to remove any previously installed updates.

    Using the /ResetBase switch with the /StartComponentCleanup parameter of DISM.exe on a running version of Windows 10 removes all superseded versions of every component in the component store.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/win...-winsxs-folder
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 117
    Windows
    Thread Starter
       #10

    Very true! I make weekly backups on Saturday mornings (full clone of my ssd to another) and I was a little distraught that I was going to have to go back to last Saturday! I have tweaked Cortana quite a lot since then haha. Windows 10 is alright as long as you make the right mods, otherwise Cortana is all but useless imho... Nevertheless, have a great night!
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:41.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums