Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1.    22 Feb 2017 #1
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 14
    Win10

    Unable to Use Unallocated Space to Extend Partition


    I just cloned my 250 GB SSD to a 500 GB SSD and installed the 500 GB SSD into my laptop. There is about 228 GB that is unallocated. I want to extend the D partition to use all of this unallocated space (unless it's a good idea to leave some space unallocated)?

    I've installed Minitool Partition Wizard Free. When I right click the D drive in Minitool and selected "Extend," only the C drive is available in the drop-down "Take Free Space From." The unallocated space is not available to select.

    Suggestions?

    TIA.

    UserTen


    . Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Copy.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	122403
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    22 Feb 2017 #2
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Crewe Cheshire
    Posts : 1,451
    windows 10

    Welcome to the forum. Its very simple first you have to move the two paritions after d to the right so the free space is next to d then you can extend d no problem
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    22 Feb 2017 #3
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 14
    Win10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Samuria View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Its very simple first you have to move the two paritions after d to the right so the free space is next to d then you can extend d no problem
    Thanks for the Welcome and for the reply.

    Now for the stupid follow-up question; how do I move those two partitions?

    UserTen
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    22 Feb 2017 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2016
    Crewe Cheshire
    Posts : 1,451
    windows 10

    follow the tutor How to Move/Resize Partition | MiniTool Partition Wizard Tutorial plenty of other tutors on youtube
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    22 Feb 2017 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 2,146
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64

    @UserTen
    From Minitool
    1. Right click on the 25GB partition (last partition)->Move/Resize, a windows popup, click and hold then drag to the end.
    2. Next, drag 4GB partition (next to last partition) to the end.
    3. Next, move the mouse cursor to the end of D drive until you see 2 vertical bars, click and drag it to the end to extend it, click OK
    4. On top left corner, click apply to commit the change.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    22 Feb 2017 #6
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 14
    Win10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Samuria View Post
    follow the tutor How to Move/Resize Partition | MiniTool Partition Wizard Tutorial plenty of other tutors on youtube
    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    From Minitool
    1. Right click on the 25GB partition (last partition)->Move/Resize, a windows popup, click and hold then drag to the end.
    2. Next, drag 4GB partition (next to last partition) to the end.
    3. Next, Right click on D Drive->Move/Resize, move the mouse cursor to the end of D drive until you see 2 vertical bars, click and drag it to the end to extend it, click OK
    4. On top left corner, click apply to commit the change.

    Thanks! I'd watched the tutorial but somehow missed the fact that the partition could be dragged.

    For whatever reason, there was no option to move the 4GB partition. But it was indicating that it was 100% empty. I'm not really sure why it was there but I rolled the dice and deleted it. I was able to move the remaining 25GB partition all the way to the right. After selecting Extend for the D partition, the Unallocated space was now selectable from the drop-down.

    Again, thanks for the clarification.

    UserTen.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    22 Feb 2017 #7
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 2,146
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by UserTen View Post
    Thanks! I'd watched the tutorial but somehow missed the fact that the partition could be dragged.

    For whatever reason, there was no option to move the 4GB partition. But it was indicating that it was 100% empty. I'm not really sure why it was there but I rolled the dice and deleted it. I was able to move the remaining 25GB partition all the way to the right. After selecting Extend for the D partition, the Unallocated space was now selectable from the drop-down.

    Again, thanks for the clarification.

    UserTen.
    @UserTen
    FYI, the 4GB partition is not empty and was marked as "OEM" and Minitool did not recognize it. By deleting this partition, you broke the capability to restore Windows back to the original state.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    22 Feb 2017 #8
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 14
    Win10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    @UserTen
    FYI, the 4GB partition was marked as "OEM" and Minitool did not recognize it. It's not empty. By deleting this partition, you broke the capability to restore Windows back to the original state.
    I was unable to move it. The option was not there. Is there anyway to restore this partition?

    UserTen
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    22 Feb 2017 #9
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 2,146
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by UserTen View Post
    I was unable to move it. The option was not there. Is there anyway to restore this partition?

    UserTen
    Do you still have the original from 250GB ? if so:
    1. On the 500GB SSD, shrink 4GB from D drive by right click on D->Move/Resize, drag to the left for 4GB, click OK
    2. On 250GB, right click on the 4GB partition->Copy
    3. select 4GB unallocated partition as destination to copy to.
    4. click Apply.


    Post back the result.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    22 Feb 2017 #10
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 14
    Win10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    Do you still have the original from 250GB ? if so:
    1. On the 500GB SSD, shrink 4GB from D drive by right click on D->Move/Resize, drag to the left for 4GB, click OK
    2. On 250GB, right click on the 4GB partition->Copy
    3. select 4GB unallocated partition as destination to copy to.
    4. click Apply.


    Post back the result.
    Yes, I still have the 250 GB SSD. I just connected it via USB.

    In Minitool, when I right click the D drive and select Move/Resize, I cannot move it to the left. It is already fully left.

    I still have about 30 GB that I left unallocated, to the right of D and to the left of the 25GB recovery partition. Can I used 4GB of that in this instance? If not, I'm not sure how to move 4GB of the D drive to the left.

    UserTen

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Move.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	122421
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Can't extend windows 10 partition into unallocated space
Hi all, Until recently, I ran a dual boot system with Ubuntu - but for business reasons, I uninstalled it (along with it's bootloader). Anyway, I cleared up the hard drive space in the Disk Management app on windows 10, I have about 350GB free...
Drivers and Hardware
How combine unallocated space and add to C: partition?
Below is a screenshot made by MiniTool Free Edition. I would like to combine the two unallocated spaces and add the space to the C: partition. Do I need the paid version to do this? 96363
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Unable to create/combine partition from unallocated space
Hello, I just assembled a new PC. It has a single 4TB hard drive. During Windows 10 installation, I created a 200gb partition to install to as the C: drive. It auto partitioned my drive into a 500MB system reserved partition, my C: drive, and two...
Drivers and Hardware
Combine Unallocated space to System Partition
Greetings all, I had 2 useless partitions, one at the very beginning of my HD and the second at the very end. My setup is GPT Basic btw. I would like to know, using MiniTool Partition Wizard version 9.1, if it is possible to merge these...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Merging Unallocated Space with Primary Partition
After I free upgraded from 8.1 to 10 a new partition showed up. I just deleted it and it became unallocated space. How can I merge this space with my primary partition. Both are on a 256 SSD. When I right click C: in disk management, the...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums