Windows 10: Should I install a Windows 8 printer driver in compatibility mode?
Should I install a Windows 8 printer driver in compatibility mode?
I have a Lexmark X4650 printer, which I need to connect to my Computer (which runs Windows 10). However, the latest version of the driver for my printer (as you can see at this link) was made for Windows 8.
Should I install this driver using the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" option and select Windows 8? Or are Windows 8 drivers more or less identical in nature to Windows 10 drivers?
What's the safest option, and what are the risks associated with either option?
I am not sure if you saw the following which suggests to use the Windows 8, 8.1 drivers.
Products with limited support
These products were developed before Lexmark had knowledge of the re-designed Windows 10 printing system, but will support basic printing features. Microsoft may choose, at its own discretion, to completely discontinue printing support for these products in future Windows 10 operating system updates.
Use existing Windows 8, 8.1 print drivers for the following inkjet models:
- Lexmark S815/S816 (Lexmark S800 Series)
- Lexmark Pro901/Pro902/Pro905 (Pro800-Pro900 Series)
- Lexmark Pro802/Pro805 (Pro800-Pro900 Series)
- Lexmark Pro702/Pro705/Pro706/Pro708 (Pro700 Series)
- Lexmark Pro202/Pro205/Pro208 (Pro200-S500 Series)
- Lexmark S602/S605/S608 (S600 Series)
- Lexmark S502/S505/S508 (Pro200-S500 Series)
- Lexmark S402/S405/S408 (S300-S400 Series)
- Lexmark S302/S305/S308 (S300-S400 Series)
- Lexmark X2650/X2670/X2690 (2600 Series)
- Lexmark X4975/X4950 (4900 Series)
- Lexmark X6675/X6650/X6690 (5600-6600 Series)
- Lexmark X5650/X5690 (5600-6600 Series)
- Lexmark X7675 (7600 Series)
- Lexmark X3650/X3690 (3600-4600 Series)
- Lexmark X2600/X2620/X2630 (2600 Series)
- Lexmark Z2300/Z2330/Z2390 (Z2300 Series)
- Lexmark Z2420/Z2490 (Z2400 Series)
- Lexmark X4630/X4650/X4690 (3600-4600 Series)
But should I use comparability mode, or just install them as is?
I would first try to install them as is.
I am just now struggling in the learning-curve of migrating from Windows 7 to 10. It can be trying. But on the whole I think I am a new fan.
The issue for this post is how to set compatibility mode for (older) apps in Windows 10. I finally, after...
i've updated to windows 10 on my pc and i'm unable to download the driver for my epson sx235w printer to my pc. i've tried the install disc and also via the drivers online. each time it starts to download the drivers it gets stuck on the download...
How to Change Compatibility Mode Settings for Apps in Windows 10
Most apps created for earlier versions of Windows will work in this version of Windows, but some older apps might run poorly or not at all. You can try using compatibility mode or...
I keep getting a window popup saying this program started in compatibility mode ...where is it and how do I turn it off?
I'm doing some research on an old application that I'm taking care of.
As of Windows 8, it works if the Windows compatibility mode is se to "Windows 7" and I confirmed it also works if I set the compatibility mode on Windows 10.
That problem I'm...