Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    06 Mar 2017 #1
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    A Toasty Oven
    Posts : 16
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Ryzen 1700 OS issues


    I have just bought Ryzen 1700. There are issues apparently. Like Balanced profile doesn't really go well with the new features that the processor has...or doesn't utilize them properly. AMD suggested Performance power profile. Also there are problems with HPET? Performance profile nudges up the temps. I'm using it, but this is obviously a temporary fix, isn't it? I have no idea about the HPET...I won't touch the BIOS, there is an OS option, but I dont know about that. Good or bad. Anybody here thinking about these issues - opinions, suggestions?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    06 Mar 2017 #2

    As you are on a desktop, you should not be using balanced profile but high performance which will make maximum use of your CPU.

    I have seen some Youtube reviewers mention this problem with the balance profile.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    06 Mar 2017 #3
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Posts : 108
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Yeah, why aren't you using a High Performance power setting on a desktop pc?. Balanced power plan and the lower power plan are both for laptops/ultrabooks/tablets to save battery power so the battery takes longer to need charging.
    Neither are for desktop pc's which need constant electricity to work.
    As mentioned above watch some YouTube videos on your Ryzen 1700 cpu, especially so if you play games a lot on your pc.

    Also, check your motherboard manufacturer's website for any UEFI & driver updates, too.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    06 Mar 2017 #4
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    A Toasty Oven
    Posts : 16
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Thread Starter

    Yes, I changed to High performance profile. (Used to have Balanced to manage the temps, you know cool'n'quiet and whatnot because India is an oven in the summer). Still think windows isn't using the new cpu properly. Am on the lookout for new drivers. The HPET stuff I don't know. Nowadays is BIOS upgrades safe for beginners (like me)?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    06 Mar 2017 #5
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 78
    Win10

    Quote Originally Posted by BRKKAB View Post
    Balanced power plan and the lower power plan are both for laptops/ultrabooks/tablets to save battery power so the battery takes longer to need charging.
    WTF, no it's not. Why would you want a CPU at 3-4Ghz while surfing the web, watching a movie, doing office stuff or idling?
    That's 3x more power consumption and a lot of heat for nothing.


    @Dorian Hawkmoon
    Do you have any issues, slowdowns in games or the CPU is hot while idling?
    Until these things get patched up you could make a keyboard shortcut to quickly switch between power plans.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    06 Mar 2017 #6
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    A Toasty Oven
    Posts : 16
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack07 View Post
    WTF, no it's not. Why would you want a CPU at 3-4Ghz while surfing the web, watching a movie, doing office stuff or idling?
    That's 3x more power consumption and a lot of heat for nothing.


    @Dorian Hawkmoon
    Do you have any issues, slowdowns in games or the CPU is hot while idling?
    Until these things get patched up you could make a keyboard shortcut to quickly switch between power plans.
    CPU is running a bit hot. I know it's an eight core, but still. Idling 51c is a bit warmer even in here!
    How do I do that, is it safe changing plans that frequently?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    06 Mar 2017 #7
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 78
    Win10

    Here is how to make a shortcut, yes it's safe: Create a Shortcut or Hotkey to Switch Power Plans

    I think 51C is about right if it's idling in high performance profile with stock cooler.

    If you get 51C in idle while using the Balanced profile then maybe it's really hot where you are, you don't have a good air flow in you case, improper cooler installation, windows not managing well..
    Use something like Aida64 and see if the frequency/temps drop while in idle using the Balanced profile.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    06 Mar 2017 #8
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    A Toasty Oven
    Posts : 16
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Thread Starter

    Thanks!
    Okay. I see. It is about 47-50 in balanced, and 51-52 in performance mode. Stock cooler. I'm changing my aging case soon. Let's see. Planning on Antec GX505 at a discount at local retailer's. Can't afford anything else available here.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    06 Mar 2017 #9
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 920
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by BRKKAB View Post
    Yeah, why aren't you using a High Performance power setting on a desktop pc?. Balanced power plan and the lower power plan are both for laptops/ultrabooks/tablets to save battery power so the battery takes longer to need charging.
    Neither are for desktop pc's which need constant electricity to work.
    As mentioned above watch some YouTube videos on your Ryzen 1700 cpu, especially so if you play games a lot on your pc.

    Also, check your motherboard manufacturer's website for any UEFI & driver updates, too.
    Because 90% of the time I am not doing anything that needs full power. No sense in wasting electricity.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    06 Mar 2017 #10
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    A Toasty Oven
    Posts : 16
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Thread Starter

    Done. Assigned icons too :-) Balanced and Performance mode, two shortcuts.
    Last edited by Dorian Hawkmoon; 07 Mar 2017 at 11:00.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Intel should be very worried about AMD's Ryzen 7 processors
Read more: Intel should be very worried about AMD's Ryzen 7 processors | ZDNet
Windows 10 News
AMD Virtually Confirms That Ryzen Launch Will Take Place At GDC 2017
Read more: AMD Virtually Confirms That Ryzen Launch Will Take Place At GDC 2017 | MobiPicker
Windows 10 News
MSI unleashes more than 30 new Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen motherboards
Keep reading! MSI unleashes more than 30 new Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen motherboards | PCWorld
Windows 10 News
AMD reveals an army of Ryzen PCs and AM4 motherboards
Keep reading! AMD reveals an army of Ryzen PCs and AM4 motherboards | PCWorld See also: AMD Showcases High-Performance Ecosystem Ready for Ryzen™ Including PCs and AM4 Motherboards from Technology Partners
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums