Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1.    20 Mar 2017 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 40
    Windows 10

    Trying to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB - won't boot at 16GB


    Gateway DX 4840
    Intel i3 540 @ 3.07GHz
    BIOS version P01-A0 03/19/2010
    Chipset Intel H57
    Memory originally 8 GB (4 x 2GB) dual-channel 1333 MHz DDR3 (double sided) CL9
    Specs say "Upgradeable to 16GB using four DIMM modules)

    Tried to upgrade to Kingston ValueRAM 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) 1333 MHz DDR3 CL9 DIMM SR x8 STD
    (previously tried 4 Patriot sticks at 1600 MHz - wouldn't boot in any combination)

    Computer beeps once but won't boot.

    Tried new RAM in all 4 slots - won't boot.
    Tried original 2 GB in first two slots with new 4 GB in last two slots - won't boot.
    Replaced original 4 x 2GB ram (all four slots) - boots just fine.

    Any idea what the problem is or what I can do?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    20 Mar 2017 #2
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,848
    W10Prox64

    Hi.
    Just a thought - the new RAM isn't ECC is it? because you'd want non-ECC (unless it's a server).
    Have you checked for any BIOS/Chipset revs for your system? Other than that, I can't imagine what the problem is. It shouldn't be that difficult.

    EDIT: You could try clearing the CMOS, see if that helps.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    20 Mar 2017 #3
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 40
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    Just a thought - the new RAM isn't ECC is it? because you'd want non-ECC (unless it's a server).
    I don't know. It doesn't say anything about ECC or non-ECC anywhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    Have you checked for any BIOS/Chipset revs for your system? Other than that, I can't imagine what the problem is. It shouldn't be that difficult.
    I've been trying to find that information. I have to admit I'm a bit nervous about BIOS upgrades.

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    EDIT: You could try clearing the CMOS, see if that helps.
    How would I do that?

    Or as Homer Simpson would say, "Can you dumb it down a bit, Doc?"
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    20 Mar 2017 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,416
    Windows 10 Pro

    The current BIOS for your system on Gateway's website is P01-A3 and you are on P01-A0.

    Clearing the CMOS settings would clear out the specs for the old memory and force it to scan the new memory.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    20 Mar 2017 #5
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,848
    W10Prox64

    How to Clear Your Computer’s CMOS to Reset BIOS Settings

    Scroll down to "Reseat the CMOS battery".
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    20 Mar 2017 #6
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,416
    Windows 10 Pro

    Did you get 1.5 volt memory?

    DX4840 Series Memory Upgrade - Gateway DX4840 Series Computer Memory

    4096MB-1333MHz DDR3-1333 PC3-10600, 240p DIMM, 1.5v
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    20 Mar 2017 #7
    Join Date : May 2014
    Cross Plains, WI
    Posts : 318
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The current BIOS for your system on Gateway's website is P01-A3 and you are on P01-A0.

    Clearing the CMOS settings would clear out the specs for the old memory and force it to scan the new memory.
    Id say that this is most likely the issue. Upgrading the BIOS would likely fix your issue. Ive seen older BIOSs cause some really odd issues. Upgrading the BIOS on newer systems is usually pretty simple. Go to the support website for your specific model and download the newest BIOS and update it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    20 Mar 2017 #8
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 40
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The current BIOS for your system on Gateway's website is P01-A3 and you are on P01-A0.

    Clearing the CMOS settings would clear out the specs for the old memory and force it to scan the new memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    How to Clear Your Computerís CMOS to Reset BIOS Settings

    Scroll down to "Reseat the CMOS battery".
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Did you get 1.5 volt memory?

    DX4840 Series Memory Upgrade - Gateway DX4840 Series Computer Memory

    4096MB-1333MHz DDR3-1333 PC3-10600, 240p DIMM, 1.5v
    I don't know. I don't believe voltage was specified.

    Quote Originally Posted by ArazelEternal View Post
    Id say that this is most likely the issue. Upgrading the BIOS would likely fix your issue. Ive seen older BIOSs cause some really odd issues. Upgrading the BIOS on newer systems is usually pretty simple. Go to the support website for your specific model and download the newest BIOS and update it.
    Thanks everyone. I'll try these suggestions and get back here with the reesults.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    20 Mar 2017 #9
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 40
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    What are the chances I'll make my computer unbootable with a BIOS upgrade?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    20 Mar 2017 #10
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 3,927
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint

    Quote Originally Posted by djbaxter View Post
    What are the chances I'll make my computer unbootable with a BIOS upgrade?
    Depends, biggest problem in my experience has been with power failures mid-stream so I do it only with the computer plugged into a UPS/Uninterruptible Power Supply.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
How to install Windows 10 on a Win8 Bing Edition 16gb flash tablet
Hello,I have a 2nd tablet I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10, it was a really cheap one for 70Euros it is a Odys Wintab 8 with Windows 8.1 Bind Edition and it just has a 16gb flash storage.The problem is, that I just have about 2GB of free storage on...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved Windows 10 6.6gb memory usable out of 16gb memory.
I've noticed my memory is sky rocketing up to the 90%s when gaming or idle. I checked my specs and have realized only 6.6gb is usable. I was wondering if anyone had a fix to this? Thanks. 76436
Performance & Maintenance
Windows 10 upgrade now won't boot
I had the Windows 8.1 on my Acer Aspire V5. I upgraded to Windows 10 which seemed to go fine, but then when it went off it will not go back on to the Windows screen. I keep seeing people tell others to go here and there to fix it, but I can't even...
Windows Updates and Activation
What is my upgrade path from dual boot back to single boot
My laptop has dual boot - Windows 7 and Windows 10. My Win7 environment is my main working environment with lots of programs installed and important files. I installed the Win10 environnment just to play around with 10 during the technical...
Installation and Upgrade
BSOD with 16Gb ram but not with 8Gb different codes
Hello ! Sorry for my english, i'm french. I post here because i think this is the only forum can help me... My situation : I have a configuration with 16Gb of RAM but I have some BSOD with 16Gb when i play games or when i watch videos on netflix...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:39.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums